The OL Excuse

Floyd

I see some posters are still clinging onto this one...  that ship has sailed...

Yup, our OL is not that good but... but here's some of the starting centres so far this year...

Calgary - Roman Grozman, a 4th round 2016 pick that we valued less than Shayne Gauthier... 

Sask - Andrew Jones, an aging vet who really really can't snap

BC - Cody Husband, a journeyman OL who really should be a 6th OL

Edm - Sorenson, we rejoiced when he left...

Ham - Mathieu Girard... who?

You're telling me that every other QB has more time than Willy?  

And every other OC is better than Lapo?

DelMonaco can piece together Grozman (4th round), Bergman (5th), Thorn (7th) and Wilson (undrafted) but Wylie can't even get production out of Stanley Bryant...

Not buying it anymore.

how many Olines have turned the 2nd best rb in the league last year into a 2 yards per carry guy getting hit in the back field on every other play? the OL has been brutal most of this year. Its a fact not an opinion. The entire offense has been bad, but the OL is allways the primary limiting factor in the cfl.

Depth picks hit, its the nature of a  draft. Thats like every team in the nfl passing on tom brady 6-7 times. 

Couple of weeks ago, on the other site......I made a post challenging anyone to make a list of proven and sold guys on this OL, at that particular point.  I even offered bonus points for anyone to come up with more than 2.    No takers.  

Offer still stands.

Edited by do or die

4 minutes ago, wbbfan said:

how many Olines have turned the 2nd best rb in the league last year into a 2 yards per carry guy getting hit in the back field on every other play? the OL has been brutal most of this year. Its a fact not an opinion. The entire offense has been bad, but the OL is allways the primary limiting factor in the cfl.

Depth picks hit, its the nature of a  draft. Thats like every team in the nfl passing on tom brady 6-7 times. 

I'm not saying all those picks 'hit' - I'm actually saying they didn't and those teams still managed to win games.

8 minutes ago, do or die said:

Couple of weeks ago, on the other site......I made a post challenging anyone to make a list of proven and sold guys on this OL, at that particular point.  I even offered bonus points for anyone to come up with more than 2.    No takers.  

Offer still stands.

So we've officially given up on Bryant?

25 minutes ago, Floyd said:

Bryant-Chungh-Bond-Goossen-Hardrick

That's about the best option right now...

since when can bond snap? or hardrick play tackle? The same bond who isnt healthy and played 1 half of one pre season game?

57 minutes ago, do or die said:

Offer still stands.

Paddy neufeld is a proven solid guy. Chung on his own has been good and is a very good ol. Bryant of course. And the injured jeff keeping. The ol plays as less then the sum of its pieces. If bryant or chung was cut today, before the end of the day they would be signed and starting on one of several other teams. And of our four aside from hardick would be starting on another team this year. Keeping too. The problem is they arent playing well together and arent communicating or picking up the blitz. Walby says repeatedly in the pre games on 1290 that these guys need more established run plays and to get to tee off on the D. All the screen passes are still pass pro. They just get steam rolled and worn out. 

8 minutes ago, wbbfan said:

since when can bond snap? or hardrick play tackle? The same bond who isnt healthy and played 1 half of one pre season game?

Paddy neufeld is a proven solid guy. Chung on his own has been good and is a very good ol. Bryant of course. And the injured jeff keeping. The ol plays as less then the sum of its pieces. If bryant or chung was cut today, before the end of the day they would be signed and starting on one of several other teams. And of our four aside from hardick would be starting on another team this year. Keeping too. The problem is they arent playing well together and arent communicating or picking up the blitz. Walby says repeatedly in the pre games on 1290 that these guys need more established run plays and to get to tee off on the D. All the screen passes are still pass pro. They just get steam rolled and worn out. 

He got reps at Centre in camp...  and Goossen is struggling - better to give him a break than ruin his future.

You think Hardrick can't play tackle?

Neufeld was a 'decent' RT in Sask who was never as good as Heenan.  He has always been an awful guard.  Now he is injured again...

You think screen passes are the problem and Jeff Keeping is a solution?  Too early to have finished your 12 of Club, man.

If Bond is injured, why is he on the 46...  why not Foketi

Edited by Floyd

1 hour ago, Floyd said:

He got reps at Centre in camp...  and Goossen is struggling - better to give him a break than ruin his future.

You think Hardrick can't play tackle?

Neufeld was a 'decent' RT in Sask who was never as good as Heenan.  He has always been an awful guard.  Now he is injured again...

You think screen passes are the problem and Jeff Keeping is a solution?  Too early to have finished your 12 of Club, man.

If Bond is injured, why is he on the 46...  why not Foketi

doesnt mean he can be a consistant snapper, if he could have been there he would have been. Do you recall any of the guys we tried to convert to centre in the last 10 years or so?

Havent seen the foot work or quickness from him to play tackle no. Not to mention its very different mechanically. We struggle with in side protection trying to slide a guard out side isnt a good idea. In general tackles can play guards but most guards arent tackles. 

Neufeld was solid here too before this year. Just couldnt stay healthy. neufeld is a tackle not a guard. 

Screen passes arent a problem, the lack of run plays is. And as i said, thats walbys opinion.  Keeping at centre would improve the team. Hes far from the best centre in the league, but his strengths knowing how and when to switch picking up blitz and communicating such is exactly what goossen is struggling at. Thats the hardest part of playing C.

Bond has dressed for one game, as has adams. It says more about our depth at those positions. They have hardly been able to practice for the past month + they are both far from 100% and neither is ready or capable of stepping in and starting.  

8 minutes ago, wbbfan said:

doesnt mean he can be a consistant snapper, if he could have been there he would have been. Do you recall any of the guys we tried to convert to centre in the last 10 years or so? 

Steve Morley ended up looking pretty good, Justin Sorenson was terrible but is now a vet C in Edmonton... go figure.  Labatte was converted to C in Sask.

Bond is our import with the most interior experience.  Moving from G to C is not earth-shattering...  

9 minutes ago, wbbfan said:

Havent seen the foot work or quickness from him to play tackle no. Not to mention its very different mechanically. We struggle with in side protection trying to slide a guard out side isnt a good idea. In general tackles can play guards but most guards arent tackles. 

Hardrick played LT in BC and RT in Sask

11 minutes ago, wbbfan said:

Neufeld was solid here too before this year. Just couldnt stay healthy. neufeld is a tackle not a guard. 

Neufeld has been a guard since his arrival in Winnipeg.  This is his first real year at RT.

Hey, I agree - it would be better to trade for an experienced, talented and healthy Centre... but its not happening any time soon.

1 minute ago, Floyd said:

Steve Morley ended up looking pretty good, Justin Sorenson was terrible but is now a vet C in Edmonton... go figure.  Labatte was converted to C in Sask.

Bond is our import with the most interior experience.  Moving from G to C is not earth-shattering...  

Hardrick played LT in BC and RT in Sask

Neufeld has been a guard since his arrival in Winnipeg.  This is his first real year at RT.

Hey, I agree - it would be better to trade for an experienced, talented and healthy Centre... but its not happening any time soon.

Yeah some times a player needs a change of scenery some times management makes the wrong/poor decisions or some times choices just dont work out. 

g-c is a huge change, its completely different then any other position on the OL. You go from either pulling, pushing up a level to zone block, or most of the time blocking your man one on one, to all of that plus pre snap read, adjusting and calling out blocking assignments, blitz pick up, snapping the ball (snap to gun isnt nearly as easy as it looks) and having to do the switches and helping the guards with there blocks. Knowing when some one is gonna switch and be ready to pick it up etc.

Neufeld was a tackle who played 6th man in sask. Like i said its easier for a tackle to play inside then a guard to play out side. He played 9 games last year here filling in at guard. But he's a natural tackle. 

Chances of us trading for any starter quality OL is few and far between sadly. There isnt much available and what might come available would cost an arm and a leg. Im worried as is that chung will walk at the end of the season. Id love to see us get henoc move mo to S and start an extra imp on the ol. And tbh id have my trigger finger ready as soon as nfl cuts begin to air lift in imp OL. 

6 hours ago, do or die said:

Offer still stands.

Larry, Curly, Moe

10 minutes ago, Goalie said:

I think Bond at tackle for Neufeld 

Once Keeping is healthy 

Bryant Chungh Keeping Goossen Bond might be a good thing 

I'd like to see Bond at tackle but I've actually thought Hardrick has been one of our better OL thus far.... I'd go with:

Bryant - Hardrick - Goossen - Chungh - Bond... start D. Jones at field corner to balance the ratio

7 hours ago, wbbfan said:

Paddy neufeld is a proven solid guy.

Neufeld is a proven walking injury. We all knew that he'd be injured. Bonus he lasted almost 5 games. How can Neufeld be solid when he spends more time on the IL than he plays? What good is he to us? It's gone beyond keeping him around anymore collecting a paycheque.

1 hour ago, Atomic said:

I'd like to see Bond at tackle but I've actually thought Hardrick has been one of our better OL thus far.... I'd go with:

Bryant - Hardrick - Goossen - Chungh - Bond... start D. Jones at field corner to balance the ratio

pretty soon we might be starting all fresh faces in the secondary any way :P

16 minutes ago, pigseye said:

What's Doug Berry up to, he can fix/build an o-line because Wylie is failing miserably.

It really makes me wonder about some of our offense that wylie isnt able to turn this around. 

Edited by wbbfan

55 minutes ago, Mr. Perfect said:

Proven to be very mediocre at the best of times. Especially awful against the run. There is absolutely nothing solid whatsoever about his game.

against the run? hes an ol not a dl. And no he was solid before this year in which the whole line has looked bad.