The OL Excuse

Floyd

23 minutes ago, Floyd said:

Here's what OL depth means...

Sorenson gets injured, Groulx already on 6-game...  

Rottier moves to C and Chris Greaves plugs in... sixth OL is now Figueroa with David Beard their 2015 pick still being groomed on roster

This isn't even one of the best lines in the league... but at least Hervey knows how to build from the OL out.

Now they're just rubbing it in.

1 hour ago, Floyd said:

Here's what OL depth means...

Sorenson gets injured, Groulx already on 6-game...  

Rottier moves to C and Chris Greaves plugs in... sixth OL is now Figueroa with David Beard their 2015 pick still being groomed on roster

This isn't even one of the best lines in the league... but at least Hervey knows how to build from the OL out.

didnt you start this thread saying the ol problem is an excuse? now your complaining about our depth and moves on the ol what?

4 hours ago, wbbfan said:

didnt you start this thread saying the ol problem is an excuse? now your complaining about our depth and moves on the ol what?

If you read the post, you would realize that lack of depth is not Matt Goossen or Stanley Bryant's fault or Bob Wylie's...

Like I said, the OL is not great but other teams have problems too... doesn't mean I don't think our OL can't improve... I just don't think they should take the blame for what is more of a Kyle Walters issue... Qb talent and OL depth

1 hour ago, Floyd said:

If you read the post, you would realize that lack of depth is not Matt Goossen or Stanley Bryant's fault or Bob Wylie's...

Like I said, the OL is not great but other teams have problems too... doesn't mean I don't think our OL can't improve... I just don't think they should take the blame for what is more of a Kyle Walters issue... Qb talent and OL depth

how do you explain andrew harris? 

50 minutes ago, wbbfan said:

how do you explain andrew harris? 

He's an excellent free agent signing... Walters is very good at free agency.  Willy 'should' have the tools to succeed.

But it still doesn't change the fact that eight years and three regimes since Kevin Glenn, we have no QB and suspect OL starters/depth.  This is the core of any team.

19 hours ago, Floyd said:

He's an excellent free agent signing... Walters is very good at free agency.  Willy 'should' have the tools to succeed.

But it still doesn't change the fact that eight years and three regimes since Kevin Glenn, we have no QB and suspect OL starters/depth.  This is the core of any team.

and why is he getting 2 yards per carry? Willy has the tool to succeed but he doesnt? You under rate other teams OL. A good ol that works as a unit can bring a guy off the bench they know who knows the system and make it work. A poor OL that isnt playing as a unit is never 1 piece away from fixing things. And the OL is performing the worst of any in the league. 

Heard Walby on 1290 today he says that this line is talented they are just not getting much help. Running to many dive plays right up the middle and teams are keying up the middle. Would like to see them run more to the outside and spread the defense out opening more lanes up for Harris. I would think I would take the opinion of one of the greatest to the games over anyone else.

59 minutes ago, Jpan85 said:

Heard Walby on 1290 today he says that this line is talented they are just not getting much help. Running to many dive plays right up the middle and teams are keying up the middle. Would like to see them run more to the outside and spread the defense out opening more lanes up for Harris. I would think I would take the opinion of one of the greatest to the games over anyone else.

Thats a part of it. We should be running more of the counters, counter traps, sweeps, quick toss, veer, off tackle etc. Just not the same up the middle and draw plays. Some Shovel pass with harris would be great too. I think its more then that though. Plenty of other teams in the league get better production out of their OLs with out strong and consistent running game. 

It's never just one thing, most often it's a combination of a lot of things. Maybe the game plan is too vanilla (gee no one said that about Lapo before we hired him....) but guys are missing plays that are there as well. That's actually the most frustrating thing about the line in my mind. They are so hit or miss with no in between. Seems that if they don't get a great block in they completely whiff and don't even slow anyone down. 

30 minutes ago, 17to85 said:

It's never just one thing, most often it's a combination of a lot of things. Maybe the game plan is too vanilla (gee no one said that about Lapo before we hired him....) but guys are missing plays that are there as well. That's actually the most frustrating thing about the line in my mind. They are so hit or miss with no in between. Seems that if they don't get a great block in they completely whiff and don't even slow anyone down. 

You can't be serious. 

18 minutes ago, pigseye said:

How about a two back set with some misdirection and........oh I forgot it's Lapo.

we dont have a legit 2nd threat at rb or a strong blocker on the roster to make that work. We cant dress flanders as we are allready spread thin with injuries. 

Just now, wbbfan said:

we dont have a legit 2nd threat at rb or a strong blocker on the roster to make that work. We cant dress flanders as we are allready spread thin with injuries. 

Doesn't have to be a RB, could be McDuffie, Dressler or any receiver.

Did you notice Ottawa used 3 backs in their game against the Riders, and all had different plays for them, it was really quite impressive to see.

2 hours ago, Jpan85 said:

That's what I have been saying for at least two years. We currently have one of the best if not the best back to outside and we have him running up the middle. It's sickening. Regardless of what happens in the first quarter with the run you have to keep with it if you want to start to relieve the pressure on the line.

If you also decide to throw for most of the game you can't have the QB just lounging in a straight drop. You have to move the pocket.

for the record, I don't blame Willy for the pick six I blame Lapo for beating the dead horse with that quick out all f'ing night. OF COURSE they were going to pick it off at some point. We are talking Calgary secondary not Winnipeg secondary. They know what they are doing. In case people were not keeping track, when Winnipeg has used the out they have a varied success with it. Meanwhile every time they have thrown a inside crossing pattern they have gained five or better yards. The majority of the teams they have played have left the short middle empty. That leaves the crossing play underneath open and, if they played smart it would leave the opportunity for the middle deep seam pattern open. 

The trick is though they have to use the run and move the pocket to slow the rush and spread the defence out.

5 minutes ago, pigseye said:

Doesn't have to be a RB, could be McDuffie, Dressler or any receiver.

Did you notice Ottawa used 3 backs in their game against the Riders, and all had different plays for them, it was really quite impressive to see.

mcduffies hands havent proven to be nearly secure enough to trust in the back field as of yet. Running dressler out of the back field with an injury isnt a great idea either.

Ottawa is a successful offense. people know this, they have tons of wrs. Teams will respect what they show till its shown that you dont need to. We are not in the at situation. What we use has to work and work well and it will still take teams a while to respect it if it does. Putting another man in the back field and one that cant block will just mean another defender spying or rushing the back field. 

Just now, wbbfan said:

mcduffies hands havent proven to be nearly secure enough to trust in the back field as of yet. Running dressler out of the back field with an injury isnt a great idea either.

Ottawa is a successful offense. people know this, they have tons of wrs. Teams will respect what they show till its shown that you dont need to. We are not in the at situation. What we use has to work and work well and it will still take teams a while to respect it if it does. Putting another man in the back field and one that cant block will just mean another defender spying or rushing the back field. 

Lapo is trying to play smash mouth football but his lineup isn't conducive to it. We have speedsters and he needs to use them properly.  

Just now, pigseye said:

Lapo is trying to play smash mouth football but his lineup isn't conducive to it. We have speedsters and he needs to use them properly.  

thats true. All though harris cant play that style. We keep trying to chip block with tiny wr's and run junk that wouldnt work with any one less then messam, nik lewis and a couple others in the league. 

2 hours ago, 17to85 said:

People talked enough about Lapo's vanilla O.....his last go-round....

5 hours ago, Jpan85 said:

He did say they should be running more sweeps with Harris.