Canadian Politics

1 hour ago, FrostyWinnipeg said:

Canada's always been like that. Majority in parliament, you can do what ever you want.

Yeah but it's not up to the pm to dissolve parliament currently. Pretty big thing that keeps a bad faith actor just staying in the office for ever.

6 hours ago, Noeller said:

It's a completely ridiculous position, for sure, but still something that is (unfortunately) necessary with our current form of government. It's unbelievable that someone could **** up a job as easy as that one...

She probably thought that being a former astronaut made her think people should lick her boots. She may be super smart & maybe the only thing Payette ever accomplished was going into space. As she bullied & intimidated those under her I have no sympathy. You can't treat people like **** & get away with it. Good riddance. 

7 hours ago, JCon said:

Head of Government. The Queen's representative. Can't be no one. 

Most of them are celebrities but could still be described as "no ones" as far as constitutional & political experience goes. Every Gov General is sadly just political patronage appointments which is a sad fact when it comes to such an important job. The Queen should appoint her own GG from legitimate candidates that cross the political spectrum &  not just the political friends of a sitting PM. Ideally it should be a qualified experienced Canadian career diplomat or politician who knows how the federal government works. Not a fricking former CBC broadcaster or astronaut. 

Edited by SpeedFlex27

oil  phase out will be imposed on Alberta by economics. should be fine, since Conservatives worship the free market.

BloombergNEF’s analysis predicts lithium-ion battery costs will fall to the extent that electric cars will match the price of petrol and diesel cars by 2023, while Lenton suggests 2024-2025. McKinsey’s Global Energy Perspective 2021, published on 15 January, forecasts that “electric vehicles are likely to become the most economic choice in the next five years in many parts of the world”.

The Guardian 

Edited by Mark F

27 minutes ago, JCon said:

We also need to address the other side of oil - plastics. 

I am in favour of the plastic bag ban that coming. 

We already have a solution that would take some investing to get up to snuff, but no new technology or anything like that would be needed. Anything made by oil can also be made by hemp.

4 minutes ago, Bigblue204 said:

Here's something different. It's literally only a matter of time before we're allowed to grow 4 plants. Why the PCs insist on wasting money is beyond me. But hey...I'm not gonna stop them from digging deeper.

https://www.mbliberalcaucus.ca/news_details.php?id=169

It's horrendous that they've done this. Wasting our resources to fight something most people want. It's an ideological argument and not a scientific one. But, that's today's PC party for you. 

4 hours ago, JCon said:

We can but oil is so cheap and plentiful. 

not cheap if you include the direct and indirect subsidies, which never show up on oil company statements.

examples are numerous, one for example, orphaned wells, which government s everywhere, will be paying to cap. 

gulf of mexico, has thousands of abandoned leaking wells. 

8 hours ago, Tracker said:

No matter who is appointed to the governor-general position, there will be detractors. Such is the nature of politics. In retrospect, Payette was a poor choice and her interpersonal relationships ought to have been examined before she was named. 

Apparently she was vetted but no one spoke up. It's Cosby-syndrome. Took the 50th victim to come forward.

GG gets a 100k pension for life. I'd quit too :P

8 hours ago, Tracker said:

No matter who is appointed to the governor-general position, there will be detractors. Such is the nature of politics. In retrospect, Payette was a poor choice and her interpersonal relationships ought to have been examined before she was named. 

But she was an astronaut ooOOoooooh. That automatically made her fit for the job despite the various cracks in the facade.

2 hours ago, FrostyWinnipeg said:

Apparently she was vetted but no one spoke up. It's Cosby-syndrome. Took the 50th victim to come forward.

GG gets a 100k pension for life. I'd quit too :P

Trudeau purposefully circumvented the procedures Harpers government put in place to prevent another Adrienne Clarkson fiasco. JT hand picked Payette Andy should wear his disaster. 

1 hour ago, JCon said:

Harper saddled us with that racist POS. Good riddance! 

someone  I know said to me recently, " I dont know, all the kids I saw that were in residential schools were clean and well dressed"

something like that.

law enforcement sask person.

amazing inability to see the obvious.

2 hours ago, JCon said:

This is bad and they should (but won't be) embarrassed. 

The intelligence community should be doing this not Parliament. It plays well on TV but is completely useless and undermines the work of professionals. 

I think it is critical for our elected leaders to call out racism and intolerance whenever and wherever it appears, and as quickly and forcefully as possible. In matters like this, silence is complicity. Soft racism will lead to the hard type given silence.

Just now, Tracker said:

I think it is critical for our elected leaders to call out racism and intolerance whenever and wherever it appears, and as quickly and forcefully as possible. In matters like this, silence is complicity. Soft racism will lead to the hard type given silence.

Yes, but not this way. They can do a lot of things in the Parliament to raise awareness of this disgusting group and condemn it but they shouldn't be trying to upend a process that's quite serious and follows strict guidelines. 

Next, we'll have one of the CPC standing up and condemning Antifa and asking the same thing, even though it's a loose group and not some coordinated movement. 

amazing. 

Alberta Inquiry Paid $28K for a Report Smearing Hundreds of Climate Journalists

The report, paid for by the Alberta government, suggests climate reporters are part of a coordinated ploy by George Soros and other progressive elites to quash capitalism and distribute climate change propaganda.

https://www.vice.com/en/article/88akk3/alberta-inquiry-jason-kenney-paid-dollar28k-for-a-report-smearing-climate-journalists

Albertans look like fools.

15 minutes ago, Mark F said:

I f***ing hate this province sometimes....no question. I've been running news stories all day with clips from our provincial ag minister, and rather than promoting their own agenda, they default to complaining about what the federal government does. I would say most of the popularity of the UCP  in AB is that they're anti-Trudeau. They've positioned themselves as this group who "stand up to the tyranny of Trudeau, who hates The West!!" which is all just horseshit and makes me ill when I hear them pound the table about it...

17 minutes ago, Noeller said:

I f***ing hate this province sometimes....no question. I've been running news stories all day with clips from our provincial ag minister, and rather than promoting their own agenda, they default to complaining about what the federal government does. I would say most of the popularity of the UCP  in AB is that they're anti-Trudeau. They've positioned themselves as this group who "stand up to the tyranny of Trudeau, who hates The West!!" which is all just horseshit and makes me ill when I hear them pound the table about it...

That's just a cover for their bigottedness. They tricked a lot of fools into thinking they could bring back oil and gas jobs but they really have no appeal outside of their backasswards social conservative views. 

People are waking up and realizing that these are the wold rose not the pcs.