Odds and Sods - Game 2 - Bombers at Stamps

43 minutes ago, pigseye said:

If O'Shea can't make common sense decisions, there is no hope for the man.

There is that. From watching and listening to him for the past 3 years I don't get the impression that he is the next Don Matthews.

sorry hit the wrong button. Yes we have brought in 4 allstars from other teams in order to boost the offensive production. One was and one would assume still is a shut down guard. The others are proven offensive threats providing they get the ball. To date that hasn't happened. Many point the finger at Willy, very few point the finger at LaPo. How about a lot of both and a poor HC. Willy hasn't been able to be anywhere close to a productive QB and as has been stated here previously the offense on the field starts with him. Secondly a poorly designed offense often leaves the QB open  to the desires of the defense. No alternatives in the case of blitzes etc. And finally a HC who doesn't obviously understand the offensive side of the ball nor does he understand momentum and confidence building other than not throwing a player under the bus. Now this is not considering poor time management by all three, poor execution by the QB, poor play calling by the OC. Will the players lose confidence in not only the QB but also the scheme-most definitely.

Personally I think Willy is not a good QB. I could go back three years since his arrival and only the first 6 games of his first year was he anywhere as advertised or better yet a "good" QB in this league. Yes he has had a flash now and then but the norm is terrible. As has been stated before he compiles his stats in garbage time. When the pressure is on to lead his team he disappears and if you watch the players walk off the field you can see the disenchantment in their body language and facial expressions.

What bothers me is MOS. He shows no emotion say at the end of the first half last game where the cameras caught him swearing at someone. His team in fact have taken his nonchalant manner and show little or no emotion hence a "what the heck I messed up there but that's okay" attitude. Now I'm sure they don't really feel that way but it sure looks like it. Further to MOS he is stubborn and will not sit a non effective QB to not only give him a different perspective but also perhaps to give the offense a much needed boost. I told those who watched the game with me that regardless of Willy's performance, he will remain in the game till the end. How sad a mere fan can read a professional coach so easy. And finally on MOS he doesn't understand how to build momentum for his team. They hire the most accurate kicker in CFL history and he fails to give him not one but two opportunities to put points on the board. Oh and yes Will took part in that second take away due to his lack of clock awareness. That does not build confidence or momentum and the other coach and team just smile.

Football is a violent game, an emotional game, and one that has to be played that way. When you come up short instead of simply walking of the field you should be stomping off the field really p..... that you didn't get it done and will make damn sure next time we will! I frankly don't see that in the Bombers.

I will say I feel sorry for LaPo as I'm sure he came here thinking with all the talent I have at my disposal, all my "new" offensive schemes should be a slam dunk. Little did he realize that he didn't have a QB who could throw for more than 5 yards. Little did he realize that his QB doesn't have any game sense or presence.

These last two performances simply confirm not renewing my season tickets was the best saving I ever made. I will still cheer but will be less invested in a country club loser atmosphere that has become the Bombers.

4 minutes ago, Old Bomber Fan said:

sorry hit the wrong button. Yes we have brought in 4 allstars from other teams in order to boost the offensive production. One was and one would assume still is a shut down guard. The others are proven offensive threats providing they get the ball. To date that hasn't happened. Many point the finger at Willy, very few point the finger at LaPo. How about a lot of both and a poor HC. Willy hasn't been able to be anywhere close to a productive QB and as has been stated here previously the offense on the field starts with him. Secondly a poorly designed offense often leaves the QB open  to the desires of the defense. No alternatives in the case of blitzes etc. And finally a HC who doesn't obviously understand the offensive side of the ball nor does he understand momentum and confidence building other than not throwing a player under the bus. Now this is not considering poor time management by all three, poor execution by the QB, poor play calling by the OC. Will the players lose confidence in not only the QB but also the scheme-most definitely.

Personally I think Willy is not a good QB. I could go back three years since his arrival and only the first 6 games of his first year was he anywhere as advertised or better yet a "good" QB in this league. Yes he has had a flash now and then but the norm is terrible. As has been stated before he compiles his stats in garbage time. When the pressure is on to lead his team he disappears and if you watch the players walk off the field you can see the disenchantment in their body language and facial expressions.

What bothers me is MOS. He shows no emotion say at the end of the first half last game where the cameras caught him swearing at someone. His team in fact have taken his nonchalant manner and show little or no emotion hence a "what the heck I messed up there but that's okay" attitude. Now I'm sure they don't really feel that way but it sure looks like it. Further to MOS he is stubborn and will not sit a non effective QB to not only give him a different perspective but also perhaps to give the offense a much needed boost. I told those who watched the game with me that regardless of Willy's performance, he will remain in the game till the end. How sad a mere fan can read a professional coach so easy. And finally on MOS he doesn't understand how to build momentum for his team. They hire the most accurate kicker in CFL history and he fails to give him not one but two opportunities to put points on the board. Oh and yes Will took part in that second take away due to his lack of clock awareness. That does not build confidence or momentum and the other coach and team just smile.

Football is a violent game, an emotional game, and one that has to be played that way. When you come up short instead of simply walking of the field you should be stomping off the field really p..... that you didn't get it done and will make damn sure next time we will! I frankly don't see that in the Bombers.

I will say I feel sorry for LaPo as I'm sure he came here thinking with all the talent I have at my disposal, all my "new" offensive schemes should be a slam dunk. Little did he realize that he didn't have a QB who could throw for more than 5 yards. Little did he realize that his QB doesn't have any game sense or presence.

These last two performances simply confirm not renewing my season tickets was the best saving I ever made. I will still cheer but will be less invested in a country club loser atmosphere that has become the Bombers.

If I recall correctly, defence and ST scored needed points in 3 of those games in early 2014 via kick returns or I/Cs for TDs. Those points were crucial since if we had relied on the O to score enough points to win - we'd have lost.  Not all of those 6 - 7 wins (so long ago now) can be attributed to great achievement at the QB position. Bombers got a treat as D and ST provided much-needed scoring - C. Randle and Demond  W were outstanding.

14 hours ago, Throw Long Bannatyne said:

I think it's too early to blame LaPo in all of this, for the most part the play calling looks good.  When Willy executes the plays work well, but too often he gives up on the designed play quickly and either throws a check down to Harris standing 3 yards away or takes off up field in his best impersonation of Justin Goltz.

You know what I hate about Lapo and always have? He's big on getting 5 or 7 yards passing on first down and then running the ball on 2nd. Saw it against Calgary too, with predictable results. Defence blows up the OL and we get maybe a yard out of it and punt. 

16 minutes ago, 17to85 said:

You know what I hate about Lapo and always have? He's big on getting 5 or 7 yards passing on first down and then running the ball on 2nd. Saw it against Calgary too, with predictable results. Defence blows up the OL and we get maybe a yard out of it and punt. 

it's uncanny but I can't see any noticeable difference between Lapos and Bellefeuilles offence from last year.  

13 hours ago, Old Bomber Fan said:

And while he is running is oblivious to the time clock ticking down to negate a field goal and 3 point opportunity!

I thought the refs kind of screwed us there.  Harris got out of bounds but the clock kept running for some reason.  That didn't make any sense to me.

1 minute ago, kelownabomberfan said:

I thought the refs kind of screwed us there.  Harris got out of bounds but the clock kept running for some reason.  That didn't make any sense to me.

I don't think it did, the clock was stopped at 12 secs. after the first Harris play, then started again when the ref. blew in the next play but Willy wasted 3-4 secs. before snapping the ball.  If Harris would have dropped immediately after the next completion they might have had 2-3 secs. for the FG.

1 minute ago, Throw Long Bannatyne said:

I don't think it did, the clock was stopped at 12 secs. after the first Harris play, then started again when the ref. blew in the next play but Willy wasted 3-4 secs. before snapping the ball.  If Harris would have dropped immediately after the next completion they might have had 2-3 secs. for the FG.

That was part of  Osh's excuse about the clock mismanagement on the last play of the 1st half.  He said that they thought Harris got out of bounds and that the clock wouldn't start until  the snap of the ball.  However, the ref was quite clear in his call that Harris didn't get out of bounds on the play.

However, the coaches on the sidelines or the spotters up stairs must be communicating with Osh and letting him know.   I wont lay the blame solely on Osh as there are half a dozen other coaches that need to be aware of whats going on. 

1 minute ago, kelownabomberfan said:

ok then Rod Black lied to me (or was it Chris Cuthbert) as they said that Harris made it out of bounds.

yeah there was no chance it was out of bounds from my seat in the stands. Clock was running and by the time they decided to A) throw the ball and B ) Harris went down the clock was empty on the final play. 

52 minutes ago, B-F-F-C said:

That was part of  Osh's excuse about the clock mismanagement on the last play of the 1st half.  He said that they thought Harris got out of bounds and that the clock wouldn't start until  the snap of the ball.  However, the ref was quite clear in his call that Harris didn't get out of bounds on the play.

However, the coaches on the sidelines or the spotters up stairs must be communicating with Osh and letting him know.   I wont lay the blame solely on Osh as there are half a dozen other coaches that need to be aware of whats going on. 

It was all hilariously stupid in the first place, whether Medlock kicks from the 50 or from the 40 makes little difference but when putting on a comedy of errors, the play must end with a hearty laugh.

They lost the TO on a failed challenge, so no, they wouldn't have had one. It just pretty much sums up what is wrong with the team, they don't look like they have their heads in the game to the extent that is needed to be a consistent winner. The devil is the details, right.

On 02/07/2016 at 5:11 PM, wbbfan said:

its 100% true. Production does not mean one qb is better or worse then the other. Right now willy is 2nd in the league in passing. But our off passing or other wise is worst in the league. Collaros was good last year. Not mvp good. Collaros has only dressed for 18 games once, and that was with being the back up at the start of 2013. Him and glenn are higher quality players, who cant stay healthy to save their life. Ability to be on the field is a major limiting factor. 2 guys you cant rely on as starters. 

Are we thinking of the same Kevin Glenn?... prior to last year's season ending injury this how many games he played in his previous 11 seasons: 18, 15, 16, 18, 18, 18, 18, 18, 18, 18, 18... outside of last year's injury and the 2007 grey cup he's mostly been healthy his entire career...