Canadian Politics

24 minutes ago, JCon said:

The Liberals were (are) a tire fire and the NDP has never been able to climb out of the hole they dug themselves. I'm more amazed that the PCs elected him leader. This will prove to be a long term disaster for them.

Very good point- that could have actually been much more beneficial to the people of Ontario, if a different leader was chosen.

40 minutes ago, Atomic said:

Expect the Pallister gov to call an election within the next few weeks. A wise move, as the provincial NDP and Liberals support are both in the toilet.

I disagree with the timing. We have fixed election dates and it's not likely that the NDP or Liberals will get their **** together in the next twelve months anyhow.  

It's timed so that they can start laying people off in the fall. 

15 minutes ago, JCon said:

I disagree with the timing. We have fixed election dates and it's not likely that the NDP or Liberals will get their **** together in the next twelve months anyhow.  

Possibly! But then again we have been hearing about all the conservative cuts that would be coming since Pallister got elected and, I am not 100% sure, but I don't believe a single person has been laid off yet. So that may just be fear mongering by the left, just like the privatization of Hydro bogeyman.

1 hour ago, Atomic said:

Possibly! But then again we have been hearing about all the conservative cuts that would be coming since Pallister got elected and, I am not 100% sure, but I don't believe a single person has been laid off yet. So that may just be fear mongering by the left, just like the privatization of Hydro bogeyman.

Actually, there have been and they've only been able to lay people off for the past two months. 

They also tucked a while bunch of money into Enabling Appropriations, which is exactly where you would tuck severance money. 

And, continuing with the previous gov'ts initiatives, not filling positions. 

Edit: It was firmly in their platform that the size of the civil service was too big and voters, I believe, agreed with them. 

Edited by JCon

45 minutes ago, Atomic said:

Well I don't see any sources for those claims

I suppose if you don't look, you won't see them. 

Regarding layoff notices and the Gov'ts plan to reduce jobs:

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/manitoba/manitoba-infrastructure-special-operations-layoff-privatization-1.4960940

Regarding the funds in Enabling Appropriations (page 113) - Internal Service Adjustments:

https://www.gov.mb.ca/asset_library/en/budget2019/estimate-expenditures.pdf

Edited by JCon

On 2019-05-27 at 11:45 AM, wanna-b-fanboy said:

Agreed- I was baffled at Ontario when they elected Ford... Well- let em suffer, maybe they will learn for the next time. 

Liberals had been in power for 15 years which often leads to a change in government when one examines the historical record. Liberals were a tire fire and had done a number on the provinces finances. NDP has never really recovered in Ontario from the Bob Rae years. Now the PCs should have picked anybody other than Ford but thats another issue.

15 minutes ago, JCon said:

I suppose if you don't look, you won't see them. 

Regarding layoff notices and the Gov'ts plan to reduce jobs:

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/manitoba/manitoba-infrastructure-special-operations-layoff-privatization-1.4960940

Regarding the funds in Enabling Appropriations (page 113 - Internal Service Adjustments:

https://www.gov.mb.ca/asset_library/en/budget2019/estimate-expenditures.pdf

Nothing wrong with trimming the fat in government! Very good, financially prudent moves. The private construction industry should benefit from the increased workload.

6 minutes ago, Atomic said:

Nothing wrong with trimming the fat in government! Very good, financially prudent moves. The private construction industry should benefit from the increased workload.

Not saying there is anything wrong with anything. I was pointing out, from a political point-of-view, that calling an early election is likely due to the timing of some other changes. 

3 minutes ago, JCon said:

Not saying there is anything wrong with anything. I was pointing out, from a political point-of-view, that calling an early election is likely due to the timing of some other changes. 

Such as if he has a fall election, the results of the Educational Review will have yet to be released and people won't be able to potentially react to changes by voting against his government?

7 minutes ago, rebusrankin said:

Such as if he has a fall election, the results of the Educational Review will have yet to be released and people won't be able to potentially react to changes by voting against his government?

Yes, that would be one. Second, MGEU civil servants do not have a contract. If you're going to play hardball, you're better to do it with a buffer in case they strike. Third, you've made some cuts to the civil service but better wait until after an election to dig further. Fourth, you just started implementing your ER changes. If things go off the rails, as they are starting already, better have an election now before the full impact is known. 

Edited by JCon

3 minutes ago, Atomic said:

Like I said, excellent timing. The other political leaders in Manitoba are simply outclassed by Pallister right now.

Not really. The opposition is not going to get their #$&* together in the next twelve months. They've effectively cut a year off their mandate going to the polls early. 

Another, thought could be that Pallister is done and wants to wrap up his leadership in the next twenty four months. He really doesn't like the job anyhow. 

56 minutes ago, JCon said:

Not really. The opposition is not going to get their #$&* together in the next twelve months. They've effectively cut a year off their mandate going to the polls early. 

Another, thought could be that Pallister is done and wants to wrap up his leadership in the next twenty four months. He really doesn't like the job anyhow. 

Haha!  You're dreaming. Literally just making stuff up at this point.

3 hours ago, JCon said:

Anyone think Manitoba 150 will really be a big deal come Sept/Oct 2020?

Just have it then.

Or delay it till 2021. Could probably convince the NDP and Liberals :)

It is a given the PCs will win 2-3 in a row.

Edited by FrostyWinnipeg

14 hours ago, Atomic said:

I know of 9 personally.

11 hours ago, Atomic said:

Haha!  You're dreaming. Literally just making stuff up at this point.

The guy who says not a single person has been laid off is accusing someone else of making stuff up?  I guess the 132 people (or vacant positions) that the WRHA got rid of in a single day doesn't count?

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/manitoba/severance-wrha-1.4151130

16 minutes ago, Atomic said:

Long overdue! WRHA was bloated and inefficient.

So now it's just... more inefficient?

17 hours ago, Atomic said:

Well, now you now that there has been cuts. 

And why is the privatization of Hydro so out of the question? MTS was out of the question at one time, we now have Bell and FIlmon made off pretty handsomely with a tidy little profit from that. What did we get from that publicly owned utility? Cell phone bills are going through the roof now.

Edited by wanna-b-fanboy

31 minutes ago, bigg jay said:

At the management level, absolutely!   But that wasn't the point... the fact remains that the PC government has and continues to make cuts where you said they weren't.

I said I wasn't 100% sure. Thank you for the info!

21 minutes ago, wanna-b-fanboy said:

So now it's just... more inefficient?

Well, now you now that there has been cuts. 

And why is the privatization of Hydro so out of the question? MTS was out of the question at one time, we now have Bell and FIlmon made off pretty handsomely with a tidy little profit from that. What did we get from that publicly owned utility? Cell phone bills are going through the roof now.

Hydro privatization would be an unmitigated disaster. I'm totally against it. But we haven't seen anything yet that indicates Pallister is even considering it so until then it is just a scare tactic by the NDP. The NDP recently put out mailers asking voters how they would feel about privatization, trying to gauge whether they could use the privatization bogeyman as an effective attack vector against the PCs. But the PCs themselves have never commented or taken any action towards that end so like I said, it's just a left wing fantasy for now.

34 minutes ago, Atomic said:

I said I wasn't 100% sure. Thank you for the info!

Hydro privatization would be an unmitigated disaster. I'm totally against it. But we haven't seen anything yet that indicates Pallister is even considering it so until then it is just a scare tactic by the NDP. The NDP recently put out mailers asking voters how they would feel about privatization, trying to gauge whether they could use the privatization bogeyman as an effective attack vector against the PCs. But the PCs themselves have never commented or taken any action towards that end so like I said, it's just a left wing fantasy for now.

Hydro? No way on the privatay. I'd rather not privatize Autopac but they could open it to private sources.

Liquor sales definitely. The prices won't go down but do we need gov't employees to sell booze? I wonder how they would handle the physical stores? What to do with them?