DI's

Booch

Looking at our roster make-up...ratio..etc....I'm wondering who the DI's are going to be

Obviously Medlock and one of OPO and Roh

But after that it's a crap shoot.

Demski and Fogg (who I assume grabbed a HB spot) can return punts...Augustine can return kick-offs as could Fogg and Demski, so really I don't see a need for Lankford to be one right away...that be a waste if we could dress a Washington or Tompkins in his spot. 

Also, with the flexibility of Gaitor/Fogg/Fenner/Alexander to play multiple positions do we not dress an import DB and use Jones/Morgan on the corner and move Alexander inside..freeing up say a spot for a Flanders or another import receiver or will it be Wilson at LB? I almost think in game we would be fine with Briggs/Miles as back-up LB's to allow us to use DI in a different way

46 minutes ago, Booch said:

Looking at our roster make-up...ratio..etc....I'm wondering who the DI's are going to be

Obviously Medlock and one of OPO and Roh

But after that it's a crap shoot.

Demski and Fogg (who I assume grabbed a HB spot) can return punts...Augustine can return kick-offs as could Fogg and Demski, so really I don't see a need for Lankford to be one right away...that be a waste if we could dress a Washington or Tompkins in his spot. 

Also, with the flexibility of Gaitor/Fogg/Fenner/Alexander to play multiple positions do we not dress an import DB and use Jones/Morgan on the corner and move Alexander inside..freeing up say a spot for a Flanders or another import receiver or will it be Wilson at LB? I almost think in game we would be fine with Briggs/Miles as back-up LB's to allow us to use DI in a different way

A big part of the equation is whether Hardrick or Foketi will be ready to start on Thursday.  if not, we may start 4 NI's on the OL and that means we can have an extra DI. 

Looking at the current roster, my guess would be Medlock, Bryant, Lankford/Thompkins, Flanders.  Whether we need Lankford depends on if we are comfortable with some combination of Flanders/Augustine and others doing kickoff returns.

Actually if Hardrick and Foketti can't go..and we have to dress 4 national O-lineman to start the game we conceivably don't have to start 2 national receivers and one of Tompkins/Flanders wouldn't have to even be a DI.

I truly hope we 46 Lankford to start the season and see what Demski/Augustine/Fogg do on kick-offs and utilize Tompkins or Washington (if ready to go) as the 4th American receiver. They offer you way more than Lankford as a receiver, and really...not having Lankford on roster as a return guy isn't going to be the reason we lose a game...but a big bodied stud receiver could be a reason you win a game

2 hours ago, sweep the leg said:

Barring changes due to injury/returns from injury, I think di's will be Lankford, Flanders, Medlock, & de.

I think you got it for now any way. I dont think lankford finishes the year here (think/hope.) And I could see flanders being replaced with all the threats we have on offense. We could use petermann and demski in the exact same role and free up a DI spot. Maybe wild when he is healthy, or fogg when MO is healthy. 

We might also end up moving an IMP de. I really think corney is ready to take a much bigger role on our D. We could use thomas and corney to rotate our DL and start another nuck AND free up a DI spot. 

2 hours ago, M.O.A.B. said:

Fogg will be a starter

he certainly will to start. but as a db we've basically seen a half year of crazy turn overs from him and so so coverage at best. Maybe he turns the corner this year thatd be great. but its an awful large corner to round. 

I am not sure exactly how the rules work but unless you are starting more the than the limit of national players, you have to declare the number of nationals on offense and the number on defense .... how that gets changed I don't know

For example perhaps our defense is overwhelming but our offense is having trouble getting out of a wet paper bag ... so we want to get Flanders on  the field at the expense of one of our four import D-Linemen (Thomas and Corney platooning will take over to increase our nationals on defense by one) ... can this be done anytime or at all?

Edited by BigBlue

7 hours ago, BigBlue said:

I am not sure exactly how the rules work but unless you are starting more the than the limit of national players, you have to declare the number of nationals on offense and the number on defense .... how that gets changed I don't know

For example perhaps our defense is overwhelming but our offense is having trouble getting out of a wet paper bag ... so we want to get Flanders on  the field at the expense of one of our four import D-Linemen (Thomas and Corney platooning will take over to increase our nationals on defense by one) ... can this be done anytime or at all?

i would like to know this as well.

How it works is you declare before the game that you will use X amount of National starters on offense...and X amount of National starters on defense, and this has to be maintained throughout the game.

You don't have to declare "who" they are...you just need to maintain the number you declared.

So if the offense is sucking you would have to remove an import o-lineman with your Canadian back-up to get in an extra import receiver

And as said above...a DI can come in only for another American...unless you are staring more than the required Nationals...then he can come for whomever

Edited by Booch

7 minutes ago, Booch said:

How it works is you declare before the game that you will use X amount of National starters on offense...and X amount of National starters on defense, and this has to be maintained throughout the game.

You don't have to declare "who" they are...you just need to maintain the number you declared.

So if the offense is sucking you would have to remove an import o-lineman with your Canadian back-up to get in an extra import receiver

And as said above...a DI can come in only for another American...unless you are staring more than the required Nationals...then he can come for whomever

The DI has to sub in for an American always.  If you start more than the minimum of Canadians you have a situation where you have import backups who aren’t DI’s.  Those guys can sub in anytime for anyone because for the purpose of the ratio they are essentially American starters.

9 minutes ago, JuranBoldenRules said:

The DI has to sub in for an American always.  If you start more than the minimum of Canadians you have a situation where you have import backups who aren’t DI’s.  Those guys can sub in anytime for anyone because for the purpose of the ratio they are essentially American starters.

Was just going to say this, you start more Canadians than required you have room on the roster for american backups who aren't DIs. 

18 hours ago, Floyd said:

What would the benefit of Flanders be?  Demski/Augustine/LaFrance are basically taking his place and he's not really a return guy...

Lankford, Medlock, Okpo, Fogg would be my guess...

I wouldn't di Flanders either, but I still think they'll dress him, barring Wild being cleared to play. Fogg will likely be starting.

1 hour ago, sweep the leg said:

I wouldn't di Flanders either, but I still think they'll dress him, barring Wild being cleared to play. Fogg will likely be starting.

We might end up DIing mo for a while allowing him to ease back into game shape having missed all of tc and pre season. (soo much for him being fully recovered in january)

2 hours ago, JuranBoldenRules said:

This is interesting, I didn't know any of this stuff.

last year they started more than the minimum amount of Canadians and some people were grumbling. but there is obviously an upside to doing this.

thanks.

Edited by Mark F

The ratio really is a simple thing but I find the problem people have understanding it comes down to how it is presented. Too many people think there is a minimum number of Canadian players that need to be on a roster and starting. That is not the case at all, the ratio is set up to limit the number of American players on a roster. Once you start to view the ratio through that lens all the rules are much simpler to understand. 

48 minutes ago, BigBlue said:

So do we start Corney to get to one over the National requirement and sub freely as needed?

DIs still can't sub freely and if you were to start Corney and make an offensive guy not a DI then all we're doing is weakening the defensive line cause I don't see any depth behind Corney. He gets hurt we can't just throw in the DE that is a DI. 

1 hour ago, 17to85 said:

DIs still can't sub freely and if you were to start Corney and make an offensive guy not a DI then all we're doing is weakening the defensive line cause I don't see any depth behind Corney. He gets hurt we can't just throw in the DE that is a DI. 

The D-line could juggle Corney and Thomas throughout the game but I think that would diminish it's effectiveness substantially.