BC X:: Game Day Thread

BigBlue

TSN's commentary is an embarrassment.  On the play where Seisay got an accidental pass interference when his foot contacted the feet of the receiver the commentator literally said the BC receiver had a step if not for the penalty.  How the heck do you have a step when your feet literally contact the DB's feet????

50 minutes ago, TheSource said:

So who starts in secondary?

Loffler, Randal, and Gaitor are locks.

Who will be the other two?

I still like Alexandre as a corner. He struggled as a halfback today.  I say Gaitor and Leggett as halfbacks and Alexander as the corner opposite Randle.

I could not stay awake for the 2nd half...  

For Streveler was he off on his throws,  making bad reads,   receivers dropping the ball,    oline not holding up...    just curious to know where he struggled at.

When I watched Bennett he was making the right reads and most of his incompletions was either the ball came out to late or he was off on his target.   To me it seemed more like an issue with him being rusty then him being scared and making bad plays.

4 hours ago, Brandon said:

I could not stay awake for the 2nd half...  

For Streveler was he off on his throws,  making bad reads,   receivers dropping the ball,    oline not holding up...    just curious to know where he struggled at.

When I watched Bennett he was making the right reads and most of his incompletions was either the ball came out to late or he was off on his target.   To me it seemed more like an issue with him being rusty then him being scared and making bad plays.

I think Bennett just started practicing this past week, so he is way behind and was mostly relying on his athletic ability.  As for Streveler a bit from column A a bit from column B, no surprise he looked like a raw rookie and didn't seem to be able to read the field very well so he resorted to a lot of dump offs and relied on his legs a bit too much.  First series he threw a nice ball right into the hands of a BC defender for a quick pick-6 which probably rattled his psych a little bit.

Edited by Throw Long Bannatyne

Yeah I think Bennett was more an issue of he just rushed things too much once he decided where to go...

He made right reads. Didn't lock into a target pre snap..he just got too rushed for no reason other than rust and eagerness to look good and didn't let it develop...he went to the right spot with ball tho. He impressed with basically 2 days of practice.

The dline as well was real good.. wore down a bit but in a pinch that whole group could play a regular season game and not hurt you. Sad that there is gonna need to be some cuts there.

Montgomery and Bryant could start in my opinion but who do you replace..Casher too looked good ..so some tough decisions there but I would not be shocked if all 3 are kept here on PR..IR or somehow..and if we gotta cut ties with a OPO or Nevis..or even both we wont be hurting from it.

Looks like Corney too has really stepped up his progression..I can see him this year making some impact plays..

Gaitor I think confirmed a halfback spot..Seisay too impressed and he just got back from injury so he will improve more..PR spot for him for sure. 

I see first game a DB group of Loffler..Randle..Gaitor..Alexander..Walker and Fogg in some capacity to start season and Jones..Conteh and Branning on roster as foot soldiers...with our linebacking crew and front 4..they should fare much better than last year.

I think Spooner showed he can be a viable backup..along with Couture..I see no oline worries at all with starters and backups unless we get hit with a rash of injuries but then no team can withstand that too well.

Also I can't see Augustine not making roster...he blocks really well..runs hard..can catch and play teams.. he may make it hard for Lafrance to get on roster if you ask me..and I'm just fine with that

Between listening to Suitor which made me gag, and the fact our backups were playing against their starters, I gave up on the game after the 3rd quarter. I've been very impressed with our Canadian draft picks and overall depth. The team we fielded last night was up against it, and to think that we had the lead at the half is indicative of the strength of our backups and PR guys.

Some tough cuts will have to be made, some guys will hit the 6 game IR, and away we go! If we can survive the first 3rd of the season and be around .500 we will be fine.

I want to see Streeveler as our 3rd string short yardage guy, and let him run the ball. If he's second string I'm okay with that as well.

You have to like the fact that, for the 1st time, we had 3 QBs who looked competent. Aside from the obvious inexperience, they all did some good things. This pre-season game was very valuable for them to get live action against different personnel. 

It looked like Ross squeaked out the right to start against Edmonton but, Bennett, with virtually no practice, showed well, and Streveler continued on his development path.

The only good thing about the injury to Nichols was that it gave the Bombers a ‘free’ game to get a good look at what they have  at back ups at QB. 

Dare they even continue the rotation of these guys during their evaluations??

Was just rewatching the game and on the first Streveler pass that was almost picked off, Odell Willis dropped back in to coverage. I was under the impression that most teams just ran vanilla schemes. Anyone else think it was odd Wally would be dropping defensive ends in to coverage in preseason?

8 hours ago, Gotmilt said:

Was just rewatching the game and on the first Streveler pass that was almost picked off, Odell Willis dropped back in to coverage. I was under the impression that most teams just ran vanilla schemes. Anyone else think it was odd Wally would be dropping defensive ends in to coverage in preseason?

In the CFL that's not much above vanilla to be honest.

the vanilla schemes thing too is a bit of a not always true...They did several different looks and stunts that were far from vanilla...Strev's seen a few things that were new to him that game...and it was a good thing as thats how you learn.

He didn't look as calm and settled as in first game, but that being said if he had played behind his regulars against what basically was BC's 1st stringers well into the 3rd quarter he would have looked a bit better....

22 minutes ago, 17to85 said:

BC wanted to win that game plain and simple, why else was the #1 offense out there into the third quarter? BC wanted the win, Winnipeg was looking at their backups. 

All teams play to win.  They kept Jennings out there so that he could get a taste of success.  Our D team won the first half.  BC needed our E team (and Rifles players) to finally get on track.

4 hours ago, Bigblue204 said:

In the CFL that's not much above vanilla to be honest.

Yes but having your entire first eam defence and first team offence out there while not playing vanilla is pretty dirty, especially when we bring our D team and by all accounts didn't do anything out of the ordinary. Everything about that game was a little odd from a BC standpoint.

26 minutes ago, Gotmilt said:

Yes but having your entire first eam defence and first team offence out there while not playing vanilla is pretty dirty, especially when we bring our D team and by all accounts didn't do anything out of the ordinary. Everything about that game was a little odd from a BC standpoint.

Wally wanted to put on a show for the fans and leave with a V, that was his priority.  Totally new O scheme in BC so it should take them extra time to gel.