Random News Items

Rich

11 minutes ago, FrostyWinnipeg said:

Can o worms time. How soon before TN/WBB donate an MRI in exchange for preferential treatment/?

I actually think it's a fair idea. $3miion for an MRI. So buy one and let the province use it for free. 

At the very least I'd like to think the athletes jumping the cue are paying (or their teams are) just as they work in a private clinic in the us 

7 minutes ago, FrostyWinnipeg said:

Couldn't happen to a nicer guy.  Although to be honest, I did enjoy his show when I saw it (I dont have FOX News in my cable package).  I did find his straight forward manner easy to watch.  But he was just smart enough to twist any subject to an anti-left, pro-right perspective regardless of reality.

My favorite segments were the ones involving Dennis Miller who I like a lot more.  As an aside, I liked Miller's answer when asked about how he can be a conservative and not oppose gay marriage and he basically said who cares and that gay marriage was 735th on his list of things to worry about (or some such number).

Anyway, the story is amusing in that it basically says FOX and O'Reilly mutually agree he should be fired...  It also relates an exhaustive investigation that led to this which is essentially FOX adding credence to the allegations that O'Reilly's people said just this week were 100% false.  So it will be interesting to see how he responds.  And whether any major news org or network hires him.  He's filthy rich (especially when your boss pays your settlement fees) so he doesnt have to work.  But I suspect he will end up on an alt-right source.

On another note, has anyone read any of his books?  They intrigue me and I've considered ordering one to try it out (Killing Kennedy, Killing Lincoln etc).

20 hours ago, The Unknown Poster said:

this is interesting for those who can't get past the paywall between 2008 and 2016 there were 92 cases of preferential treatment. Of those 59 were jets or Bombers. 

Obviously a pro sports team isn't waiting a year for an MRI. Health minister is asking other jurisdictions how they handle athletes. 

I don't know what an MRI machine costs but how about the Jets and bombers buy a machine and gift it to the province in exchange for access as needed. 

It says 92 "instances of potential preferential treatment.". It was a pretty flawed report. The AG had no information on why these people were getting a MRI or any other circumstances. 

And once again Wiecek gets it wrong. There is no evidence that the Jets or Bombers players jumped the queue. 

Edited by Jacquie

15 hours ago, The Unknown Poster said:

I actually think it's a fair idea. $3miion for an MRI. So buy one and let the province use it for free. 

At the very least I'd like to think the athletes jumping the cue are paying (or their teams are) just as they work in a private clinic in the us 

From a CBC article:

Wright noted that professional sports teams such as the Jets pay a fee for uninsured out-of-province athletes to get tests such as MRIs. The fee is "substantially more" than the cost to do the MRI, he said.

"That extra fee that they pay does not buy them preferred access," Wright added.

1 minute ago, Jacquie said:

It says 92 "instances of potential preferential treatment.". It was a pretty flawed report. The AG had no information on why these people were getting a MRI or any other circumstances. 

And once again Wiecek gets it wrong. There is no evidence that the Jets or Bombers players jumped the queue. 

If you get hurt today and need an MRI, you dont get it tomorrow.  If Bryan Little blows out his knee tonight, he's had his MRI by breakfast tomorrow.  The idea athletes dont get to the top of the list is probably naive.  But whether its a horrible thing, we dont know.  Does the team pay fair market value for it (rather then bill it to Manitoba Health)? 

Im not sure there would be an overwhelming amount of people who would be THAT angry that pro athletes, given the nature of their business, get in right away.  Sure some will be mad.  But again, if you're MRI is scheduled for 10 months from now, Bryan Little getting an MRI tomorrow isnt the reason you have to wait 10 months.

But I do agree, given the horrible wait times here, the optics are bad.  $3mm for an MRI machine is chump change to True North.  Then again its chump change to the Province too so why dont we have more machines?

3 minutes ago, Jacquie said:

From a CBC article:

You cant really be arguing that an athlete who gets his MRI hours after an injury compared to the average wait time for everyone else isnt getting preferential treatment... It IS preferential.  I dont have a problem with it.  And if the team is paying a fee far larger that is going into health care, then whats the problem? 

Yes, it is the optics of two-tiered health care.  But the only people that are afraid of that are the ones who would rather everyone have lousy health care together.

Just now, The Unknown Poster said:

If you get hurt today and need an MRI, you dont get it tomorrow.  If Bryan Little blows out his knee tonight, he's had his MRI by breakfast tomorrow.  The idea athletes dont get to the top of the list is probably naive.  But whether its a horrible thing, we dont know.  Does the team pay fair market value for it (rather then bill it to Manitoba Health)? 

Im not sure there would be an overwhelming amount of people who would be THAT angry that pro athletes, given the nature of their business, get in right away.  Sure some will be mad.  But again, if you're MRI is scheduled for 10 months from now, Bryan Little getting an MRI tomorrow isnt the reason you have to wait 10 months.

But I do agree, given the horrible wait times here, the optics are bad.  $3mm for an MRI machine is chump change to True North.  Then again its chump change to the Province too so why dont we have more machines?

How do you know? Every waiting list priortizes  the order people are on it based on the seriousness of the issue. Joe or Jane Public blows out a knee and he/she is going to get a MRI pretty damn quickly.

5 minutes ago, The Unknown Poster said:

Yeah at 5m for machine and setup why don't we? Need more hospital lotteries!

Now the other part of the story no one talking about are donors. Anyone have a problem with John Buhler & family getting a pass?

Edited by FrostyWinnipeg

1 minute ago, Jacquie said:

How do you know? Every waiting list priortizes  the order people are on it based on the seriousness of the issue. Joe or Jane Public blows out a knee and he/she is going to get a MRI pretty damn quickly.

Of everyone I know who has ever needed an MRI, they did not get one the next day.  Can you tell me one average Joe who got an MRI that quickly?  And better yet, that compared to a non-catastrophic NHL injury (lets not compare the worst case NHL injury to best case Average Joe) and say they are equal?  That if the Jets team doctor wanted Buff to have an MRI that he'd be told to come back next week because Uncle Norman needs one too?  I dont believe it.  Not for a second.

But if you know different, by all means, tell us.

3 minutes ago, FrostyWinnipeg said:

Yeah at 5m for machine and setup why don't we? Need more hospital lotteries!

Now the other part of the story no one talking about are donors. Anyone have a problem with John Buhler & family getting a pass?

Well...optics are bad.  But if a family donates significant money that has a direct benefit to a large number of average Manitobans, and without them having that sense of "relationship" they might otherwise not be inclined....nah, if a charitable person only donates to get preferred treatment, then screw em.

But we dont know if Rich Guy asks for special treatment of if Rich Guy is offered special treatment.  I'd hope its the latter and hope it stops. 

But if there are 20,000+ people waiting for MRI's and we're all hot and bothered over 92 POSSIBLE jumping of the line, Im not overly concerned.

Of everyone I know who has ever needed an MRI, they did not get one the next day.  Can you tell me one average Joe who got an MRI that quickly?  And better yet, that compared to a non-catastrophic NHL injury (lets not compare the worst case NHL injury to best case Average Joe) and say they are equal?  That if the Jets team doctor wanted Buff to have an MRI that he'd be told to come back next week because Uncle Norman needs one too?  I dont believe it.  Not for a second.

But if you know different, by all means, tell us.

That's exactly what's wrong with the report. There is no comparison of how long the average person with a similar or same need had to wait. The AG has said that he has no evidence that those named had sought out or were given preferential treatment. 

2 minutes ago, Jacquie said:

That's exactly what's wrong with the report. There is no comparison of how long the average person with a similar or same need had to wait. The AG has said that he has no evidence that those named had sought out or were given preferential treatment. 

But you are aware that we have an NHL team and when those players require MRI's they get them immediately right?  Are we to believe that every NHL injury is so severe that it requires emergency MRI's versus the general public?

Im just trying to apply common sense here.  I dont even have an issue with it at all.  But I think to suggest Jets players dont get MRI's whenever their team doctor asks for one is pretty naive.

1 minute ago, FrostyWinnipeg said:

This is one of the better discussions on here lately. At the least I think we're getting a new MRI out of it.

It might seem like they are buying their way ut of bad optics but True North donating an MRI would be very nice.  Basically buying their OWN MRI but allowing the public to use it.  Although, are they allowed to buy their own MRI?  If so, why cant I buy an MRI machine?  Sounds like I'd make a lot of money if there are 21,000 people waiting and many who go to the US.

But you are aware that we have an NHL team and when those players require MRI's they get them immediately right?  Are we to believe that every NHL injury is so severe that it requires emergency MRI's versus the general public?

Im just trying to apply common sense here.  I dont even have an issue with it at all.  But I think to suggest Jets players dont get MRI's whenever their team doctor asks for one is pretty naive.

What about the Bombers?  I imagine they are getting MRI's quickly as well.  But they don't have NHL cash to throw around...

1 minute ago, The Unknown Poster said:

Imagine Buff waiting that long...  You just werent hurt enough though I guess.

Of course, the Jets would just put a player on a plane and fly them to Minneapolis.

Much quicker and cheaper than buying the province an MRI machine, which would then have to be staffed and maintained.

6 minutes ago, The Unknown Poster said:

If a player gets an MRI immediately it's because it is necessary. The article said that 59 (former/current) Jets and Bombers received MRIs quickly. The AG's report covers the years 2008 to March 2016. That's an average of 7 players per year and there have been some pretty significant injuries over that time period that would justify a quick MRI.

4 minutes ago, JCon said:

Of course, the Jets would just put a player on a plane and fly them to Minneapolis.

Much quicker and cheaper than buying the province an MRI machine, which would then have to be staffed and maintained.

This goes off into a whole other discussion but if there are 20,000 people waiting for MRI's and they only cost $3mm, what the hell is wrong with the health care system.  Better yet, let a private business buy 5 of them and open up shop here.  Just have them work through the Province's own list.

1 minute ago, The Unknown Poster said:

This goes off into a whole other discussion but if there are 20,000 people waiting for MRI's and they only cost $3mm, what the hell is wrong with the health care system.  Better yet, let a private business buy 5 of them and open up shop here.  Just have them work through the Province's own list.

Pan Am Clinic is privately owned and has an MRI machine.