general trade thread to spit ball ideas

Ducky

4 minutes ago, Ducky said:

why?

You wouldn't even get Drouin by himself for Lemieux and Petan.

You can't make up quality with volume.

Drouin is a top 6, likely top 3 forward.

Lemieux is a bottom 6.  Petan is likely a 2nd / 3rd line type guy or he is bust in the NHL.  Low likelihood of him becoming a top line player.

Or look at it this way since all of these guys are relatively early in their careers, so who knows where they are going.

Would you trade the 3rd overall pick (think our pick this year with Laine) for two 2nd round picks?

Because that is what you are proposing.

2 minutes ago, Ducky said:

They'd also be dumping a 5.5m per year contract for the next two year's.

I know they wouldn't get drouin for those two alone but they are opening up 5.5m on the Bolts's capspace.

Then why is that the trade you proposed?

They aren't going to trade their top prospect who is just maturing into a player now as a throw in to dump cap, regardless of the disputes they've had over the last year.

Because opening up 5.5m of capspace and picking up 2 young players for a problem might be worth it. Drouin isn't the add toa dump, the dump is the add to make it worthwhile for the Bolts.

It would also help them re-sign Stamkos if that is what they are trying to do.

2 minutes ago, Ducky said:

Because opening up 5.5m of capspace and picking up 2 young players for a problem might be worth it. Drouin isn't the add toa dump, the dump is the add to make it worthwhile for the Bolts.

It would also help them re-sign Stamkos if that is what they are trying to do.

That doesn't at all make it worthwhile to them.  The trade makes absolutely no sense for the Bolts.

Yzerman is fired, never to work again as a GM, if he makes that deal.

I usually stay out of this thread, because for the most part it is pie in the sky whatever discussion, but this is honestly one of the most out there proposals I’ve seen.

Your premise is that Tampa would do this so they can re-sign Stamkos with the cap space they would realize after the trade.  That isn’t true.

I’m willing to bet he is asking for $10M per to be in line with the most recent super star contracts out there.  That price is either too high for them, regardless of what cap space is cleared, or Stamkos really just want to go to Toronto.

Also, trading a $5M defenseman doesn’t clear $5M in cap space.  They still need to replace that roster spot.  We didn’t give them a D back to do that in your trade, so at best you only net a couple of million overall to get Stamkos signed.

The bottom line is, if they want to get rid of Carle to free up cap space to sign Stamkos, you trade Carle for draft picks.  Or you bury him in the minors and eat the salary if there are no takers.

You do not trade a 3rd overall draft pick, who is an RFA you control for the next 6 years and very cheap right now for what he can contribute, to do it.  That makes the least sense for a team with cap problems.

And to boot, Carle has a NTC, so would he even want to go to Winnipeg?

The situation is not at all the same.  Tampa Bay isn't in the same contract hell as Chicago.  

Chicago HAS to dump salary to even have a remote chance of getting the minimum roster requirements under the cap.  And they probably still very well have to dump more.

Tampa Bay doesn't HAVE to dump any salary.  They could choose to if they wanted to sign Stamkos to a ridiculously huge salary.  But that would mean not only do they have to move Drouin today (in your proposal), but likely some of their younger players about to move into larger salaries.

It is all about leverage.  Chicago has none because everyone knows the situation they are in and they absolutely have to do something.  Tampa Bay still has lots of options and flexibility in how they structure their upcoming contract renewals to work around Carle's contract for two years.   They can pick and choose who they want to move and get better market value for whoever they have to trade.

I think Carle is the next salary dump trade we see.

Judging by that trade, Lemieux and Petan are too much for Drouin.

The Bolts are in tough with their upcoming RFAs this year. They have 6 or 7 RFAs that need to be dealt with this off-season. Kucerov and Killorn will want serious raises. Then there's Stamkos. I wouldn't re-sign him if I were them (I would for about 6.5m per x 6 years)) but I think Yzerman will go after him hard.

I thought this was one of my least far-fetched trades yet...