The OL Excuse

Floyd

13 hours ago, Atomic said:

I'd like to see Bond at tackle but I've actually thought Hardrick has been one of our better OL thus far.... I'd go with:

Bryant - Hardrick - Goossen - Chungh - Bond... start D. Jones at field corner to balance the ratio

This is what I'd do for the ol. Imo Hardrick has been our best ol.

I'd probably make the ratio switch at safety though.

4 hours ago, tracker said:

Neufeld is not an all-star but he is serviceable when used in the right scheme plus he has the right passport. Considering the struggles of the O-line, I am beginning to wonder if Wylie is as good as he is supposed to be.

Serviceable? When? He's always hurt. He's well paid to sit on the Injured list. He can't help us so he should be cut.

Neufeld 'was' serviceable in Saskatchewan... but no one blinked when he was traded.  

On a team that desperately needed to protect its QB, starting another journeyman at RT seems like a critical mistake.  Especially one who is a guaranteed injury.  Even moving on to an Andrew Jones or Corey Watman would have been an upgrade from Neufeld.

The inability to find an import RT for now 7 maybe 8 years...?  That is scary.

4 hours ago, tracker said:

Neufeld is not an all-star but he is serviceable when used in the right scheme plus he has the right passport. Considering the struggles of the O-line, I am beginning to wonder if Wylie is as good as he is supposed to be.

I've been wondering about this all season and most of last.

12 minutes ago, iso_55 said:

Serviceable? When? He's always hurt. He's well paid to sit on the Injured list. He can't help us so he should be cut.

Yes, his brittleness is a concern, but at the last Banjo Bowl I met his parents and they seemed to be very nice people.

4 minutes ago, do or die said:

Yup, takes time to draft and get the CDN's up to speed....in the interim, we have desperately needed some top flight import OL.  Massive recruitment fail.

Last year we made our "big splash" to upgrade the OL  Neufeld and Picard. 

Ouch......

Really starting to wonder about that Greaves trade now... its great replacing the pick we used on Waggoner but sure could use a stable presence at Guard.  In fact, Morley would help this OL...

Chungh has taken a step back this year, really wonder if there's too much pressure on both him and Goossen.

4 minutes ago, Floyd said:

Really starting to wonder about that Greaves trade now... its great replacing the pick we used on Waggoner but sure could use a stable presence at Guard.  In fact, Morley would help this OL...

Chungh has taken a step back this year, really wonder if there's too much pressure on both him and Goossen.

When we start talking about bringing Steve Morley back, we have reached the outer limits of desperation.

5 hours ago, tracker said:

I am in this camp as well. There are ALWAYS schemes that can be done that give the oline a chance I rarely see that done.

20 hours ago, iso_55 said:

Hold on amigo, with the shortage of Natl. talent on the O-line Neufeld shouldn't be disposed of until his backup is standing in front of him and even then it's not a great idea.  Walters has moved Natl. talent before he was ready to do so before, so hopefully he's learned from those lessons.

20 hours ago, tracker said:

When we start talking about bringing Steve Morley back, we have reached the outer limits of desperation.

I think it was Walby joking on twitter that Morley needs to put that 100 lbs back on and get suited up!

I don't think cutting Neufeld is a good idea.. I've always though he would be a perfect 6th man... wouldn't play enough to get hurt and he has to versatility to play almost every position on the line in case of injury...

2 minutes ago, Floyd said:

Either way, going into the season with Neufeld at RT and no proven tackle backing him up was not a great idea.

I was very concerned about how long Neufeld would play. I think he is done. Can't count on a guy that's never there when you need him. Hardrick played Guard and Tackle here last year and IMHO thought he played pretty well. I would have liked to have seen him back with us this year.  He has been your best Lineman this year. Love his enthusiasm too, real team guy. I'd start him at tackle the rest of the way. Goosen has been your worst, not sure who else you guys have to throw in there but something has to give.

Here's what OL depth means...

Sorenson gets injured, Groulx already on 6-game...  

Rottier moves to C and Chris Greaves plugs in... sixth OL is now Figueroa with David Beard their 2015 pick still being groomed on roster

This isn't even one of the best lines in the league... but at least Hervey knows how to build from the OL out.