Around The NHL 2018/2019

On 2018-07-14 at 12:07 PM, The Unknown Poster said:

It wouldn’t surprise me if they announce Trouba and josh at the same time. 

I'd be shocked. Troubas hearing is Friday. Josh has no arb rights as hes coming off his ELC.. I think Trouba and Lowry are next.. Josh after. 

Well, we're two days away from Trouba's arbitration hearing.  They like to cut things close!

I've seen speculation if it gets to arbitration, Jets would opt for a one year deal to make it easier to trade him (with one year of RFA remaining giving the acquiring team a little bit of leverage).  On the other hand, would they choose a two year deal to maximize the time to either keep negotiating or find the right trade partner?   I'd think if they accept they have to trade him, any team acquiring him surely would insist on talking to him about an extension first.

Just now, The Unknown Poster said:

I thought so too but I guess according to a follow up tweet, its par for the course.  trouba has t know $7 million is ridiculous.  Its just not reasonable.  Probably come in at $5.5.

My biggest concern is how it affects things in the long term. Asking for $7M per year is just straight up greedy and delusional.

That Oberhardt is a piece of ****.

13 minutes ago, blue_gold_84 said:

My biggest concern is how it affects things in the long term. Asking for $7M per year is just straight up greedy and delusional.

That Oberhardt is a piece of ****.

If Friedman is correct that its normal, then so be it.  I think Rich's remark is on point.

12 minutes ago, Rich said:

Of course they are far apart. Both sides will need to give in a negotiation and they will meet somewhere in the middle.  If you start at the low end of what you will accept, you lose.  

We see the Trouba ask and we say, thats crazy.  But the Jets' offer is under-value as well.  Neither side expects to get their number.

If I am correct, in the NHL, the arbitrator picks one of the two sides, right?  So surely, they'd pick the Jets over Trouba's.  If the Jets opt for a two year contract, is Trouba going to leave that much money on the table, just to go through it all again?  Reportedly he was not happy with the "hold out" strategy last time and went back because he was sick of not playing and not being paid.

I think they get a deal done. 

14 minutes ago, The Unknown Poster said:

If Friedman is correct that its normal, then so be it.  I think Rich's remark is on point.

We see the Trouba ask and we say, thats crazy.  But the Jets' offer is under-value as well.  Neither side expects to get their number.

If I am correct, in the NHL, the arbitrator picks one of the two sides, right?  So surely, they'd pick the Jets over Trouba's.  If the Jets opt for a two year contract, is Trouba going to leave that much money on the table, just to go through it all again?  Reportedly he was not happy with the "hold out" strategy last time and went back because he was sick of not playing and not being paid.

I know youre UFA eligible when you turn 26 but dont you also turn UFA if you've signed 3 contracts?

If lets says the arb gives it to Trouba - which is too much for Trouba IMHO - and the Jets take it as a 1 year deal - that make him UFA next year@ 25 instead of 2020/26.

32 minutes ago, The Unknown Poster said:

I thought the arbitrator is supposed to find middle ground, no...?

I really hope the two sides get a deal done, and it's a long-term deal. I just dislike the optics, which look bad when the past is revisited. (I'm not one of those fans but there are a lot in this fanbase who still begrudge him for what happened two years ago)

7 minutes ago, Floyd said:

Seems to be a rudimentary misunderstanding of how negotiations work on this board...

If Trouba is asking $7 mill a year as his starting point, a 5.5 or 6 million contract really does not seem out of reach at all.

I think a seven year deal gets done before arbitration.

Yes.  He knows he's not getting $7.  Jets know they're paying for more than $4.  Seems within reach.  If Trouba wants to be here, it can be done.  if he wants out in two years, then it wont.

44 minutes ago, Floyd said:

Seems to be a rudimentary misunderstanding of how negotiations work on this board...

If Trouba is asking $7 mill a year as his starting point, a 5.5 or 6 million contract really does not seem out of reach at all.

I think a seven year deal gets done before arbitration.

A little harsh - you don't know what most of us do daily.  I will admit my knowledge of NHL arbitration isn't at expert level, but I think a few of us were just commenting on what seems to be a pretty preposterous situation, where the two sides go in so far apart.  It makes it appear unnecessarily combative, when in fact Trouba and the Jets relationship may be quite cordial.