Coach of the year finalists

Goalie

Ah Great! a guy who goes from 12-6 to 8-9-1 gets nominated for coach of the year instead of a guy who went from 5-13 to 11-7. Isn't this supposed to be the best coach in the league? Who cares where they come from?

I was going to say it should be done by the fans but who know who would be stuffing the ballot boxes.

In the grand scheme it doesn't really matter if O' Shea was named or not, since if he couldn't beat out Dickenson for the West nod, he wasn't going to beat him out league-wide at the end of the day. However, I'd like to see the awards do the same as COY used to do and name 3 finalists. If you want to keep a West and an East rep, fine, but add a 3rd body. MOP should be Mitchell vs Reilly (and imagine no East rep and add Adarus Bowman - teammates going for the MOP), Defensive MOP could certainly have added Leggett, Shimoni Lawrence,  or Adam Bighill to the mix,  Andrew Harris to MO Canadian, Sorenson from Edm or Spencer Wilson from Calgary for lineman, and Grant Shaw and his FG percentage or McDuffie and his two kickoff return TDs could add to special teams POY. And Loffler of course to the rookie mix, since defensive player vs offensive receiver is a more interesting debate than receiver vs lineman.

Edited by TrueBlue4ever

On ‎11‎/‎10‎/‎2016 at 8:59 AM, Noeller said:

Derek Taylor brings up a good point that, while MOS would likely publicly say that he doesn't give 2 shits about individual recognition for COY, it *does* probably have a lot of importance to him come contract-talk time....

All Osh needs to do is go 14-4 next year and then he'll get the recognition.  I agree though this year would have helped his contract talks, somewhat.  I think by now we all know what he brings to the table, and it was great watching him finally come into his own this year.  That was a steep learning curve.

On 11/11/2016 at 11:02 AM, kelownabomberfan said:

All Osh needs to do is go 14-4 next year and then he'll get the recognition.  I agree though this year would have helped his contract talks, somewhat.  I think by now we all know what he brings to the table, and it was great watching him finally come into his own this year.  That was a steep learning curve.

If he does that and TO continues to struggle hmmmmm.... 

5 hours ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

Why has the CFL gone so screwy the past few years? From strange PI rules to coaches challenges to Campbell getting nominated for COTY. What has happened to the CFL??

The CFL has always been in a state of near-crisis. Nothing new here.

On November 11, 2016 at 0:26 AM, Goalie said:

1 division 

Calgary BC get byes 

Winnipeg vs Hamilton in Winnipeg. 

Edmonton vs Ottawa in Edmonton 

Or 

Calgary vs Hamilton 

BC vs Ottawa .

Winnipeg vs Edmonton 

It just makes more sense 

Please explain how option 2 would work in the second round of the playoffs...

2 hours ago, Noeller said:

Oh I don't disagree... But I'm a noted traditionalist. It's worked fine till now... Don't let one off year allow you to change everything forever. 

Crossover was a baby step towards having one division. I Have no problem with the teams who are in the playoffs, but Ottawa should not be getting a bye. 

• 3 weeks later...
On ‎11‎/‎10‎/‎2016 at 0:17 PM, Bomber_fanaddict said:

I thought Coach of the YEAR included the playoffs. What if the Bombers pull off the miraculous GC win? Wouldn't that vault Mike over the top for COY?

This is why I think CoY should be just that! Coach of the YEAR. Sure we didn't win the GC but now that Ottawa did I think Campbell should have gotten the Nod. Yes they played in a weaker division. Yes they had barley a .500 record but he out coached Dickenson in the biggest game of the season. And I don't think it should just go to the coach who wins the GC every year. But this year Campbell was able to coach his guys through 2 playoff games and keep them in it until the final whistle.  

19 hours ago, Bomber_fanaddict said:

This is why I think CoY should be just that! Coach of the YEAR. Sure we didn't win the GC but now that Ottawa did I think Campbell should have gotten the Nod. Yes they played in a weaker division. Yes they had barley a .500 record but he out coached Dickenson in the biggest game of the season. And I don't think it should just go to the coach who wins the GC every year. But this year Campbell was able to coach his guys through 2 playoff games and keep them in it until the final whistle.  

You don't think it should just go to the coach who wins the GC every year but think it should go to Campbell because he won the GC?

That's a contradiction.

In what year would the coach winning the biggest game of the year, the Grey Cup, not win the CoY award then?

46 minutes ago, JCon said:

You don't think it should just go to the coach who wins the GC every year but think it should go to Campbell because he won the GC?

That's a contradiction.

In what year would the coach winning the biggest game of the year, the Grey Cup, not win the CoY award then?

Particularly when the RB's were such underdogs.