2017 NHL Playoffs

Noeller

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/niskanen-tossed-crosby-takes-cross-check-face/

I don't see the five minutes there...  Ovechkin should have got high-sticking but I'm not sure that Crosby was not embellishing the initial high stick, lost his balance and ended up being low when Niskanen is finishing his check.

Bogus if he gets suspended especially after the excuses the NHL made for the Malkin hit on Wheeler....

I have not watched a lot of full games, just parts of games; pretty boring hockey once the playoffs started.

Leafs are fun to watch, also Oilers, and Sharks....

Otherwise I've seen  smothering defence, some remarkable goalkeeping and a fair bit of dump and chase. Goal keeping is fun to watch, but dump and chase / banging along the boards is not.

The Jets do not play that kind of hockey. Do not know if this limits their future.

Edited by Mark F

1 hour ago, Mark F said:

I have not watched a lot of full games, just parts of games; pretty boring hockey once the playoffs started.

Leafs are fun to watch, also Oilers, and Sharks....

Otherwise I've seen  smothering defence, some remarkable goalkeeping and a fair bit of dump and chase. Goal keeping is fun to watch, but dump and chase / banging along the boards is not.

The Jets do not play that kind of hockey. Do not know if this limits their future.

If the Jets get goaltending I think they can be successful in the playoffs.  They are fast and skilled which is the key.  When up against a smothering team we've seen them manage to win those 2-1 games (when they have goaltending) and their speed can be hard for smothering teams to play their style.

If the west is dominated by teams like the Oilers and Jets and the east by Pens and Leafs, who can complain?

1 hour ago, FrostyWinnipeg said:

BREAKING: Mike Sullivan says Sidney Crosby has a concussion and will not play in Game 4.

The fact that he didn't come back in the game was all I needed to know. If he didn't come back of course he had a concussion, guy has a soft melon from previous issues. He's a bit of a band aid, but that's the price he pays for playing the game the way he does. 

13 minutes ago, iHeart said:

where the hell are the sens?

They do look disinterested.

Maybe don't like getting hit.

edit...... on cue, goal senators   :lol:  ..... how tall is pageau?           

Edited by Mark F

25 minutes ago, The Unknown Poster said:

Caps facing elimination.  Pens without letang or Crosby. But they have fleury. 

Anyone think fleury's performance thus far makes Pens reconsider letting him go?

Matt Murray lost his job because of injury, not play.  He got them to the dance, Fleury is just finishing it.  Tough business but I think they still go with Murray next year.

You can have a 22 year old Murray signed for 3.75M the next 3 years and an RFA after that or a 32 year old Fleury signed for 5.75M the next 2 years.

Pens are at the cap, have some interesting contracts coming off the books next year and some RFAs to sign.   That 2M in savings could mean a lot to them in adding those complimentary pieces.

49 games, 32 wins, 2.41 .923

38 games, 18 wins, 3.02, .909

Guess which regular season stat line belongs to which player.

8 hours ago, The Unknown Poster said:

Deal with Vegas to keep both. 

Youre surely right but it's tough. If he plays this well and wins a cup...?

Sometimes great teams have to get rid of great players.  I'm looking at this more like the Pens are increasing the haul they are gonna receive from someone for Fleury.

Of course Fleury still has that pesky NMC so maybe he simply refuses to waive it and they have to lose Murray.  It's an interesting situation.  No one can force him to waive that NMC.

EDIT:  Actually on looking a little closer I guess it is a modified NTC rather than an actual NMC.  In that case I believe it's almost certain he will be traded, regardless of this playoff push.

Edited by Atomic

1 hour ago, Atomic said:

Sometimes great teams have to get rid of great players.  I'm looking at this more like the Pens are increasing the haul they are gonna receive from someone for Fleury.

Of course Fleury still has that pesky NMC so maybe he simply refuses to waive it and they have to lose Murray.  It's an interesting situation.  No one can force him to waive that NMC.

EDIT:  Actually on looking a little closer I guess it is a modified NTC rather than an actual NMC.  In that case I believe it's almost certain he will be traded, regardless of this playoff push.

Pens need a team that will protect Fleury so not a team with their own goalie they want to keep.  ie. Jets arent an option because they wont expose Helle.

2 minutes ago, Brandon said:

Vegas will definitely take Fleury....  The Jets may be able to make a deal with Vegas for a lower quality goalie

I'm still a little unclear over whether the Pens must protect Fleury or not.

1 hour ago, The Unknown Poster said:

Pens need a team that will protect Fleury so not a team with their own goalie they want to keep.  ie. Jets arent an option because they wont expose Helle.

Presumably if we are comfortable with Fleury for the next 2 years then we could expose Helle and tab Comrie as the goalie of the future (which he really is, anyways).  On the other hand I'm still not sold on Vegas necessarily taking Helle if he's available.