US Politics

Rich

2 minutes ago, The Unknown Poster said:

Im curious as to the cost and effort to secure Mar-a-lago so that it can continue to operate as a country club and have Trump there whenever he feels like it.  it must be a massive task for Secret Service.

Saw this nugget the other day....

$1M/day to keep Melania Trump in Trump tower in NYC and Flint still doesn't have clean water.

Just now, JCon said:

Saw this nugget the other day....

$1M/day to keep Melania Trump in Trump tower in NYC and Flint still doesn't have clean water.

Is that paid for by Trump?  If so, I dont care.  But if its paid for by the government (ie. taxpayers), its ridiculous.  They have a residence and a "retreat" and I think a couple other government homes.  The Pres & family go on vacations.  Why would they need to pay to let him live his "private" life style?  If you dont want to live at the White House, dont run for President.

Just now, The Unknown Poster said:

Is that paid for by Trump?  If so, I dont care.  But if its paid for by the government (ie. taxpayers), its ridiculous.  They have a residence and a "retreat" and I think a couple other government homes.  The Pres & family go on vacations.  Why would they need to pay to let him live his "private" life style?  If you dont want to live at the White House, dont run for President.

I'm sure the $1M figure is on the high side and considers the cost to set up the security... But no, that's on the taxpayers. It's about security.

Also, when his kids travel on Trump business, they also get the full protection of the secret service, the bill footed by the taxpayers. That's millions already sunk into Trump business trips.

The fleecing of America is on.

5 minutes ago, JCon said:

I'm sure the $1M figure is on the high side and considers the cost to set up the security... But no, that's on the taxpayers. It's about security.

Also, when his kids travel on Trump business, they also get the full protection of the secret service, the bill footed by the taxpayers. That's millions already sunk into Trump business trips.

The fleecing of America is on.

Well, I dont mind SS protection for family.  There is a legit need there.  But outfitting multiple homes because his wife doesnt want to live at the White House and he likes to spend the weekends at a country club?  He should be footing the bill for that.

12 hours ago, Throw Long Bannatyne said:

Call me a pessimist if you like but I believe I'm a realist.

Edited 12 hours ago by Throw Long Bannatyne

well certainly its true through recorded history. But, big changes dead ahead.

Edited by Mark F

Interesting read.

http://nymag.com/daily/intelligencer/2017/02/andrew-sullivan-the-madness-of-king-donald.html

The Madness of King Donald

By Andrew Sullivan ShareTweetSharePin ItEmailCommentPrint
Donald Trump. Photo: Andrew Harrer - Pool/Getty Images

I guess I should start by saying this is not a blog. Nor is it what one might call a column. It’s an experiment of sorts to see if there’s something in between those two. Most Fridays, from now on, I’ll be writing in this space about, among other things, the end of Western civilization, the collapse of the republic, and, yes, my beagles. If you’re a veteran reader of my former site, the Dish, you may find yourselves at times in an uncanny valley. So may I. The model I’m trying to follow is more like the British magazine tradition of a weekly diary — on the news, but a little distant from it, personal as well as political, conversational more than formal.

I want to start with Trump’s lies. It’s now a commonplace that Trump and his underlings tell whoppers. Fact-checkers have never had it so good. But all politicians lie. Bill Clinton could barely go a day without some shading or parsing of the truth. Richard Nixon was famously tricky. But all the traditional political fibbers nonetheless paid some deference to the truth — even as they were dodging it. They acknowledged a shared reality and bowed to it. They acknowledged the need for a common set of facts in order for a liberal democracy to function at all. Trump’s lies are different. They are direct refutations of reality — and their propagation and repetition is about enforcing his power rather than wriggling out of a political conundrum. They are attacks on the very possibility of a reasoned discourse, the kind of bald-faced lies that authoritarians issue as a way to test loyalty and force their subjects into submission. That first press conference when Sean Spicer was sent out to lie and fulminate to the press about the inauguration crowd reminded me of some Soviet apparatchik having his loyalty tested to see if he could repeat in public what he knew to be false. It was comical, but also faintly chilling.

What do I mean by denial of empirical reality? Take one of the most recent. On Wednesday, Senator Richard Blumenthal related the news that Judge Neil Gorsuch, Trump’s nominee for the long-vacant Supreme Court seat, had told him that the president’s unprecedented, personal attacks on federal judges were “disheartening” and “demoralizing.” Within half an hour, this was confirmed by Gorsuch’s White House–appointed spokesman, who was present for the conversation. CNN also reported that Senator Ben Sasse had heard Gorsuch say exactly the same thing, with feeling, as did former senator Kelly Ayotte.

The president nonetheless insisted twice yesterday that Blumenthal had misrepresented his conversation with Gorsuch — first in an early morning tweet and then, once again, yesterday afternoon, in front of the television cameras. To add to the insanity, he also tweeted that in a morning interview, Chris Cuomo had never challenged Blumenthal on his lies about his service in Vietnam — when the tape clearly shows it was the first thing Cuomo brought up.

MORE IN LINK

1 hour ago, Mark H. said:

Wow. Three weeks in and first domino falls. Is this a record for scandal as far as being so soon ?

1 hour ago, Mark H. said:

The move comes less than a month into the job, making him one of the shortest-serving senior presidential advisers in modern history.

Wow... and hopefully, not the last.

So the Justice Dept, informed the White House a month ago, that Flynn was potentially compromised by discussions with the Russian Ambassador - you know, the ones that Flynn is not sure whether they happened or not.     

Yet despite this, and that it was Trump's National Security Advisor...... nobody in the White House - Trump, Pence, et al....knew the single, slightest thing about it.  

Come on.

What a motley crew this is.....

Throughout Obama’s presidency, Trump frequently criticized Obama for taking vacations and playing golf. Trump vowed he would not take similar vacations during his presidency.

“There’s just so much to be done,” Trump said after winning the presidential election. “So I don’t think we’ll be very big on vacations, no.”

After Trump took office, Mar-a-Lago doubled membership rates, to $200,000 a year.

Edited by Jacquie

He already seems bored with being President.  And boy, I'd like to know the vetting process for membership at Mar-a-Lago. 

Now the issue is, does Trump use a secure phone.  They think he's still using his personal smartphone which likely only has civilian security protocols and its an Android which, from what I read, is much easier to hack.  Then his aids use their smartphone flashlights to read sensitive documents at Mar-a-Lago because God forbid they adjourn to a private room and turn up the lights.  The concern is, if anyone has spyware on someone's smartphone, they got a great look at whatever the aids were looking at.

And this follows Trump's whining about Hilary and security leaks.  Trump is showing himself as pretty careless.  The questions about his phone and security are valid. 

There is a video going around of Flynn doing a rally during the election calling for Hilary to be "locked up" for using a private server.  He says if he had done 10% of what Hilary did, he'd be in jail.  We shall see...

I said Trump would quit in two years.  He might not last that long.

Edited by The Unknown Poster

20 minutes ago, The Unknown Poster said:

He already seems bored with being President.  And boy, I'd like to know the vetting process for membership at Mar-a-Lago. 

Now the issue is, does Trump use a secure phone.  They think he's still using his personal smartphone which likely only has civilian security protocols and its an Android which, from what I read, is much easier to hack.  Then his aids use their smartphone flashlights to read sensitive documents at Mar-a-Lago because God forbid they adjourn to a private room and turn up the lights.  The concern is, if anyone has spyware on someone's smartphone, they got a great look at whatever the aids were looking at.

And this follows Trump's whining about Hilary and security leaks.  Trump is showing himself as pretty careless.  The questions about his phone and security are valid. 

There is a video going around of Flynn doing a rally during the election calling for Hilary to be "locked up" for using a private server.  He says if he had done 10% of what Hilary did, he'd be in jail.  We shall see...

I said Trump would quit in two years.  He might not last that long.

Careless as in letting his country club members posts the name & picture of the guy who holds the presidential emergency nuclear package on social media?

http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2017-02-13/indiscriminate-mar-lago-member-poses-nuclear-football-and-posts-facebook

4 minutes ago, bigg jay said:

Careless as in letting his country club members posts the name & picture of the guy who holds the presidential emergency nuclear package on social media?

http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2017-02-13/indiscriminate-mar-lago-member-poses-nuclear-football-and-posts-facebook

That's unbelievable. This mar-a-lago stuff has to end. 

48 minutes ago, bigg jay said:

holy **&^%&**.

That has got to be a crime, if it's accurate.

Can't be true can it?

Impeach now.