Canadian Politics

4 minutes ago, 17to85 said:

I am not sure that the Canadian association of petroleum producers is an unbiased source... in fact they are known to be quite biased, and I say that as someone who worked in the oil and gas industry for 14 years and is a big supporter of continued support of the sector.

Do the math, the numbers are same no matter which site you get them from

World energy consumption - Wikipedia

36 minutes ago, pigseye said:

Do the math, the numbers are same no matter which site you get them from

World energy consumption - Wikipedia

I am not disagreeing on the idea that fossil fuels take time to transition away from. I am simply saying that some of your sources aren't to be taken at face value because they are known to be biased. 

The reality is quite likely somewhere in the middle of what the oil and gas industry says and what the pie in the sky "end all oil" types think. 

16 hours ago, 17to85 said:

The reality is quite likely somewhere in the middle of what the oil and gas industry says and what the pie in the sky "end all oil" types think. 

pie in the sky. yeah so out of touch.

two years ago, you posted that facts were not in on climate change being caused by burning fossil fuels. you werent convinced. something along those lines.

anyway, a discussion between an outright climate change denier, and an oil worker, on this subject, probably not going to be that useful.

Edited by Mark F

15 minutes ago, Mark F said:

two years ago, you posted that facts were not in on climate change being caused by burning fossil fuels. you werent convinced. something along those lines.

No that doesn't sound like what I said. More likely I made a comment about the science being uncertain about predictions based on climate change models and talked about the need to consider the current economic impact regarding the oil and has industry.

The probability is that there will be no one  panacea to fix everything so that we can carry on as before. There will likely be a mix of old and new energy sources, some of which have not yet emerged, but our future will have to include changes in how we do things- smaller vehicles, more energy-efficient buildings and initiatives such as telecommuting and more localized sourcing. This will not be quick, easy or painless. Some 30 years ago, a Boston-based energy auditing and retrofitting firm approached Hyd0 Quebec with an offer. They offered to audit all commercial buildings for free (!) and recommend efficiencies in exchange for 50% of the savings in electrical consumption. Never got to first base. 

9 minutes ago, Tracker said:

The probability is that there will be no one  panacea to fix everything so that we can carry on as before. There will likely be a mix of old and new energy sources, some of which have not yet emerged, but our future will have to include changes in how we do things- smaller vehicles, more energy-efficient buildings and initiatives such as telecommuting and more localized sourcing. This will not be quick, easy or painless. Some 30 years ago, a Boston-based energy auditing and retrofitting firm approached Hyd0 Quebec with an offer. They offered to audit all commercial buildings for free (!) and recommend efficiencies in exchange for 50% of the savings in electrical consumption. Never got to first base. 

Someone find dilithium crystals already!

2 hours ago, 17to85 said:

No that doesn't sound like what I said. More likely I made a comment about the science being uncertain about predictions based on climate change models and talked about the need to consider the current economic impact regarding the oil and has industry.

It's all predictions based on models, it's all we have to work with 30 years out and that applies to predictions about how much energy will come from what sources. The only thing that is a fact, is that we will have to find a way to produce 22 TW of energy to replace fossil fuels if you want to get to net zero by 2050. There is no 'context' as Mark puts it.  

23 hours ago, 17to85 said:

I am not disagreeing on the idea that fossil fuels take time to transition away from. I am simply saying that some of your sources aren't to be taken at face value because they are known to be biased. 

Thirty to 40 years I'd say. 

22 minutes ago, pigseye said:

Interesting, does criticizing the Chinese Government = Discrimination against Chinese and Asian Canadians?

2 Canada Post workers in Regina suspended after refusing to deliver Epoch Times (msn.com)

Love to see this. That Epoch Times is INSANE! I can't believe they allow that to just go out through regular mail. It has to be considered hate speech and conspiracy rhetoric. Totally bonkers.

1 hour ago, Noeller said:

Love to see this. That Epoch Times is INSANE! I can't believe they allow that to just go out through regular mail. It has to be considered hate speech and conspiracy rhetoric. Totally bonkers.

Yeah but you see they pay to have it sent via Canada post.

1 hour ago, Noeller said:

I've never heard of it, is it that offensive? 

21 minutes ago, 17to85 said:

Yeah but you see they pay to have it sent via Canada post.

Yeah but it offends the carriers so why should they have to deliver it? 

16 minutes ago, Tracker said:

Gonna be an interesting grievance adjudication.

Kind of like refusing to bake a wedding cake for a same sex couple? 

Edited by pigseye
p

the Epoch Times is TERRIFYING...... next time you're wondering where your crazy conservative uncle is getting his conspiracy theories.....it's all there in black and white. My boss had told me a bunch of insane nonsense about Canada being in bed with the Chinese....wild crazy stuff.....and I couldn't figure out where he even heard stuff like this. I mean, we're a mainstream news outlet for goodness sake.......literally, that night, I got The Epoch Times in the mail. I only read the cover, but I immediately knew my boss reads it and fully believes it.

https://mediabiasfactcheck.com/the-epoch-times/

Detailed Report

Reasoning: Propaganda, Conspiracy, Pseudoscience, Numerous Failed Fact Checks
World Press Freedom Rank: USA 45/180

History

The Epoch Times is an international, multi-language news media company in print and online. The Epoch Times first published in New York in April 2000 (in Chinese only) and the online edition in August 2000. In 2003, The Epoch Times launched an online edition in English, which began printing as a newspaper in New York in 2004.  The Epoch Times is founded by John Tang and a group of Chinese-American Falun Gong practitioners. The Epoch Times publishes in 21 languages in 35 countries across five continents. Their focus topics include sections for world and national news, op-eds, sports, entertainment, business, arts and culture, travel, and health.

On December 20, 2019, it was reported that Facebook took down more than 600 accounts connected to The Epoch Times. According to an NBC News report “The network was called ‘The BL’ and was run by Vietnamese users posing as Americans, using fake photos generated by algorithms to simulate real identities. The Epoch Media group, which pushes a variety of pro-Trump conspiracy theories, spent $9.5 million on ads to spread content through the now-suspended pages and groups.”

Analysis / Bias

In review, The Epoch Times covers straight news reporting through the use of journalists and syndication through the Associated Press and Reuters. Typically, these stories are well-sourced and reasonably low biased. However, when reporting on China they do reflect a strong anti-communism bias. The Epoch Times also uses loaded language that usually favors the right such as this: Why Media Organizations Can’t Let Go of the Fake Russia-Collusion Narrative.

Editorially, there is a very strong Pro-Trump bias, with almost all articles praising Trump and denigrating the left such as these Democratic Party: A Broken Kaleidoscope? and Five Reasons Trump’s Celebration of America Was Epic Display of Patriotism. According to an NBC News report the “outlet has spent more than $1.5 million on about 11,000 pro-Trump advertisements in the last six months, according to data from Facebook’s advertising archive — more than any organization outside of the Trump campaign itself, and more than most Democratic presidential candidates have spent on their own campaigns.” In general, straight news reporting is sourced and mostly low biased, however, op-eds 100% favor the right with some promoting conspiracy theories. During the 2020 Coronavirus outbreak and the 2020 Presidential election, they have promoted misinformation. See failed fact checks below.

Failed Fact Checks

Further, the Epoch Times has a section called Beyond Science that publishes pseudoscience news, such as Supernormal Abilities Developed Through Meditation: Dr. Dean Radin Discusses. Finally, the above referenced NBC News report states “In addition to claims that alien abductions are real and the drug epidemic was engineered by the “deep state,” the channel pushes the QAnon conspiracy theory, which falsely posits that the same “Spygate” cabal is a front for a global pedophile ring being taken down by Trump.”

Overall, we rate The Epoch Times Right Biased and Questionable based on the publication of pseudoscience and the promotion of propaganda and conspiracy theories as well as numerous failed fact checks. (M. Huitsing 8/21/2017) (Updated 11/13/2020)

There's everything you really need to know on The Epoch Times, which is an absolute rag of a newspaper. Canada Post delivering this garbage is embarrassing and should not even be a thing. Good on those two carriers for refusing to be a part of the ongoing spread of mis-/disinformation.

On 2021-01-29 at 4:36 PM, pigseye said:

Kind of like refusing to bake a wedding cake for a same sex couple? 

Well yeah, okay... In Cochrane, AB last week a Dairy Queen refused to sell a Birthday cake that said "Happy Birthday Lesbian" saying it was offensive & that kids would read it. It made the news headlines. Apparently after this store refused, the customer drove 20 minutes to Calgary where another DQ did it for her no questions asked.

The owner of the Cochrane DQ fired the supervisor who made that decision & said that should never have happened. He also said he was very, very sorry. I take his apology as sincere. That was an employee making that decison. It wasn't a store policy. Another stupid religious alt right conservative trying to push his moral values onto others. 

Edited by SpeedFlex27

I have lost track of all the scandal's this government has faced, I think the Ethics Commissioner still has a ruling in the works set to come out soon. How an opposition  can't take down a government with this much baggage just shows how sad politics in Canada is right now. 

The hits just keep on coming

Every vaccine maker was asked to make their doses in Canada and all said no: Anand (msn.com)

Somehow, this is Harpers fault. 

13 minutes ago, Tracker said:

The key word is "former". This will go nowhere no matter how the PC's beat that drum.

Minister’s office knew of concerns about Vance in 2018: sources (msn.com)

Another coverup.