Bombers moving to the West next year

sweep the leg

Will be no need for divisions when there is 10 teams in the league. Hopefully one day it will happen.

doesn't it make more sense to have divisions when the team is larger?

also, I'm trying to think back to when Ottawa was in the league last time, was there a  lot of byes with the odd number of teams?

With 10 teams you would have 2 games against every team to get your 18 games. So no need to have a division.

I think having 9 stable franchises will be enough of a struggle.  Let's find the Argos a place to play first.

That is why they have not eliminated the bye week when there was an even number of teams, in anticipation of the rotating byes required to facilitate scheduling for 9 teams next year.

Most efficient thing in my opinion is every team gets two bye weeks. With one team per week getting a bye? Does this work with 18 games?

I remember once (Montreal?) a team getting the bye week the last week of the season and also having won the division. That's a looong break. I also remember the Bombers getting the bye in the last week and having missed the playoffs. They were home for Halloween.

Yuck.  Hate this honestly.  I grew up with the Bombers playing in the East the majority of the time, and for that reason I think of us now as an Eastern team, even though I am well aware of the geographical location of our city.  Plus the East right now is a mess, and I'd rather be there.  We're going to get pummeled in the West.

That is why they have not eliminated the bye week when there was an even number of teams, in anticipation of the rotating byes required to facilitate scheduling for 9 teams next year.

Most efficient thing in my opinion is every team gets two bye weeks. With one team per week getting a bye? Does this work with 18 games?

One team will have to play 2 in a week in pre-season, another team will have to play 2 in a week regular season, otherwise it works with a 20 week season.  So every 9th season you'll have a brutal week.

Yuck.  Hate this honestly.  I grew up with the Bombers playing in the East the majority of the time, and for that reason I think of us now as an Eastern team, even though I am well aware of the geographical location of our city.  Plus the East right now is a mess, and I'd rather be there.  We're going to get pummeled in the West.

It's good as now there's more urgency to build a better team & not rely on weaker teams to prop us up. I'm great with this because we are a Western city.

Not that there's a HUGE difference, but this should make travel easier, as we'll play more games vs West teams, which in theory is cheaper than going out to East Ont/PQ multiple times per year. 

While I despise the league constantly jerking us around and using us as a toy, it does make more sense for us to be in the West.

I love that the Bombers will be back in the West.  Now all we need to do is go back to those sweet Banjo Bowl jerseys full time.

Personally, I'd like to do away with the East/West and have a single division where the top 6 teams make the playoffs.

Three games vs Regina per year... What do we call the third game?

Bongo Bowl.

It's good as now there's more urgency to build a better team & not rely on weaker teams to prop us up. I'm great with this because we are a Western city.

When you are 2-8 there shouldn't need to be more urgency to build a better team.  Sorry, not buying it.

Wade Miller isn't sitting in his office going "Oh, we're in the West now?  **** I guess this team does need to improve quickly."

When you are 2-8 there shouldn't need to be more urgency to build a better team.  Sorry, not buying it.

Wade Miller isn't sitting in his office going "Oh, we're in the West now?  **** I guess this team does need to improve quickly."

Well, you read the comments here about playing in the West being harder.... We won't have Ottawa to fall back on... But we will have Edmonton. ;)

So we get this:

2 divisions

one 5 team division West 

one 4 team division East

Each west team plays the each east team twice (home and away) = 8 games

Each west team plays the each west team 2 times plus two teams an extra time = 4x2 = 8 + 2 = 10 games 

for a total of 18

Each east team plays each west team 2 times = 10 games

Each east team play each east team 2 times plus two teams twice = 3x2= 6 + 2 =8 games

The East would then alternate the teams that they didn't play 3 times in the 1st instance.

It would take 3 years to even out the amount  each team played each other 3 times.

Have I got that right?

I love that the Bombers will be back in the West.  Now all we need to do is go back to those sweet Banjo Bowl jerseys full time.

Personally, I'd like to do away with the East/West and have a single division where the top 6 teams make the playoffs.

Three games vs Regina per year... What do we call the third game?

This is where it gets touchy.

With and unbalanced schedule, we would only play Sask 3 times every two years.

For example, one year we play Cal Sask 3 times, the next year BC Edm 3 times or something to that effect.

no more free pass flukes to the Grey Cup like we got in 2007 and 2011, now we have to earn it like in 1984.

1984 was actually kinda like 2007 -- in 2007 we got past the Als without Calvillo, in 1984 we got past the Lions without Dewalt.

I hated Roy Dewalt as a kid.  Him and Mervyn Fernandez ate us alive over and over.

Not that there's a HUGE difference, but this should make travel easier, as we'll play more games vs West teams, which in theory is cheaper than going out to East Ont/PQ multiple times per year. 

It's a good thing WestJet is adding direct flights between Winnipeg and Regina in the new year otherwise it wouldn't be easier or cheaper to be in the West.