2016 Playoffs

Ducky

It's not so much about political correctness. It's more about society turning in to easily offended individuals. Man. Could you imagine if a George Carlin was around these days. People would hate him. Society around the early 2000s became a lot more... I can't say the word but let's just say meowifed.

Sometime around the early 2000s people just... I dunno. It's not even worth it. Vocal minority these days.

Sticks and stones may break my bones but names will never hurt me. I guess these days people would rather be hurt by sticks and stones. 

I don't know how any straight male could be offended by this stuff tho. 

Edited by Goalie

1 minute ago, Goalie said:

It's not so much about political correctness. It's more about society turning in to easily offended individuals. Man. Could you imagine if a George Carlin was around these days. People would hate him. Society around the early 2000s became a lot more... I can't say the word but let's just say meowifed 

And this is directed to those that understand the word used by Shaw is offensive?

Just because someone could say a word in the 60's or 80's doesn't mean its some sort of affront to your freedom of expression for that word to be considered a slur today.  Gays just earned the right to marry in the US.  in 2015.  And we;'re debating the use of this word?  You guys need to give your heads a shake.

No one taking this position wants to answer the questions.  Do you think the N word is also acceptable?  Do you have a problem with homosexuals?  Because the answers to those questions will speak volumes about the people that are seemingly running uphill to argue that this particular word isn't offensive.  It IS offensive.  It IS a slur.  It IS hate speech.  No its not PC run amok.  No its not over sensitive *******.  In fact its the opposite.  Those that don't see that are ignorant bigots.  And I imagine should you have kids and one or more are gay, you're opinion will change.

7 hours ago, The Unknown Poster said:

Firstly, the Wideman incident has nothing to do with this.  There is no comparison.  Please explain how you draw a connection between the two.

Secondly, Im trying to determine the best way to word this without being disrespectful.  It's difficult.  You're saying it is bullying to be critical of someone using this slur.  *sigh*. 

Let me preface this by saying that I acknowledge I can't change your mind.  I cant make you understand.  Those that hold on to prejudices or use of offensive slurs arent likely to change until they want to.  Having said that, Iso, I know you're a smart guy.  I know Brandon is too.  So I think the thing that surprises me is that you dont seem to accept the fact that the word is a slur.  That part isnt a debate.  Sure, some people might use the N word and argue they should be allowed to and the N word is just a word and if not for pesky over-sensitive PC'ers taking away all our fun, everyone would use it.  We dont give serious consideration to those people for obvious and correct reasons.

This word is a slur that is used in a condescending, demeaning way.  It causes pain and anguish.  It propagates and promotes hate.  There was a time when the word was used more often.  But we are more enlightened now. 

If you have ever had a gay person in your life and seen the pain it causes them to be the victim of hate and prejudice, the pain it causes to be called this word, perhaps you'd have more empathy for the human rights struggle that is still being waged.

When everyone tells you something is wrong, there is a good chance it is wrong. 

If a child read about the Shaw incident and went to his parents and asked why the word was wrong and what it means, I would hope those parents would explain that its a hateful word used to demean a group of people based on sexual orientation.  Shaw knows it was wrong.  Why do you still think its ok.  Its not political correctness.  It's right vs wrong. 

What Shaw did has not been blown out of proportion at all.  In fact, I think the response has been very proportionate.  And I think the vast majority of people reacting, including the NHL and Shaw have done so admirably and correctly. 

If you have an issue with gays, I cant convince you to change your mind.  And honestly, thats a debate for another time anyway.  What isnt in question is the word used is simply not an insult.  Its a hateful slur.  If you can accept and admit that, then you understand.  If you dont believe the word is a slur and is fine to use, then it probably speaks to something deeper within you that no one here is really qualified to help you with.

I don't have any issues with gays. None at all. I have an issue with people being piled on by others on social media when they make a mistake. You'd think he shot someone dead in cold blood. The guy effed up, What he said was stupid. He was penalized by the NHL monetarily & by sitting a game. The guy has been shamed publicly so let it go . I don't like what I'd describe as bullying by people on social media. They're just waiting to pounce on the first person who screws up. That's all.

8 minutes ago, iso_55 said:

No, in  today's world you don't have freedom of speech. I consider myself a MOR kind of guy when it comes to things like this. I just hate the piling on of people in social media whenever they get an opportunity.

You miss the good old days when we could be bigots, use hate speech and maybe lynch someone without twitter getting involved?

5 minutes ago, iso_55 said:

I don't have any issues with gays. None at all. I have an issue with people being piled on by others on social media when they make a mistake. You'd think he shot someone dead in cold blood. The guy effed up, What he said was stupid. He was penalized by the NHL monetarily & by sitting a game. The guy has been shamed publicly so let it go . I don't like what I'd describe as bullying by people on social media. They're just waiting to pounce on the first person who screws up. That's all.

Im not seeing that at all.  Do you mean you don't like us discussing a serious issue and event that happened in the immediate aftermath of it?

That is the world we live in.  That is why twitter and other forms of instant news exist.  I don't see your argument that its piling on or bullying.  Its not bullying to express a correct opinion about someone using a slur.

As I said earlier, I thought the NHL and Shaw handled it very well and very professionally and everything I've seen online and heard or watches is in support of that position.  The fact it was major news would certainly deem it appropriate to discuss.  But oddly enough, you don't want it discussed but yet take part in the discussion.  We can't put the genie back in the bottle in regards to social media or instant news.

EDIT: Im sure there ARE losers online that are going over board but realistically those people will exist for any thing.  You could post good morning and someone will take exception.  But we're not discussing the extreme goofballs.  We're discussing use of the word and your position that its acceptable if not for the PC'ers taking all our fun words away.  If it hurts a group of people, isn't that reason enough to reconsider its use?

Edited by The Unknown Poster

I'm talking about it because you're writing 5,000 word essays about it on every post. You seem more offended by this than most here. The guy effed up. He was dealt with & the story has been put to bed. Why do you feel you have to fall on your sword every time something like this happens?

Edited by iso_55

8 minutes ago, The Unknown Poster said:

Good God Goalie, the voice of the bigoted.

I don't hate gays or blacks or anyone. But you are being pretty offensive here. I'm done tho. Cuz reality is you won't stop until you hear these words so here you go....

You are right. Everyone who disagrees with you is wrong. 

But quite frankly... you're coming across as being quite the ******* right now.

I don't get offended so I'm a bigot. Yup. 

Edited by Goalie

Just now, Goalie said:

I don't hate gays or blacks or anyone. But you are being pretty offensive here. I'm done tho. Cuz reality is you won't stop until you hear these words so here you go....

You are right. Everyone who disagrees with you is wrong. 

I am being offensive?  lol  Thats a new one.

Yes Goalie, you're right.  You have a habit of insulting people who disagree with you here.  I often agree with you so I don't really care because those you routinely fight with give as good as they get and I enjoy both sides of most debates. 

But here's a newsflash.  I am not always right.  I am absolutely right (as is the vast majority) on this issue.  You ARE absolutely wrong.  So I accept your tap out.  The word is a slur.  Period.  There is no argument in favour of it.  Goodbye.

5 minutes ago, iso_55 said:

I'm talking about it because you're writing 5,000 word essays about it on every post. You seem more offended by this than most here. The guy effed up. He was dealt with & the story has been put to bed. Why do you feel you have to fall on your sword every time something like this happens?

How is it falling on my sword?  And why am I not allowed to provide my opinion but you are?  Yes, I am offended when people express a bigoted opinion that promotes hate.  Call me crazy.  The word is a slur.  We don't argue over the N bomb but it amazes me in 2016 anyone would feel there is an argument to be made over this word.  My best friend spent 36 years in the closet because he grew up in an era when this word and others were "acceptable".  So does it offend me?  Yes.  

22 minutes ago, Goalie said:

It's not so much about political correctness. It's more about society turning in to easily offended individuals. Man. Could you imagine if a George Carlin was around these days. People would hate him. Society around the early 2000s became a lot more... I can't say the word but let's just say meowifed.

Sometime around the early 2000s people just... I dunno. It's not even worth it. Vocal minority these days.

Imagine this movie being made today...

GAPAdd.jpg

Can you spot the racism in this ad?  Gap couldn't.  Nobody could.  Yet a bunch of idiots on Twitter went insane and the Gap had to take it down and apologize.  Those two girls in the middle are actually sisters.  But somehow it was racist.  They now call this phenomenon a "Twitch Hunt".

Just now, The Unknown Poster said:

How is it falling on my sword?  And why am I not allowed to provide my opinion but you are?  Yes, I am offended when people express a bigoted opinion that promotes hate.  Call me crazy.  The word is a slur.  We don't argue over the N bomb but it amazes me in 2016 anyone would feel there is an argument to be made over this word.  My best friend spent 36 years in the closet because he grew up in an era when this word and others were "acceptable".  So does it offend me?  Yes.  

You're over the top here. You paint people like me as bigoted & hateful while loudly proclaiming you're the one who is right. It was a slur, everybody agrees but Shaw is not an axe murderer. Yet you are over the top offended.

Just now, kelownabomberfan said:

GAPAdd.jpg

Can you spot the racism in this ad?  Gap couldn't.  Nobody could.  Yet a bunch of idiots on Twitter went insane and the Gap had to take it down and apologize.  Those two girls in the middle are actually sisters.  But somehow it was racist.  They now call this phenomenon a "Twitch Hunt".

Your post is interesting but has nothing to do with the topic.  People over reacting to stupid things has nothing to do with the use of a gay slur.

Just now, The Unknown Poster said:

Your post is interesting but has nothing to do with the topic.  People over reacting to stupid things has nothing to do with the use of a gay slur.

Thanks.  I am still trying to figure out how any of this discussion has anything to do with the topic.

1 minute ago, iso_55 said:

You're over the top here. You paint people like me as bigoted & hateful while loudly proclaiming you're the one who is right. It was a slur, everybody agrees but Shaw is not an axe murderer. Yet you are over the top offended.

Iso, while I appreciate your backtracking, why would I or anyone else engage in a discussion where I accept your perspective on the acceptance of a gay slur?  Im not being over the top to say it is 100% unacceptable.  I posted some time ago my thoughts on  how the NHL and Shaw handled it.  You turned it into a discussion on political correctness which was not the issue at all.  My offence comes not from Shaw because I think he handled it professionally and sincerely.  My offence is from you and Goalie trying to argue that the word is acceptable and if not for sensitive PC'ers getting their panties in a knot over nothing, we could use the word and live happily ever after.

I apologize if I came across over the top.  Not my intent.  I just have a hard time understanding why there would even be a discussion along those lines. I think the suspension is appropriate.  And Shaw's response was too.  And the articles written about it are contributing to educating the masses to the hurt that comes with using words that cause pain and perpetuate hate.  I don't think Shaw is a homophobe.  So no, Im not advocating for treating him like an axe murderer. 

3 minutes ago, The Unknown Poster said:

Iso, while I appreciate your backtracking, why would I or anyone else engage in a discussion where I accept your perspective on the acceptance of a gay slur?  Im not being over the top to say it is 100% unacceptable.  I posted some time ago my thoughts on  how the NHL and Shaw handled it.  You turned it into a discussion on political correctness which was not the issue at all.  My offence comes not from Shaw because I think he handled it professionally and sincerely.  My offence is from you and Goalie trying to argue that the word is acceptable and if not for sensitive PC'ers getting their panties in a knot over nothing, we could use the word and live happily ever after.

I apologize if I came across over the top.  Not my intent.  I just have a hard time understanding why there would even be a discussion along those lines. I think the suspension is appropriate.  And Shaw's response was too.  And the articles written about it are contributing to educating the masses to the hurt that comes with using words that cause pain and perpetuate hate.  I don't think Shaw is a homophobe.  So no, Im not advocating for treating him like an axe murderer. 

While I appreciate your apology, I never backtracked. I never said it was okay. I just think that there are bigger hills to climb when it comes to making society better than going after a lunkhead hockey player.

Edited by iso_55

1 minute ago, iso_55 said:

While I appreciate your apology, I never backtracked. I just think that there are bigger hills to climb when it comes to making society better than going after a lunkhead hockey player.

Well there is always a bigger issue.  But if you were a gay person today this would be a really big issue for you.  The reason Gary and others wrote their article is because they see the opportunity the NHL and the players have when something like this hits the mainstream in a big way.  The opportunities to be leaders and show positive role modelling.  

How many kids play hockey?  How many are gay or confused and closeted?  And are subjected to these words?  In the past it  might be black kids being called the N word or other racially motivated insults.  And we all agree that is unacceptable, right?  Its the same thing for gays.  It just is.  This is a human rights issue.  And because we didn't live through the civil rights era (most of us), maybe we don't understand.  We just accept it, we think its crazy that a time existed when blacks were considered sub human.  But we're living in an era where gays struggle every single day to be treated equally.

If your son was gay and subjected to slurs, you would be outraged I am sure.  People on here know who I am so I don't want to get too personally and speak on others behalf my a family member, a young family member just broke up with her gf and I've seen her struggle with being bullied for being "different".  And as I said,  my best friend has gone through it.  

We have yet to have an NHL player openly come out as gay.  And we can guess as to why that is.  It will happen eventually and it will be a positive thing for the struggle of the gay community.

For the record I don't think you or Goalie or Brandon or whomever are homophobes.  I don't know you guys well enough to say but I would always assume the best in people.  And Im glad the moderators have let this discussion go because i thinks a worthy discussion.  And again, I apologize if I over stepped.  But its near and dear to me.

1 minute ago, Taynted_Fayth said:

sooooo... 2 teams in jeopardy of getting knocked out tonight (Blackhawks and Detroit)  what exactly was the deal with chicago impacting that Ladd trade,  an early exit was good or bad for us?

Good for us.  Teams draft based on regular season record and order of elimination (I think, its confusing).  So all first round teams eliminated then draft in order of their records.  So whether Hawks get eliminated in four games or 7, its the highest possible draft pick for us.  If they advanced to the second round, it would be a worse pick.

So cheer for them to be eliminated!