2016 Playoffs

Ducky

3 hours ago, Brandon said:

Lol I can't wait to listen to politically correct trash talk.

So I assume Unknown Poster will call out any Blue fans for suggesting that Rider fans like to inbreed or fornicate with animals?

Because those are equally hurtful words are they not?

Brandon, if you really believe this, neither I nor anyone will be able to explain to you the difference.  But you keep thinking that slur is acceptable in 2016.  

10 minutes ago, The Unknown Poster said:

Brandon, if you really believe this, neither I nor anyone will be able to explain to you the difference.  But you keep thinking that slur is acceptable in 2016.  

So if I called you an inbreeding horse f****** that's ok?    Calling someone that would be acceptable?

Seems like such a double standard to me.

Edited by Brandon

5 minutes ago, Brandon said:

So if I called you an inbreeding horse f****** that's ok?    Calling someone that would be acceptable?

Seems like such a double standard to me.

You don't know the difference between a horse f***** and a ******????

Do you know the different ce between an insult and a slur?  If not, trust me, there is a difference.  You realize you're wrong, right?  Like the guy was suspended.  Articles, stories, overwhelming against the use of this slur.  If you feel being gay is wrong and sluring gays is okay, then so be it.  But please don't pretend that using slurs is ok.  Like really.  2016.

Edited by The Unknown Poster

1 hour ago, The Unknown Poster said:

You don't know the difference between a horse f***** and a ******????

Do you know the different ce between an insult and a slur?  If not, trust me, there is a difference.  You realize you're wrong, right?  Like the guy was suspended.  Articles, stories, overwhelming against the use of this slur.  If you feel being gay is wrong and sluring gays is okay, then so be it.  But please don't pretend that using slurs is ok.  Like really.  2016.

So i can call you a horse fornicator... but if I called you a horse fornicator that only fornicates with male horses then that is bad? 

Same goes with I were to say you sleep with your Aunt that is cool... but if I suggest that you sleep with your uncle then that's bad?   

I find you very funny and you remind me of the college students that Triumph the Insult Comic Dog talked with in regards to safe space..... 

1 minute ago, Brandon said:

So i can call you a horse fornicator... but if I called you a horse fornicator that only fornicates with male horses then that is bad? 

Same goes with I were to say you sleep with your Aunt that is cool... but if I suggest that you sleep with your uncle then that's bad?   

I find you very funny and you remind me of the college students that Triumph the Insult Comic Dog talked with in regards to safe space..... 

Again, you simply seem incapable of comprehending the difference between an insult and a slur.  Do you feel using the N word is okay?  Do you have an issue with homosexuals (I ask because that would explain your barrier to understanding here)?

Even Shaw himself apologized and admitted he was wrong.  Would you argue with him that he should keep using the slur?

Do you acknowledge that its a slur?  Are you being obtuse on purpose?

1 minute ago, Brandon said:

Ok you are right, you always are right TUP you can never be wrong!    

I had a long reply but decided it wasn't worth it.  No reason for me to argue the majority position with the one person who doesn't get it.  So Ill accept your statement.  But Ill add that Im often wrong about things and don't mind admitting it.  But Im not wrong about this.

You know what I find offensive? Dennis Wideman cowardly nails a ref from behind & gives him a season ending concussion, then the NHLPA & the NHL pussyfoot around with an arbitration process that lasts the whole damned suspension & neither the NHL or NHLPA  cares about the health of the ref or his family that Wideman injured. That's offensive. The stuff with Shaw is all political correctness.

Edited by iso_55

14 minutes ago, iso_55 said:

You know what I find offensive? Dennis Wideman cowardly nails a ref from behind & gives him a season ending concussion, then the NHLPA & the NHL pussyfoot around with an arbitration process that lasts the whole damned suspension & neither the NHL or NHLPA  cares about the health of the ref or his family that Wideman injured. That's offensive. The stuff with Shaw is all political correctness.

One has nothing to do with the other. 

Political correctness. Good God. Shameful  

11 minutes ago, The Unknown Poster said:

One has nothing to do with the other. 

Political correctness. Good God. Shameful  

One has a lot to do with the other. It IS political correctness. Just like the enviromaniacs in the NDP that would shut down our resource sector there are people who absolutely live for this stuff & will wait until a transgression is made & jump all over any public figure or athlete who screws up in a bad moment. They'll absolutely crucify them on social media or in the mainstream media & call them names, question their character & even make threats. We talk about bullying being a scourge on society well to me, this is another form of bullying. We are supposed to have freedom of speech in this country but only if it adheres to certain opinion of certain segments of society. That's what bothers me about this whole situation. I don't condone what Andrew Shaw said as it was a stupid thing to say but it's been blown way out of proportion.

5 hours ago, iso_55 said:

One has a lot to do with the other. It IS political correctness. Just like the enviromaniacs in the NDP that would shut down our resource sector there are people who absolutely live for this stuff & will wait until a transgression is made & jump all over any public figure or athlete who screws up in a bad moment. They'll absolutely crucify them on social media or in the mainstream media & call them names, question their character & even make threats. We talk about bullying being a scourge on society well to me, this is another form of bullying. We are supposed to have freedom of speech in this country but only if it adheres to certain opinion of certain segments of society. That's what bothers me about this whole situation. I don't condone what Andrew Shaw said as it was a stupid thing to say but it's been blown way out of proportion.

Firstly, the Wideman incident has nothing to do with this.  There is no comparison.  Please explain how you draw a connection between the two.

Secondly, Im trying to determine the best way to word this without being disrespectful.  It's difficult.  You're saying it is bullying to be critical of someone using this slur.  *sigh*. 

Let me preface this by saying that I acknowledge I can't change your mind.  I cant make you understand.  Those that hold on to prejudices or use of offensive slurs arent likely to change until they want to.  Having said that, Iso, I know you're a smart guy.  I know Brandon is too.  So I think the thing that surprises me is that you dont seem to accept the fact that the word is a slur.  That part isnt a debate.  Sure, some people might use the N word and argue they should be allowed to and the N word is just a word and if not for pesky over-sensitive PC'ers taking away all our fun, everyone would use it.  We dont give serious consideration to those people for obvious and correct reasons.

This word is a slur that is used in a condescending, demeaning way.  It causes pain and anguish.  It propagates and promotes hate.  There was a time when the word was used more often.  But we are more enlightened now. 

If you have ever had a gay person in your life and seen the pain it causes them to be the victim of hate and prejudice, the pain it causes to be called this word, perhaps you'd have more empathy for the human rights struggle that is still being waged.

When everyone tells you something is wrong, there is a good chance it is wrong. 

If a child read about the Shaw incident and went to his parents and asked why the word was wrong and what it means, I would hope those parents would explain that its a hateful word used to demean a group of people based on sexual orientation.  Shaw knows it was wrong.  Why do you still think its ok.  Its not political correctness.  It's right vs wrong. 

What Shaw did has not been blown out of proportion at all.  In fact, I think the response has been very proportionate.  And I think the vast majority of people reacting, including the NHL and Shaw have done so admirably and correctly. 

If you have an issue with gays, I cant convince you to change your mind.  And honestly, thats a debate for another time anyway.  What isnt in question is the word used is simply not an insult.  Its a hateful slur.  If you can accept and admit that, then you understand.  If you dont believe the word is a slur and is fine to use, then it probably speaks to something deeper within you that no one here is really qualified to help you with.

13 hours ago, Brandon said:

Lol I can't wait to listen to politically correct trash talk.

So I assume Unknown Poster will call out any Blue fans for suggesting that Rider fans like to inbreed or fornicate with animals?

Because those are equally hurtful words are they not?

Most overused and very often times misinterpreted term.

For some, their disdain for being 'politically correct' is the fact they get called on saying really stupid misguided hurftul untrue unfunny things.

One of the best ways I've seen how this point is driven home is how would one define politically correct in a non politically correct way?  

2 hours ago, HardCoreBlue said:

One of the best ways I've seen how this point is driven home is how would one define politically correct in a non politically correct way?  

• A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

16 minutes ago, kelownabomberfan said:
  • A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

Wow, I rest my case your honour. 

16 minutes ago, kelownabomberfan said:

Didn't LA come back from a 3-0 deficit a few years ago?  I only remember that because I took a whole bunch of Sharks and was rubbing it in to everyone else in my pool how dumb they were for picking Kings.  I forgot the power of suck that is Joe Thornton in the playoffs.

Yes, against the Sharks.  So they will feel they can do it again and the Sharks will have it in the back of their minds.  Probably important for Sharks to win the next game lest they psyche themselves out.

Philly also game back down 3-0 not long ago, didnt they?  Cant see it happening against the Caps but I would LOL

7 hours ago, sweep the leg said:

Hate speech is not included in freedom of speech. Homophobic slurs are considered hate speech.

No, in  today's world you don't have freedom of speech. I consider myself a MOR kind of guy when it comes to things like this. I just hate the piling on of people in social media whenever they get an opportunity.