2017 NHL Playoffs

Noeller

Pens do not have to protect Fleury.  But he is eligible for selection by Vegas.  They have to leave either Fleury or Murray exposed.

Im not sold on Vegas taking Helle either.  But I dont think the Jets will gamble.  Id love to see MAF here though. Helle is an RFA and will probably return with a good contract for the team since he under performed.  You could easily pay a starting goalie for a couple years with Helle as back up and if hes good enough, as the 1B with Comrie pushing.

Jets seem to want competition at every position but they havent done anything to create competition in net.

3 minutes ago, Atomic said:

I'm still a little unclear over whether the Pens must protect Fleury or not.

Presumably if we are comfortable with Fleury for the next 2 years then we could expose Helle and tab Comrie as the goalie of the future (which he really is, anyways).  On the other hand I'm still not sold on Vegas necessarily taking Helle if he's available.

Fleury has a NMC, one of the following has to happen:

1. He has to agree to waive his NMC to be exposed
  2. He gets traded to one of the teams on his submitted list and they protect him
  3. Pittsburgh does nothing, is forced to protect Fleury and exposes Murray

Click here then click on Pittsburgh:

https://www.capfriendly.com/expansion-draft

1 minute ago, The Unknown Poster said:

Pens do not have to protect Fleury.  But he is eligible for selection by Vegas.  They have to leave either Fleury or Murray exposed.

Im not sold on Vegas taking Helle either.  But I dont think the Jets will gamble.  Id love to see MAF here though. Helle is an RFA and will probably return with a good contract for the team since he under performed.  You could easily pay a starting goalie for a couple years with Helle as back up and if hes good enough, as the 1B with Comrie pushing.

Jets seem to want competition at every position but they havent done anything to create competition in net.

Are you sure about this?   How do you figure this when he has a NMC?

2 minutes ago, Rich said:

Fleury has a NMC, one of the following has to happen:

1. He has to agree to waive his NMC to be exposed
  2. He gets traded to one of the teams on his submitted list and they protect him
  3. Pittsburgh does nothing, is forced to protect Fleury and exposes Murray

Click here then click on Pittsburgh:

https://www.capfriendly.com/expansion-draft

Thanks Rich that clears it up.  So like I thought, it is in Fleury's hands to decide where he ends up.  I personally don't see him waiving his NMC and certainly not to come to Winnipeg.  However maybe we could pry Matt Murray out of Pittsburgh.  I'd pay a king's ransom.  Any draft picks are on the table and so is anyone not named Scheifele, Laine, or Ehlers.

2 hours ago, The Unknown Poster said:

You are correct.  I thought it was a limited No Trade.  It is a NMC and he DOES have to be protected.  So Pens will protect Fleury or trade him or convince him to waive his NMC and go to Vegas.

Or like Toby buy his contract out. Although Toby's is only 1 yr more.

Edited by FrostyWinnipeg

2 hours ago, Atomic said:

Thanks Rich that clears it up.  So like I thought, it is in Fleury's hands to decide where he ends up.  I personally don't see him waiving his NMC and certainly not to come to Winnipeg.  However maybe we could pry Matt Murray out of Pittsburgh.  I'd pay a king's ransom.  Any draft picks are on the table and so is anyone not named Scheifele, Laine, or Ehlers.

I think he'll waive it and get traded. Imo the Pens will let him choose where he wants to go and accept whatever's offered by that team to make it happen. It's been a great relationship between Fleury and the Pens and I can't see it going sour now.

Fleury is like Pavelec with a better team in front of him...  he's an average goalie who goes on these crazy hot streaks.

Not the goalie for the Jets...  Fleury will not get you into the playoffs but he can take you to the Stanley Cup...

40 minutes ago, Floyd said:

Fleury is like Pavelec with a better team in front of him...  he's an average goalie who goes on these crazy hot streaks.

Not the goalie for the Jets...  Fleury will not get you into the playoffs but he can take you to the Stanley Cup...

Hmm I think that's selling him short just a bit.  He's not average and he's not Pavelec.  He's a former first overall pick with a career .912 save percentage, 3 Stanley Cup final appearances and 2 Stanley Cup wins (albeit "just" 2 appearances and 1 win as the starter).  And it's not like he was playing for a team that just dominated.... that Cup winning Pens team in 2009 had to battle hard for 7 games against a dominant Red Wings team that had just beaten them the year before.  The image of Fleury diving across the net in the final moments of Game 7 to save the win is iconic.  

He's a surefire hall-of-famer and he's showing it again this year.  Without question he would be an improvement over what we have now and would be better than anyone available in free agency.  Marc-Andre Fleury for goalie, Mayor, Premier, and Prime Minister of Canada.  God bless America.

10 hours ago, Atomic said:

Hmm I think that's selling him short just a bit.  He's not average and he's not Pavelec.  He's a former first overall pick with a career .912 save percentage, 3 Stanley Cup final appearances and 2 Stanley Cup wins (albeit "just" 2 appearances and 1 win as the starter).  And it's not like he was playing for a team that just dominated.... that Cup winning Pens team in 2009 had to battle hard for 7 games against a dominant Red Wings team that had just beaten them the year before.  The image of Fleury diving across the net in the final moments of Game 7 to save the win is iconic.  

He's a surefire hall-of-famer and he's showing it again this year.  Without question he would be an improvement over what we have now and would be better than anyone available in free agency.  Marc-Andre Fleury for goalie, Mayor, Premier, and Prime Minister of Canada.  God bless America.

Like I said, Fleury is a playoff goalie... he can win you a cup...  but if he signs with the Jets, we still won't make the playoffs.

11 hours ago, The Unknown Poster said:

Rangers tie up the series. Karlsson hurt 

Looks like they're hoping he can play in Game 5.  It would be a shame if he can't.  IMO the Senators' games have been the most entertaining of the postseason so far, regardless of the hype around the Leafs/Caps series.

Just now, The Unknown Poster said:

So is this to design a failure narrative where its Ovi's fault...and ship him out this summer?

Have you been watching the games?  Ovie is dragging that team down.  He is a gifted goal scorer and a terrible captain.  They will never win with him.  He's moving down to the third line because he plays like he doesn't give a ****.

3 hours ago, The Unknown Poster said:

You dont think Fleury would have helped us get a few more wins over the Helle/Hutch combo this past season?  I'd take that bet.

Any goalie would have.

1 hour ago, The Unknown Poster said:

So is this to design a failure narrative where its Ovi's fault...and ship him out this summer?

What we have to look forward to with Laine.

30 minutes ago, FrostyWinnipeg said:

What we have to look forward to with Laine.

So because Laine looks up to Ovechkin, he is going to be exactly like him? 

Let him be his own player. 

Watching what happens to a player that is his idol may make him want to do things a little different. 

Russian NHL players... you just can't build a team around and be successful cuz they don't care enough. It's how it is. 

Ppl can talk malkin but without Sid he's not as good. 

Russians don't grow up dreaming of winning Stanley cups. 

Canadians Americans even Swedes and Finns do. 

Ovi isn't the only problem tho in Washington and that contract is untradable