US Politics

Rich

Muslim hatred comes to Canada

Two men were arrested following last night's shooting at a Quebec City mosque that left six people dead and 18 wounded, in what Quebec's premier described as a "murderous act directed at a specific community."

Edited by Mark F

8 hours ago, kelownabomberfan said:

So this is a prime example then of what you are talking about, right Mark?  This really is a total load of crap.  I can't see this ban lasting, it's just not going to work. These bans will be reversed soon.  There is so legal basis for it, whatsover.

http://cnews.canoe.com/CNEWS/Canada/2017/01/29/22700549.html

Exactly that. The fact that it's even news shows a complete lack of research by Trump's administration. Fear trumps facts...

51 minutes ago, Rich said:

The 90 day ban was put in until they can review and change the current immigration procedures.    I'm very curious to see what changes they are going to make in those 90 days so that they feel they can lift the ban.   Hope I'm wrong, but have a feeling this is just the tip of the iceberg.  

Most refugees are from camps already vetted by the U.N. I believe this is fear mongering, and as you say, just the tip of the ice berg.

39 minutes ago, Mark F said:

Two men were arrested following last night's shooting at a Quebec City mosque that left six people dead and 18 wounded, in what Quebec's premier described as a "murderous act directed at a specific community."

Fear. Irrational, unfounded, fear.

4 hours ago, Mark F said:

If this was done by ISIS, (and it might have been) is it really "Muslim hatred" or just another terrorist attack inspired by ISIS? 

39 minutes ago, kelownabomberfan said:

Not sure how you came to that conclusion...

You referenced "just going to Vegas".  Are you a white guy from Canada?  Because we're not likely going to raise a lot of eyebrows going to Vegas.  But my less white friends might and they still dont deserve to be overly-screened because the President's advisers are racist.

Trump's order wouldnt have stopped a single 9/11 Hijacker from entering the US. 

9 minutes ago, do or die said:

Listening to Trump, and his blaring mouthpieces..... "Alt-right Breitbart" Bannon and Kellyanne "Alternative Facts" Conway.....make me reach for my gin....and my Orwell.

Ill hand it to Conway, she's a great example of a smart woman succeeding in a man's world.  Especially the Alt Right.  She's brilliant.  She drives me nuts too but only because of her incredible ability at pivoting talking points and walking back Trump's nonsense in a passable way. 

The idea of Bannon holding Trump's strings and sitting on the NSC is sickening though.

2 hours ago, The Unknown Poster said:

You referenced "just going to Vegas".  Are you a white guy from Canada?  Because we're not likely going to raise a lot of eyebrows going to Vegas.  But my less white friends might and they still dont deserve to be overly-screened because the President's advisers are racist.

Trump's order wouldnt have stopped a single 9/11 Hijacker from entering the US. 

The original question was posed by Rich I believe, in that he was asking if wanting to see peoples' phones was going to cause a tourism drop.  I stated that I wouldn't care and it wouldn't stop me from going to the US.  Then you jumped into body cavity searches, and I said that I would draw the line there.  Now somehow this has become a white guy thing.  I should have known that that was where this was headed, and just hit "like" instead of offering my opinion on phone searches I guess.

3 minutes ago, kelownabomberfan said:

The original question was posed by Rich I believe, in that he was asking if wanting to see peoples' phones was going to cause a tourism drop.  I stated that I wouldn't care and it wouldn't stop me from going to the US.  Then you jumped into body cavity searches, and I said that I would draw the line there.  Now somehow this has become a white guy thing.  I should have known that that was where this was headed, and just hit "like" instead of offering my opinion on phone searches I guess.

Thats true.  Or when it got to the point where you wished you had just hit "like" and stopped, you could have taken your own advice and not belittled the idea of it being a "white guy thing" since, as a white guy, its too easy for you to belittle.  But hey, as long as get to Vegas unencumbered, that's the important part.

Now for the limited part of your post that was relevant, I dont think phone based searches will lower tourism since they have that right now.  And if it becomes widespread, people will just preemptively sanitize their phones or use burner phones (or buy a local phone).  But we all know that cell phone searching as a policy isnt the end, its the beginning. 

15 hours ago, kelownabomberfan said:

So this is a prime example then of what you are talking about, right Mark?  This really is a total load of crap.  I can't see this ban lasting, it's just not going to work. These bans will be reversed soon.  There is so legal basis for it, whatsover.

http://cnews.canoe.com/CNEWS/Canada/2017/01/29/22700549.html

From what I've read, Customs and Border Patrol agents have been ignoring the court orders. 

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2017/jan/29/customs-border-protection-agents-trump-muslim-country-travel-ban

8 minutes ago, The Unknown Poster said:

.  But hey, as long as get to Vegas unencumbered, that's the important part.

Now for the limited part of your post that was relevant, I dont think phone based searches will lower tourism since they have that right now.  And if it becomes widespread, people will just preemptively sanitize their phones or use burner phones (or buy a local phone).  But we all know that cell phone searching as a policy isnt the end, its the beginning. 

I also like going to Hawaii too.  Don't forget that.  Thank you for telling me what was relevant in my post.  I get it, everyone is just supposed to agree all the time here with the narrative, or be dumped on.  Once again, I don't think anyone should be body cavity searched, or if that does become a regular thing then it will limit tourism.  Not sure what is belittling about that statement.

1 minute ago, Jacquie said:

From what I've read, Customs and Border Patrol agents have been ignoring the court orders. 

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2017/jan/29/customs-border-protection-agents-trump-muslim-country-travel-ban

Awful.  It might not matter by then, but when this cools down, I hope those Agents are fired and face charges for violating a court order.  The confusion creates a scenario where employees do what they feel they should do as opposed to what is their legal requirement.  Any wonder this dropped on a friday night? 

2 minutes ago, kelownabomberfan said:

I also like going to Hawaii too.  Don't forget that.  Thank you for telling me what was relevant in my post.  I get it, everyone is just supposed to agree all the time here with the narrative, or be dumped on.  Once again, I don't think anyone should be body cavity searched, or if that does become a regular thing then it will limit tourism.  Not sure what is belittling about that statement.

You're smart enough to know exactly what you did in your reply.  The entire first part, where you explained your reply was originally to Rich's comment was sufficient in explaining to me your position.  And would have elicited a positive reply from me. 

Rumour has it the next Trump EO will be to allow discrimination against gays etc. 

Which is interesting because during the election trump was asked about gay marriage and said he didn't care who married whom. Tells you who's really in charge. 

There is a growing movement calling for his impeachment on grounds he's violating the constitution due to his business dealings.  

29 minutes ago, The Unknown Poster said:

Rumour has it the next Trump EO will be to allow discrimination against gays etc. 

Which is interesting because during the election trump was asked about gay marriage and said he didn't care who married whom. Tells you who's really in charge. 

Yeah I was just reading about that.  He's essentially going to reverse a presidential order brought in by Obama.  It's also telling as Trump used homophobia as an excuse for the Muslim ban.  Apparently Pence wants to bring in the religious freedom laws he introduced in Indiana as well.