Game 19 : Road Trip @ Philadelphia Feeling

39 minutes ago, Ducky said:

I don't even know what NHL17 is but hey, good comeback.

You are arguing to dress Thorbs so I won't argue that point...he shouldn't even dress for God's sake.

Im not arguing to dress Thorbs, who scored last game by the way.  You have tunnel vision.  If Thorbs scored a hat trick, beat up six Hawks, made 20 saves himself and rescued a child and a kitten from the rafters of MTSC, you'd still want him scratched.  I get it.  My point was, a 4-0 win generally means little to no line up changes barring injury.

47 minutes ago, Ducky said:

No, let's dress Thorbs for another 7 1/2 minutes...

You're mistaking what people want with what people think the Jets will do.

Jets pattern is to keep the same line-up after a big win. Hard to argue with that philosophy, unless someone was egregiously bad. Since Thorburn scored and was not a train wreck, he'll dress again.

I know who scored but my opinion is that there are much better players in the organization than he and Burmi are. I would argue that you could replace Thorbs' on ice play with Lemieux's.

Thorbs, Burmi and Staf impede the future players' development.

Make an argument why Thorbs should play over De Leo or even why he is dressed? Morrissey creamed one of their layers and what happened? Toews (who dropped his gloves and didn't get a penalty) grabbed him and Buff moved in right away. That was the end of it. Why does Thorbs dress?

1 minute ago, JCon said:

You're mistaking what people want with whopat pele think the Jets will do.

Jets pattern is to keep the same line-up after a big win. Hard to argue with that philosophy, unless someone was egregiously bad. Since Thorburn scored and was not a train wreck, he'll dress again.

No, I'm debating why he shouldn't be dressed for God's sake!!!!!!!

Why do you want this group of people to tell you why Thorbs dresses when they don't make that decision?  Everyone is just saying what is likely to happen given Maurice's history.  Then you want to argue about it.

I appreciate the discussion and everything, but why do we have to have the same argument and same trade proposals every single day?

It is basically trade Petan, trade Myers, trade Stafford, trade anything for RNH.    Bring up Lemieux, bring up Roslovic, Bring up <flavour of the day>.  **** on the same Jets who you don't want to see play everyday.

People don't want to argue and discuss the same thing everyday. 

My point was that in the old days somebody would have went after Morrissey's head in the game but nowadays that doesn't happen hardly ever.

Make a valid argument why Thorbs should be dressed...because he needs to get in 7 or 8 fights in a season? pffffffttt The only reason he is dressed is because we have a million injuries and even at that I would dress De Leo over him.

7 minutes ago, Ducky said:

My point was that in the old days somebody would have went after Morrissey's head in the game but nowadays that doesn't happen hardly ever.

Make a valid argument why Thorbs should be dressed...because he needs to get in 7 or 8 fights in a season? pffffffttt The only reason he is dressed is because we have a million injuries and even at that I would dress De Leo over him.

Because, when matching up with who they are playing that day, Paul Maurice sometimes inserts him to the lineup that he believes helps the team. When he's not needed, he scratches him.  He seems to be one of those players that will be in and out of the lineup throughout the year not just because of injuries.

At the beginning of the season, Maurice said that players would cycle in because of the rough schedule in November.  Thorbs was kept up as the 13th forward so he was going to play.  He was going to play anyway because injuries always happen.  He's a capable 4th line player.  The argument is, if he's only playing 4 minutes a game, why not let a younger player have the ice time to develop.  But if Thorbs is going to player a bit more and contribute, then I dont have an issue with it.  Do I want him playing a head of a healthy Copp or Armia?  No.  But I understand why they do it.

Its not just about assembling talent.  Its about assembling the right combination of talent.  "Good in the room" usually doesnt go far with fans and I get that.  But we dont know what sort of impact he has on his team mates.  And even if that means he needs to play once every 5-6 games to remain engaged and remain as a "voice" in the room, so be it.

50 minutes ago, Ducky said:

BS...he is dressed because of injuries and if not, he plays because he is a leader in the room and you cannot lead if  you don't play sometimes....he is not needed.

Well, your opinion does not seem to jive with Paul Maurice.

My evidence? He's not forced to dress Thorburn at all, but sometimes he does. He has the available depth to never dress him. 

7 minutes ago, The Unknown Poster said:

At the beginning of the season, Maurice said that players would cycle in because of the rough schedule in November.  Thorbs was kept up as the 13th forward so he was going to play.  He was going to play anyway because injuries always happen.  He's a capable 4th line player.  The argument is, if he's only playing 4 minutes a game, why not let a younger player have the ice time to develop.  But if Thorbs is going to player a bit more and contribute, then I dont have an issue with it.  Do I want him playing a head of a healthy Copp or Armia?  No.  But I understand why they do it.

Its not just about assembling talent.  Its about assembling the right combination of talent.  "Good in the room" usually doesnt go far with fans and I get that.  But we dont know what sort of impact he has on his team mates.  And even if that means he needs to play once every 5-6 games to remain engaged and remain as a "voice" in the room, so be it.

Bingo Bango Bongo.

10 minutes ago, The Unknown Poster said:

I would be more I'm happy to see him play one game out of every six of the remaining schedule to end his career with the team.

4 minutes ago, Ducky said:

I really can't believe that anybody would argue that this guy should be dressed on this team it's just unbelievable.

Then why don't you stop trying to argue it every single day?

Honestly, it's painful to read the Jets forum because you just badger people incessantly if they don't agree with your stance on a particular issue. Do I think Thorburn should be dressed? Not really. But man do I not want to dedicate four hundred posts to debating it.

Just because they can bring someone up from the Moose doesnt mean its the best thing for the development of that player.  The idea early was, should Copp play 4th line minutes with the Jets were top six with the moose?  He was specifically tasked with improving his offensive skills so playing the 4th line with the Jets wasnt in the long term best interests.

Perhaps De Leo would be a better 4th line winger, I dont know.  But Maurice seems to think Thorbs playing there doesnt hurt the team so maybe his feeling is, plug Thorbs in rather then take a young player from the Moose and have him player lesser minutes and a lesser role while at the same time scratching a well-liked veteran.  What's the net positive.

The Moose dont exist to "win" as much as they exist to develop players for the Jets but there are a lot of Moose players with the Jets right now due to injury and if you gut your main development roster, it does impact the development of the players still there.  I dont see Thorbs as a net negative in this role.  And neither does Maurice.  As guys return from injury, he likely gets scratches due to players higher up the depth chart coming down and pushing him out.