TSN 1, 2, 3, 4 & 5

BigBlue

I was very frustrated this weekend losing the end of the Rough Riders game to a Calgary start AND not seeing the beginning of the Bomber game.

I know there must be some meaning to the 5 different channels TSN has but I never know how to program my PVR so that this kind of stuff doesn't happen.

Which channel from 1 to 5 focuses in on Winnipeg? Does anybody understand the priorities of the other channels?

There is nothing I'd rather hear less then the announcer saying blah blah blah but go to TSN for to see the rest of this game, if as and when they do that.

Why does TSN use numbers instead of geography to label its channels?

Signed

Very Frustrated!

TSN3 is the Winnipeg channel.  They showed the beginning of the Bomber game as the rest of the Argo game continued on the other channels.

The Jets game was supposed to be online on TSNGo but that was a nightmare.  It didn't work until the 3rd period and even then they mistakenly spent half the time in a birds eye view from 500 feet away.  Just total incompetence from TSN this weekend.

8 minutes ago, Noeller said:

Anyone with half a brain could figure out what was up last night. Was not a big deal. As soon as I saw the first game was close to OT, I changed channels and got the PVR setting switched... 

The problem is ten has no consistency. Some weeks they stay with the game in progress, other weeks they start the next game and move the one in progress to another channel. It's ******* stupid.

Yeah I mean two games I watched they instantly cut off the game that was currently playing and went to the start of the next game.  If you wanted to continue watching the game that was playing you had to switch to a different tsn channel.  Then last night; since the last two CFL games I watched did this I expected that once it hit 7:30 we would see the message continue watching this game on TSN X and the bomber game would start.  Unfortunately it didn't, the frustrating thing is I only have TSN 1.  I realized about 6 minutes into the first quarter that my cable login would work on TSN GO and was able to get connected to watch TSN 3 but my expectation based on previous games was that I wouldn't have needed to find a method to stream the game.  It was quite frustrating; if they consistently said X game will be on X channel than I would know.  I mean according to my guide the Winnipeg game was supposed to be on TSN 1 so it isn't like they didn't say it would be there.

Also one is implying that if you are PVRing the game you are there watching it so it is possible to switch your PVR; isn't the point of PVR so that you can record the game when you aren't available and still be able to watch it at a later time?  Ideally to me they need to indicate in their schedule the plans that will happen if a game is delayed or goes into overtime to make things more accessible for the viewers.

Edited by Tehedra

25 minutes ago, Tehedra said:

Yeah I mean two games I watched they instantly cut off the game that was currently playing and went to the start of the next game.  If you wanted to continue watching the game that was playing you had to switch to a different tsn channel.  Then last night; since the last two CFL games I watched did this I expected that once it hit 7:30 we would see the message continue watching this game on TSN X and the bomber game would start.  Unfortunately it didn't, the frustrating thing is I only have TSN 1.  I realized about 6 minutes into the first quarter that my cable login would work on TSN GO and was able to get connected to watch TSN 3 but my expectation based on previous games was that I wouldn't have needed to find a method to stream the game.  It was quite frustrating; if they consistently said X game will be on X channel than I would know.  I mean according to my guide the Winnipeg game was supposed to be on TSN 1 so it isn't like they didn't say it would be there.

Also one is implying that if you are PVRing the game you are there watching it so it is possible to switch your PVR; isn't the point of PVR so that you can record the game when you aren't available and still be able to watch it at a later time?  Ideally to me they need to indicate in their schedule the plans that will happen if a game is delayed or goes into overtime to make things more accessible for the viewers.

You nailed my concern and my frustration .

On 10/1/2017 at 11:26 AM, Noeller said:

Anyone with half a brain could figure out what was up last night. Was not a big deal. As soon as I saw the first game was close to OT, I changed channels and got the PVR setting switched... 

easily done when you are at home.. when you are at work on the other hand...

I actually think this is the most legit thread hes started lol.  his gripe is accurate for once.  they should say "TSN 3 is winnipeg feed in case of..." and so on and so on for other areas..

no?

On 10/1/2017 at 11:36 AM, 17to85 said:

The problem is ten has no consistency. Some weeks they stay with the game in progress, other weeks they start the next game and move the one in progress to another channel. It's ******* stupid.

and ridiculously hard to choose which channel to record from..  I agree, TSN dropped the ball on this, this season.

1 hour ago, Sard said:

Yes, that channel started out as TSN Jets, but when they went to the new numbering scheme it was TSN 3.  I believe TSN 5 was Ottawa, not sure about 2 and 4 though.

TSN2 isn't regional.  It is still like it was before when it was just TSN 1 and 2.... it's a "specialty" channel.  You will often find that TSN 1/3/4/5 show the same thing while TSN2 shows something else.  That's because TSN 1/3/4/5 function as the regional defaults... meaning if you only have analog (non-digital) cable, or a basic package, you get just one TSN and whichever one it is depends on your region.  If you only have access to one TSN in Winnipeg, it is TSN3.  Here's how the regions break down:

TSN1: Primary feed for British Columbia, Alberta and Yukon

TSN3: Primary feed for Saskatchewan, Manitoba, Nunavut, Northwest Territories and parts of Northern Ontario.

TSN4: Primary feed for Ontario, excluding Ottawa.

TSN5: Primary feed for Ottawa, parts of Southeastern Ontario, Quebec and all Atlantic Canada.

:18_kissing_heart:

Edited by Atomic

18 minutes ago, mbrg said:

Normally I agree with 17to85 just so he doesn't yell at me, but in this case he's also right - TSN cut away from the first game on Friday and stuck with the first game on Saturday.  That's really stupid.

Have a policy.  Stick to it.  Someone's going to be mad anyways.  Probably 17to85.

They did cut away if you were on TSN3.