Canadian Politics

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgary/alberta-finances-duelling-lying-claims-kenney-phillips-1.5197512

Less than a month ago, Premier Jason Kenney accused the previous NDP government of lying to Albertans about the state of the province's finances.

Now, new numbers put out by his own government paint a different picture, and Kenney is facing similar accusations, himself.

The issue centres around public comments Kenney made in interviews with Calgary Sun columnist Rick Bell.

Is there any additional context to this or is just chalk it up to politics as usual and Kenny lying for political gain?

34 minutes ago, wanna-b-fanboy said:

God damn. I hope the people of Alberta know what they are getting into. 

No they really don't,  but you would be shocked at the number of very smart people I have met who believe Kenney can get the economy booming again.

8 hours ago, 17to85 said:

No they really don't,  but you would be shocked at the number of very smart people I have met who believe Kenney can get the economy booming again.

Was Notley doing a good job? I though she was. The numbers seem to speak for themselves. From what I have read she seemed to govern just left of center with an onus on helping the middle class while still helping the industry. 

3 hours ago, wanna-b-fanboy said:

Was Notley doing a good job? I though she was. The numbers seem to speak for themselves. From what I have read she seemed to govern just left of center with an onus on helping the middle class while still helping the industry. 

That doesn't matter in the slightest, Kenney is ramping up the hate parade over in AB and they're whipping their population into a blind rage, sadly even the most rational of their citizens seems to be buying in.  They're pursuing the political path of threats and intimidation and any entity that stands outside their narrow view is marked as a target.  Be it Notley, Trudeau, BC, Quebec, immigrants, gays, they're all lined up to feel the wrath.

In the age of Trump and hate politics I'm baffled  that a group of Canadians would willingly pull our country into the quagmire that awaits, I honestly thought we were better than that.

Edited by Throw Long Bannatyne

6 minutes ago, Throw Long Bannatyne said:

That doesn't matter in the slightest, Kenney is ramping up the hate parade over in AB and they're whipping their population into a blind rage, sadly even the most rational of their citizens seems to be buying in.  They're pursing the political path of threats and intimidation and any entity that stands outside their narrow view is marked as a target.  In the age of Trump and hate politics I'm baffled  that a group of Canadians would willingly pull our country into the quagmire that awaits, I honestly thought we were better than that.

No way. It can't be that bad. I know that Alberta is the more conservative population than the rest of Canada, but they are not going the pretend populous route of trump.

3 minutes ago, rebusrankin said:

Any thoughts on recent reports that 5 of the last six judges appointed in New Brunswick have ties to Dominc Leblanc?

On the surface it looks so sketchy. Then you look at the amounts and population and then it becomes less sketchy... 

If those are the best judges- I don't know what to say. I havent seen any of the qualifications of these judges- Anyone have a link to that info?

5 minutes ago, wanna-b-fanboy said:

No way. It can't be that bad. I know that Alberta is the more conservative population than the rest of Canada, but they are not going the pretend populous route of trump.

Kenney had the Rebel at the victory party. They are already down the populous route. 

28 minutes ago, JCon said:

Kenney had the Rebel at the victory party. They are already down the populous route. 

Kenney has all of the personality traits of a megalomaniac, when he sat in the Fed. cabinet he probably thought that Harper was too moderate and did not push the hard-right agenda far enough.  Scared to actually find out!

1 hour ago, wanna-b-fanboy said:

Alberta only thinks they're conservative. It's actually pretty progressive, just blindly votes conservatives cause they think conservatives make it boom. 

44 minutes ago, 17to85 said:

Alberta only thinks they're conservative. It's actually pretty progressive, just blindly votes conservatives cause they think conservatives make it boom. 

When they keep reading articles like this one,

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/politics/corbella-krause-questions-why-trudeau-changed-charity-laws-for-activists/ar-AADQCFs?ocid=spartandhp

it's easy to see why they believe only the Conservatives are going to fight for their oil and gas industry, what else do they have? 

Edited by pigseye
p

1 hour ago, 17to85 said:

Notley faught for the province. Trudeau and the federal liberals yeah they piss all over Alberta, but Notley did a lot of good for this province.

A lot of Albertans I know are happy to see the carbon tax gone and did not see that extra cash grab as her fighting for them.  But whatever.  Nothing is going to change until Alberta can get a pipeline to tidewater, and in this f-ed up country it doesn't appear that is ever going to happen.  

20 minutes ago, kelownabomberfan said:

A lot of Albertans I know are happy to see the carbon tax gone and did not see that extra cash grab as her fighting for them.  But whatever.  Nothing is going to change until Alberta can get a pipeline to tidewater, and in this f-ed up country it doesn't appear that is ever going to happen.  

So now we get a federal carbon tax instead, woulda been  better to keep the Alberta one and at least maintained control.

8 minutes ago, 17to85 said:

So now we get a federal carbon tax instead, woulda been  better to keep the Alberta one and at least maintained control.

can't argue that one.  We'll see if it stands a Supreme Court challenge.  Best case is that JT and gang are booted out, and the carbon tax is abolished at the federal level.  Though I never met a government who put in a tax they didn't like.

The Conservatives can't seem to run an election without skirting election finance laws.

Who's behind mass text messages asking Canadians about the carbon tax?

If you were one of the many Canadians to receive text messages from “Sue,” “Mark,” or “Nicolas” asking about the federal carbon tax, you may have been left wondering who’s behind these texts and how they got your phone number.

Members of Canada Strong and Proud, a coalition of third-party advertising groups newly incorporated under a federal banner, are behind many of the automated messages, with members already having orchestrated anti-carbon tax text campaigns in Alberta, Quebec and, as evidence suggests, in Ontario.

“Canada Strong and Proud is a new organization actively seeking ways to engage with Canadians about national issues and participate in the federal election,” the organization said in a written statement to CTV News, adding that one of the group’s goals is to “scrap job-killing carbon taxes.”

Russel said in a written statement that the provincial organizations are connected to the federal group but are more focused on provincial affairs.

Canada Strong and Proud shouldn’t be confused with Ontario Proud or Canada Proud, separate third-party advertising groups known for creating anti-Trudeau digital content. 

“It seems these guys are more focused on calling and we're more focused on producing social media content,” Jeff Ballingall, founder of Canada Proud and Ontario Proud, told CTV News in an interview.

But while Ballingall said he is not directly affiliated with Canada Strong and Proud, he did say he advised groups affiliated with the organization, such as Alberta Proud and NS Strong, on content strategy in the past. 

How Canada Strong and Proud is funding any current or future voter outreach efforts remains unclear. 

Any money spent by the group on unregulated activities before June 30 does not need to be disclosed. Neither would any “donations” Canada Strong and Proud may have received from one of its provincial counterparts. 

Alberta Proud, for example, received over $157,000 in donations as of April 18, 2019, contribution reports show. Some of the largest donors hail from the province’s energy industry. 

There is nothing in Canadian law prohibiting the provincial groups from sharing funds or voter to the federally-registered Canada Strong and Proud. 

But even in the official pre-election period, with third-party advertising rules firmly in place, there are some grey areas when it comes to disclosing the financing of text message campaigns.

https://www.ctvnews.ca/politics/who-s-behind-mass-text-messages-asking-canadians-about-the-carbon-tax-1.4494160#_gus&_gucid=&_gup=twitter&_gsc=O9z6GCW

4 minutes ago, Throw Long Bannatyne said:

I texted Sue to go **** herself, she smelled like Jason Kenney.  

That's not very nice.  Truth be told, this was the first unsolicited text I'd received from a source that could be perceived to be "on the right".  In the past I've received unsolicited texts from the Dogwood Initiative(some hard-core enviro group asking me about off shore oil shipments or something), the BC NDP and some group that was trying to push proportional representation before our last referendum in BC.  Perhaps the people on the Left are mad that someone on the right stole their idea?

40 minutes ago, kelownabomberfan said:

I received a text from Sue the other day, but it wasn't about the Carbon tax, she was asking me about pipelines and if I was in favor.  I said yes, of course.  She seemed really nice.

I received a text from Mark the other day.  I told him to **** Sheerer right in the ******* ear.  He seemed like a information gathering/propaganda spreading mother ******.

4 hours ago, wanna-b-fanboy said:

I received a text from Mark the other day.  I told him to **** Sheerer right in the ******* ear.  He seemed like a information gathering/propaganda spreading mother ******.

as much as I feel the same way about the BC NDP and the Dogwood Initiative and the Prop Rep losers as you do about the Conservatives, I wouldn't be this rude to them.  It doesn't help anybody.