Red Zone: FG's are NOT enough

BigBlue

Like any game the qb made some good ones, some poor ones, had receivers blow some on him. Lapo is going full 2011 though. D is dominating the turnover battle so he is full on just don't **** up mode. 0 risks and boring as shut offense that struggles without the D getting them primo field position

3 hours ago, BigBlue said:

To me the difference between an average team and a good team is what they do with the ball on 1st down inside the opponent's 20 yard line.

As much as I liked Medlock  kicking 7 FGs, I felt like our play selection in the red zone is not getting the job done.

My working theory is that on first down, we are throwing the ball into the endzone and if that does not work we are left with a low percentage 2nd and long.... hence low redzone production. The defense is under extra pressure near their goal line and tighten up. The usual dink and dunk doesn't work the same because the entire D is creeping up when we are inside the 20. There are ways to spread the defense out but I don't think we are finding them.

What do you think will improve our redzone production?

What did we do when we got into scoring range on first down? We threw deep downfield & weren't successful. Instead of using Harris on 1st down or throwing underneath to extend drives either LaPo or Nichols got impatient & tried to score quick which killed every drive we had other than the TD. LaPo & Nichols have to be smarter & extend drives. Other than Dressler & Denmark we don't have the receivers to go out & make those highlight reel catches. So, be patient & burn the clock. Shorter passes or run on 1st down. Make it easier to convert on 2nd down.

3 hours ago, tracker said:

When your offence scores only one touchdown, you will win some games but you will lose more than you win. We are probably going to make the playoffs due to a ferocious defence and a darned good kicker, but unless the offence gets untracked, we are going to be a one and done team there.

Not if the opposing team gives up 4 turnovers and surrenders 7 critical points on STs. Yes they need to work on the red zone play but they got picked apart by Durant today too so lets not pretend that offence was the only problem today. Medlock bailed the offence out and the defence bailed themselves out with two timely picks. However, they have to tighten up in the secondary.

2 hours ago, Goalie said:

That game is the riders Grey Cup every year. Like Durant said this is 1 game they don't lose at home. They lost. 

Screw them. They've been lucky a lot of the time over the years. They got the calls from the refs at the most opportune time over & over in a lot of these games.

2 hours ago, Goalie said:

That game is the riders Grey Cup every year. Like Durant said this is 1 game they don't lose at home. They lost. 

Screw them. They've been lucky a lot of the time over the years too.

13 hours ago, tracker said:

When your offence scores only one touchdown, you will win some games but you will lose more than you win. We are probably going to make the playoffs due to a ferocious defence and a darned good kicker, but unless the offence gets untracked, we are going to be a one and done team there.

Yeah!! You know the saying, defense doesn't win....oh wait.

12 hours ago, Jpan85 said:

Dressler was open all game they are going to start hitting those plays.

He really is open most times. But he's so shifty and fast and as a QB your timing needs to be quick and decisive. If Nichols and Dressler start to get some chemistry, wow.

Edited by HardCoreBlue
Spelling

I thought Nichols was going to throw more interceptions.

He's really sorted that out to this point. Think we've got to give some credit to Buck too regarding Nichols.

The long pass to Denmark was outstanding. I'd say it was a perfect throw.

Don't know if they tried that one again, and couldn't pull it off, or simply didn't go back to that play.

Edited by Mark F

What has not been talked about in this thread is the effect the constantly changing cast of receivers is having on the passing game. Some QBs and receivers have instant chemistry, but others take time to develop, and the difference between a reception and incomplete or intercepted passes is very small sometimes. It would be very nice to have the same set of receivers for 2-3 games and maybe then our red-zone performance might improve.

30 minutes ago, tracker said:

What has not been talked about in this thread is the effect the constantly changing cast of receivers is having on the passing game. Some QBs and receivers have instant chemistry, but others take time to develop, and the difference between a reception and incomplete or intercepted passes is very small sometimes. It would be very nice to have the same set of receivers for 2-3 games and maybe then our red-zone performance might improve.

You could see a few times yesterday where Dressler and Nichols were just not on the same page. They get that worked out the offense automatically improves because Dressler might be a midget but he's a good receiver.

We were up 19-3, when it should of been more like 30-3......

Then the O went right into safety mode (ole Lapo habit)   Can't take a 16 point lead, to the bank, with a half to go in the CFL.   

Our use of Harris was somewhat mystifying - why do we go away from him, deep in enemy territory?    Why, against the weakest interior line in the league, were we running all that stuff to the outside?

43 minutes ago, do or die said:

We were up 19-3, when it should of been more like 30-3......

Then the O went right into safety mode (ole Lapo habit)   Can't take a 16 point lead, to the bank, with a half to go in the CFL.   

Our use of Harris was somewhat mystifying - why do we go away from him, deep in enemy territory?    Why, against the weakest interior line in the league, were we running all that stuff to the outside?

Exactly with regard to Harris deep...AND when is the last time we've seen Kohlert catch something over the middle  in the red zone...Geez can't Lapo mix it up...Too many missed opportunities...I don't know why but that catch by Smith, when it looked like he had Velcro on his hands and hip, stands out..I'd like to see more of that (of course with no sticky stuff)...a short pass just short of the end zone and let em run it in...Something has to get us going when we're deep..

On 9/4/2016 at 8:58 PM, Mr Dee said:

Quincy McDuffie (2), Denmark, Dressler were all hit in stride...great throws, but if you mean all of them going for a TD, then no...what a bum.

No i mean putting passes between the numbers, not forcing guys to lay out and leave them self vulnerable which he did countless times. You right he did hit some guys in stride and did so better in this game then the past games, but the majority of his passes beyond mid range are far off the man. 

23 hours ago, Mr Dee said:

Looks like others saw the same thing...

idk who eric M is, but we make very very little use out of the fade route. 

You're really reaching in some of your stuff...

And Eric M. is that knowledgable poster Bomber Buzz, who gave us that great breakdown in the analysis of the Calgary game in week 2. 

http://morningbigblue.com/community/topic/9931-eric-from-bomber-buzz-analyzed-every-single-play-of-the-calgary-game/?do=findComment&comment=206611

12 hours ago, wbbfan said:

No i mean putting passes between the numbers, not forcing guys to lay out and leave them self vulnerable which he did countless times. You right he did hit some guys in stride and did so better in this game then the past games, but the majority of his passes beyond mid range are far off the man. 

idk who eric M is, but we make very very little use out of the fade route. 

You lost all credibility when you said that Lapo would be fired before years end and Buck would take over!