Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Rich

US Politics

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, kelownabomberfan said:

ok - it was an All in the Family episode with a Jeffersons cross-over.  And if you think the N word not being bleeped is the only racist thing in that clip then you didn't watch it very closely.  The N word being used by George Jefferson unbleeped wasn't even close to the main issue in that entire clip.  There was so much wrong in that video, and yet 42 years ago, that was the "norm".  As society evolves, norms change.  Some move faster in that change than others, but there are still valid view-points that shouldn't just be dismissed with an insult. That was the point I was trying to make.

I think you missed the the entire aspect of satire and political commentary there

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As well it wasn't the norm for the "N" word to be used uncensored. I think it happened once or twice on All in the Family - the other being when Sammy Davis Jr. used it when he guested on the show. I doubt you could find any other examples of it being used uncensored on TV from that time period or earlier. 

And, KBF, a minor point - it was NOT a crossover. The Jeffersons did not start its run until January, 1975. That clip is from 1974 when they were characters on All in the Family.

Edited by Jacquie

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Jacquie said:

As well it wasn't the norm for the "N" word to be used uncensored. I think it happened once or twice on All in the Family - the other being when Sammy Davis Jr. used it when he guested on the show. I doubt you could find any other examples of it being used uncensored on TV from that time period or earlier. 

And, iso, a minor point - it was NOT a crossover. The Jeffersons did not start its run until January, 1975. That clip is from 1974 when they were characters on All in the Family.

I'm not Iso.  Ok, so it wasn't a cross-over.  Also, the N word wasn't the only offensive part of that clip.  I am not sure how clear I can make that.  As it may have been considered a satire, it still reflected a lot of the norms at that time. And it would never be allowed on TV now, for good reason, even if it is seen as a satire. How far we have come as a society!  

I wonder if I grasp the satire of this scene from Blazing Saddles?  Especially since Richard Pryor was one of the writers...

Would a movie like this be made now?  Never.  And that's just a reflection of how far we have come.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, wanna-b-fanboy said:

http://www.thecomedynetwork.ca/shows/thedailyshow?vid=1010108

 

Pretty good inteview- I think I will watch the CNN special.

Van Jones - this is the guy spreading fear and hatred the night after the election saying that Muslims were going to be put into internment camps, which was not only wrong but horrible to say.  This is why the Daily Show is in the ratings toilet.  Jon Stewart was definitely left of the spectrum, but he was also funny.  Trevor Noah just isn't funny.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, kelownabomberfan said:

Van Jones - this is the guy spreading fear and hatred the night after the election saying that Muslims were going to be put into internment camps, which was not only wrong but horrible to say.  This is why the Daily Show is in the ratings toilet.  Jon Stewart was definitely left of the spectrum, but he was also funny.  Trevor Noah just isn't funny.

Bullshit- never did he say "that Muslims were going to be put into internment camps". quote please.

I find it funny that you denounce Van Jones for perceived fear mongering, but are silent about.... the entire trump campaign and everything after his win. Hypocrisy?

I think if you approach what Van Jones has to say with an open mind you will realize that he has some very good points. He totally understands why Trump won.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, wanna-b-fanboy said:

Bullshit- never did he say "that Muslims were going to be put into internment camps". quote please.

I find it funny that you denounce Van Jones for perceived fear mongering, but are silent about.... the entire trump campaign and everything after his win. Hypocrisy?

I think if you approach what Van Jones has to say with an open mind you will realize that he has some very good points. He totally understands why Trump won.

http://www.dailywire.com/news/10709/van-jones-terrified-muslims-fear-internment-camps-robert-kraychik

I fail to see any hypocrisy here.  You post a video with Van Jones in it, I point out his foolish statement about internment camps, and now I'm a hypocrite for pointing out Van Jones' horrible comment?  Puhlease...

I did watch most of the interview, and while it did make me ill in terms of Noah fawning all over him, and it was kind of silly to say that Jeffrey Lord and others on the CNN panel make outrageous statements (when Van Jones is one of the biggest perpetrators) he did make some good points about why Trump won.  Because people were tired of not being listened to, or just being dismissed with insults.  Which is the same thing Jonathon Pie and the person who plays him have said.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

http://www.cnn.com/2016/12/10/politics/donald-trump-response-russian-hacking/index.html

Trump is insane. Disregards his intelligence people when their information doesn't suit him. He won. Shouldn't he be saying damn it if someone interfered let's find out and make sure it never happens again.  He's such a poor winner and an even worse loser. 

The man of the people. With his admin stacked with military and millionaires. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
First, we will take Eastern Europe, then the masses of Asia, then we will encircle the United States which will be the last bastion of capitalism. We will not have to attack. It will fall like an overripe fruit into our hands. "

Mr Nikita Kruschev plan coming to fruition 

Eastern Europe? Working on it. Asia is next. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, The Unknown Poster said:

http://www.cnn.com/2016/12/10/politics/donald-trump-response-russian-hacking/index.html

Trump is insane. Disregards his intelligence people when their information doesn't suit him. He won. Shouldn't he be saying damn it if someone interfered let's find out and make sure it never happens again.  He's such a poor winner and an even worse loser. 

The man of the people. With his admin stacked with military, Billionaires and millionaires. 

Trump is not insane- he is just out of touch, arrogant and has his own agenda.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I watched Trump yesterday come on for an interview on CBS during the third quarter of the Army-Navy Game. They asked him what they thought about the game & he said he didn't know how good the level of the football game was. He just had to get that cheap shot dig in whether he knew it or not. These are young men who'll be on the front lines defending America soon & he kind of mocked how the players play.  It was so Trump & so dumb. Just another day in the life of a clueless President -Elect.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Not sure why he had to say what he said about the quality of the football being played, but hey, at least he's at the game, and for the one kinda dumb comment, he made a lot of complimentary comments as well.  Seems to me you guys still have a lot of anger to work out about Trump winning.  Oh well.

Edited by kelownabomberfan

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, sweep the leg said:

Says the guy who's authored a couple hundred posts complaining about Trudeau.

yes, and seeing how childish the Anti-Trump gang is being here, I can see why my posts about Trudeau were upsetting some people, as in that case as well as Trump's, it was best to let the person actually do something before complaining bitterly about them.  With the whole Castro thing and now this democracy nonsense Trudeau really is demonstrating lately why he's just not ready.

Edited by kelownabomberfan

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
52 minutes ago, kelownabomberfan said:

yes, and seeing how childish the Anti-Trump gang is being here, I can see why my posts about Trudeau were upsetting some people, as in that case as well as Trump's, it was best to let the person actually do something before complaining bitterly about them.  With the whole Castro thing and now this democracy nonsense Trudeau really is demonstrating lately why he's just not ready.

You need to really temper your man crush on Trump. People disagreeing with him is not a personal attack on you but you sure act like it. Your sensible right leaning street cred has taken an enormous hit due to your unabashed fawning over the guy. Sorry man. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, kelownabomberfan said:

yes, and seeing how childish the Anti-Trump gang is being here, I can see why my posts about Trudeau were upsetting some people, as in that case as well as Trump's, it was best to let the person actually do something before complaining bitterly about them.  With the whole Castro thing and now this democracy nonsense Trudeau really is demonstrating lately why he's just not ready.

Your post about Trudeau are not upsetting people, it's your political discourse and how you present and frame your argument (or lack-thereof) is what gets people upset. 

For example:

Quote

as in that case as well as Trump's, it was best to let the person actually do something before complaining bitterly about them.

Yet, you were complaining bitterly about JT well before he did anything... it's the unbridled hypocrisy in your posting history that gets people all in a tizzy and wondering if you are hard core trolling... 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, The Unknown Poster said:

You need to really temper your man crush on Trump. People disagreeing with him is not a personal attack on you but you sure act like it. Your sensible right leaning street cred has taken an enormous hit due to your unabashed fawning over the guy. Sorry man. 

LOL - I don't have a man crush on Trump.  That my comments calling for reason and patience somehow has tempered my "street cred", whatever that is, is hilarious.  I honestly don't care.  I have never met you people and never plan to meet you.  I just find that your constant comments about him are horribly unfair.  Give the guy a chance.  He's in power for four years now whether you like it or not.  All of you guys are going to have heart-attacks if you keep up this level of sheer anger and bile.  If that somehow makes me a "man crush" then so be it. 

I get it, it's not fashionable to do anything right now but make insults about Trump and complain about him.  Anything short of the accepted narrative about him being awful results in immediate attack.  But I honestly don't care.  Let's all calm down, and watch a movie.

trump_street_art_1_h_2016_0.jpg

Edited by kelownabomberfan

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, sweep the leg said:

lol at your lack of self-awareness.

Do you ever actually comment on the topic at hand?  Are posts like this actually necessary?  I'm just curious.   If you really want to attack me with these kinds of posts, why not just inbox me, rather than putting this on the actual thread? What is it that you want to accomplish with this post exactly?  I am asking because Rich asked us to be civil, and here I am trying so hard, and am just getting posts like this as a response.  Shame on you guys.  This is really sad.

Edited by kelownabomberfan

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...