Game 19 : Road Trip @ Philadelphia Feeling

Just now, Mr Dee said:

Thorburn is a delicious fringe player to have on one's team. He can play hockey, keep opponents in line and appears to be a hell of a well-liked player by his teammates. A leader. The real question is, why wouldn't you cycle him in the lineup?

Agreed which is exactly what the Jets were doing.  Injuries have forced him into a more regular role.  The argument seems to be "he's only playing due to injuries", then what's the problem? 

9 minutes ago, Ducky said:

He is a slug.

De Leo sits while Thorbs plays?

Okay...

Quite frankly, I agree with you in that I don't understand why they'd call up de Leo just to sit in the press box, but as has already been mentioned - it's working. You can question it. But I don't understand why you refuse to acknowledge that maybe they do these things for a reason.

17 minutes ago, Ducky said:

He is a slug.

Okay...

Is De Leo now the only press box player who is healthy?  Because I think generally they like to carry one extra forward.  They are going on a long road trip.  They want someone who can skate with the team and be on the trip if he needs to go in.  Maybe they didnt feel he was completely ready to go in.  maybe they watched him and Thorbs and decided Thorbs had the gameplan down better. I dont know.  Maybe tweet Maurice and ask him.

1 hour ago, Ducky said:

But, using the same argument you made about Philips sitting in the Moose line-up, versus playing in the ECHL, at least he's getting better coaching and development.

It's working right now, so the Jets won't change it. Right or wrong.

While watching that game on TV last night, it makes me realize what Jet fans are witnessing on that True North ice surface. And that is the enormity of having another 'presence' playing hockey for the Jets. Of course I'm talking about Laine. The hockey fans that get to attend these games live are extremely lucky to see the talent that kid displays. Never did I realize how truly good he is. He's on another level and the Jets have him.

I would think we'd spend a hell of a lot less time worrying about the other end of our lineup, and spent more time appreciating the top end of our lineup. Laine, Ehlers, Scheifele, Wheeler, Armia, Byfuglien, Trouba, Myers, Morrissey, Dani, Petan, Copp, Tanev..and on and on. 

Witness the remarkable and enjoy...

Laine is remarkable but whats even more remarkable is how much better he's going to be.  He still makes a lot of mistakes out there.  Someone mentioned two games ago that "Laine watched a great game" and that can happen with a rookie.  He's still finding his footing in the NHL.  Sometimes he makes one too many plays or tries to do too much.  Other times, he looks for the pass when he should shoot.  When he figures it all out and it becomes natural, he's going to be a legit threat to score on every single play.

I look at Ehlers and see vast improvement from last year.  Last year he was raw talent.  This year, he knows how to play.  He drives the play on every shift, digs the puck out, sets up his team mates, knows when to shoot.  Plays hard every shift.  Transfer that level of development and knowledge onto Laine, add 20 lbs of muscle and this kid might be the best option to score 60+ since Ovechkin was good.

3 hours ago, Rich said:

Why do you want this group of people to tell you why Thorbs dresses when they don't make that decision?  Everyone is just saying what is likely to happen given Maurice's history.  Then you want to argue about it.

I appreciate the discussion and everything, but why do we have to have the same argument and same trade proposals every single day?

It is basically trade Petan, trade Myers, trade Stafford, trade anything for RNH.    Bring up Lemieux, bring up Roslovic, Bring up <flavour of the day>.  **** on the same Jets who you don't want to see play everyday.

People don't want to argue and discuss the same thing everyday. 

You forgot line combinations....

5 hours ago, The Unknown Poster said:

Just because they can bring someone up from the Moose doesnt mean its the best thing for the development of that player.  The idea early was, should Copp play 4th line minutes with the Jets were top six with the moose?  He was specifically tasked with improving his offensive skills so playing the 4th line with the Jets wasnt in the long term best interests.

Perhaps De Leo would be a better 4th line winger, I dont know.  But Maurice seems to think Thorbs playing there doesnt hurt the team so maybe his feeling is, plug Thorbs in rather then take a young player from the Moose and have him player lesser minutes and a lesser role while at the same time scratching a well-liked veteran.  What's the net positive.

The Moose dont exist to "win" as much as they exist to develop players for the Jets but there are a lot of Moose players with the Jets right now due to injury and if you gut your main development roster, it does impact the development of the players still there.  I dont see Thorbs as a net negative in this role.  And neither does Maurice.  As guys return from injury, he likely gets scratches due to players higher up the depth chart coming down and pushing him out.

Except they are taking a youngster from the Moose and sitting him in the pressbox.

Ask De Leo if he likes getting an nhl paycheck. He will say yes. De Leo probably will play one of these games. 

I don't think thorburn should dress either but that line yesterday was pretty good so they won't mess with it. 

Maybe De Leo dresses in place of Burmi tho 

16 hours ago, bustamente said:

Line up will be in flux until the regular vet's start to come back, if you keep winning it would be silly to mess with the line up but eventually guys like Little, Matty P, Stafford and Myers will be healthy and it's up to the coach to see were they slot into the line up.

What?!  I thought we made those decisions!

18 hours ago, bustamente said:

Line up will be in flux until the regular vet's start to come back, if you keep winning it would be silly to mess with the line up but eventually guys like Little, Matty P, Stafford and Myers will be healthy and it's up to the coach to see were they slot into the line up.

It will be interesting to see if Petan has shown enough to the coaches to stick with the big club once these guys check back in.

On 11/16/2016 at 11:09 AM, Mr Dee said:

Thorburn is a delicious fringe player to have on one's team. He can play hockey, keep opponents in line and appears to be a hell of a well-liked player by his teammates. A leader. The real question is, why wouldn't you cycle him in the lineup?

I stopped reading at that point, simply because the imagery did not compute ... ;) 

Edited by IC Khari