Drew Willy

iso_55

On October 2, 2016 at 6:50 PM, kelownabomberfan said:

Those ducks Willy was throwing today were just embarrassing.  I don't know where Drew Willy circa 2014 has gone, but it doesn't look like he's coming back.

His mind, spirit and body were crushed playing behind the bombers oline that was truly offensive when he was a starter.

I feel for him because the Bombers were negligent in their treatment of him. They set him up for failure and likely ruined his career. They should have had a mobile qb behind that oline not a pocket passer.

8 hours ago, kelownabomberfan said:

I wonder why he was cut???  This makes no sense.  Anyone know what happened here?  Salary cap?  

Combination of salary issues and arguing with the coach on the sidelines from what I saw.

I'd like to see him in WPg. Guy always seemed to have good hands and is a big guy, which we lack.

13 minutes ago, Stickem said:

If we don't try to acquire Gurley something is radically wrong here...He's exactly what we need and better than Sinkfield in my opinion...Because he had problems in T.O. doesn't necessarily translate to problems here...Different scenario altogether between us and the argos..

I'm willing to give certain guys a 2nd chance.... now Khalif Mitchell on the other hand....

3 hours ago, sportmentary2012 said:

His mind, spirit and body were crushed playing behind the bombers oline that was truly offensive when he was a starter.

I feel for him because the Bombers were negligent in their treatment of him. They set him up for failure and likely ruined his career. They should have had a mobile qb behind that oline not a pocket passer.

He's a professional athlete, the Bombers paid him big dollars and gifted him the keys to the car, unfortunately he couldn't figure out how to drive it. 

5 hours ago, tacklewasher said:

Combination of salary issues and arguing with the coach on the sidelines from what I saw.

I'd like to see him in WPg. Guy always seemed to have good hands and is a big guy, which we lack.

In terms of salary, I highly doubt that any of the three were a concern at this time. 

Every QB gets Sacked a bunch. Every QB gets hit.  I'll bet he got hit a ton in college also. It's part of the game. Plus his injuries weren't exactly the result of getting Sacked or hit... it was the result of well..... basically just playing a sport. I mean it's one thing to say he's been hit or Sacked but to say that his injuries were a result of that? I dunno. That's like saying sasks oline was at fault for Durant getting hurt when he basically hurt it all by himself.  

His injuries were fluke injuries. I'm a Drew Willy fan but it's pretty obvious at this point to even me that perhaps Drew Willy just wasn't as good as people thought. Slow release combined with not very good at scrambling. 

Drew Willy just wasn't as good as some of us thought he was.  

The bombers actually gave him chance after chance to show he was a good QB but he never really rewarded them did he? 

Drew Willy screwed Drew Willy 

You know who gets hit more than Willy? Mike Reilly .... but he gets up and continues on. Drew Willy never could.  He's just mentally weak and you can't be mentally weak as s QB. 

Edited by Goalie

6 hours ago, Throw Long Bannatyne said:

He's a professional athlete, the Bombers paid him big dollars and gifted him the keys to the car, unfortunately he couldn't figure out how to drive it. 

Tell me about his car.. It would not move on the first try then would jump about 3 yards on the second try and then stall. The mechanic said the motor was fine but suspected a software glitch. 

11 hours ago, sportmentary2012 said:

The Bombers were negligent in their treatment of Drew Willy? Do you even know what the word means? This is maybe the worst post about Drew Willy I've ever read

5 hours ago, Goalie said:

Every QB gets Sacked a bunch. Every QB gets hit.  I'll bet he got hit a ton in college also. It's part of the game. Plus his injuries weren't exactly the result of getting Sacked or hit... it was the result of well..... basically just playing a sport. I mean it's one thing to say he's been hit or Sacked but to say that his injuries were a result of that? I dunno. That's like saying sasks oline was at fault for Durant getting hurt when he basically hurt it all by himself.  

His injuries were fluke injuries. I'm a Drew Willy fan but it's pretty obvious at this point to even me that perhaps Drew Willy just wasn't as good as people thought. Slow release combined with not very good at scrambling. 

Drew Willy just wasn't as good as some of us thought he was.  

The bombers actually gave him chance after chance to show he was a good QB but he never really rewarded them did he? 

Drew Willy screwed Drew Willy 

You know who gets hit more than Willy? Mike Reilly .... but he gets up and continues on. Drew Willy never could.  He's just mentally weak and you can't be mentally weak as s QB. 

1. We had guys likes Picard and Morley getting beat snap after snap

2. Reilly usually gets hit when he scrambles to extend plays. He has a very reckless playing style - that's not on his OL

3. Given what the Argos gave up to get him - they are clearly of the belief that Drew Willy can still be effective

50 minutes ago, Mark H. said:

1. We had guys likes Picard and Morley getting beat snap after snap

2. Reilly usually gets hit when he scrambles to extend plays. He has a very reckless playing style - that's not on his OL

3. Given what the Argos gave up to get him - they are clearly of the belief that Drew Willy can still be effective

This is such a canard. Just because another GM has made a mistake on Willy doesn't some how give him real value. He's been the same garbage in Toronto for the first 1.5 games there, and there's no reason to think that will get better. 

23 minutes ago, White Out said:

This is such a canard. Just because another GM has made a mistake on Willy doesn't some how give him real value. He's been the same garbage in Toronto for the first 1.5 games there, and there's no reason to think that will get better. 

Yes, I'm sure you're a better QB evaluator than Milanovich 

3 minutes ago, White Out said:

When it comes to Drew Willy. Yes. Yes I am.

Or are you taking the hilarious position that GM's are infallible? You know, like the Pope?

Nope, just think it's better to let things play out and not assume we've got it all figured out. 

1 minute ago, Mark H. said:

Nope, just think it's better to let things play out and not assume we've got it all figured out. 

Drew has been getting starts in the CFL since 2014. He's 30 in a month. I think we can safely draw conclusions. Your post about Milanovich being a better at observing QB talent  has literally nothing to do with Willy or facts. Lets not forget Toronto chose an aging Ray or Trevor Harris and Zach Collaros. Now they've overpaid for a mediocre Willy. Real expertise there.

I will add this and them be done with the Willy talk. Drew Willy needs to find himself mentally this off season. If he can actually do that he has a chance to turn things around. If not... he's done. But to me his issues seem mental. I'm not sure that you can fix that 

As for Reilly.... Reilly takes a beating... and played behind an arguably worse oline than Willy did his first year in Edmonton.  Guess what... he got hurt. But he came back... he still takes a beating tho at times.... self inflicted or not... a big hit is a big hit. Reilly is just mentally stronger than Drew Willy 

Edited by Goalie

17 minutes ago, Goalie said:

I will add this and them be done with the Willy talk. Drew Willy needs to find himself mentally this off season. If he can actually do that he has a chance to turn things around. If not... he's done. But to me his issues seem mental. I'm not sure that you can fix that 

As for Reilly.... Reilly takes a beating... and played behind an arguably worse oline than Willy did his first year in Edmonton.  Guess what... he got hurt. But he came back... he still takes a beating tho at times.... self inflicted or not... a big hit is a big hit. Reilly is just mentally stronger than Drew Willy 

Reilly is Beast Mode compared to Willy. The man is a warrior & his teammates not only play with him; they play for him. He inspires confidence on the field. Can anyone say Willy is  any of that?

Then again, who am I to say? I suffered a serious knee injury in 1975 where I tore every major ligament & cartilage in my left knee. It's called the Terrible Triad which was a life changer for me at 20 years of age. I never fully recovered from the injury. I had 3 knee operations in the first 5 years after the injury & another in 2003 on my right knee as I was wearing it out all the years since compensating for the left. 

Out of outright fear I gave up a lot. I was pretty active physically before the injury especially as a skier. Used to play softball. Since the injury I have never been on skis again. I'll be honest, I don't think if I was a pro qb I'd have come back from that injury without being absolutely deathly afraid of suffering a second serious knee injury so not only would I have been messed up physically because of my knee injury but messed up mentally from just being scared. My CFL career would have been over.

So, Willy has a lot more courage than I have to even be on the field after the knee & leg injury he suffered in 2015. I certainly respect him for that. This is coming from a guy who truly knows how bad a severe knee injury can be.