Jets Prospects

Ducky

48 minutes ago, Goalie said:

Not sure. But like I said it wouldn't surprise me to see a trade involving one or more of Lowry Stafford Armia. 

Sure hope so. Still too many FW's for roster spots available and a lottery-pick-worthy bottom defense pairing.  

5 minutes ago, Ducky said:

For those of you that think Connor doesn't start with the Jets, did you follow him at all last year? Do you realize he was nominated for the Hobey Baker Award as a freshman and should have won it?

Connor starts with the team.

And my feeling is that he can't beat out Ehlers, Laine and Perreault on the LW and they won't put him on the 4th.

I think the best thing for the Jets and Connor would be for him to start in the AHL.

However there is a rumour going around HFBoards that the Jets made a "deal" with Connor when he signed that he would play his first year in the NHL.  And of course he signed last year before we knew we were picking Laine, so if we did make such a deal, it would have been before we knew what the depth on the left hand side would look like.

According to the rumour, this is a common occurrence with the NCAA kids as a way to entice them to jump to the NHL.  Of course the NHL clubs don't want the prospects sitting in the NCAA for too long due to the limits on what contact / development they can have with the prospect and the loop hole that would let the prospect re-enter the draft if they aren't signed in time.

They apparently also made the same deal with Copp when he signed.  

The deal of course would not be enforceable by a contract or anything like that, but if you go back on the "handshake", you would have a tough time getting an agent to agree to the same thing next time.

37 minutes ago, Rich said:

I think the best thing for the Jets and Connor would be for him to start in the AHL.

However there is a rumour going around HFBoards that the Jets made a "deal" with Connor when he signed that he would play his first year in the NHL.  And of course he signed last year before we knew we were picking Laine, so if we did make such a deal, it would have been before we knew what the depth on the left hand side would look like.

According to the rumour, this is a common occurrence with the NCAA kids as a way to entice them to jump to the NHL.  Of course the NHL clubs don't want the prospects sitting in the NCAA for too long due to the limits on what contact / development they can have with the prospect and the loop hole that would let the prospect re-enter the draft if they aren't signed in time.

They apparently also made the same deal with Copp when he signed.  

The deal of course would not be enforceable by a contract or anything like that, but if you go back on the "handshake", you would have a tough time getting an agent to agree to the same thing next time.

Now that's interesting...!  Makes sense how Copp ended up on the roster too

2 hours ago, Rich said:

However there is a rumour going around HFBoards that the Jets made a "deal" with Connor when he signed that he would play his first year in the NHL. 

Not believe that for a second.

The fact that he led the NCAA in scoring by a mile and he was a freshman...

his speed is world class...

he has one hell of a one-timer and a good wrist shot...

Larkin and Eichel didn't do as well as Connor and they both started in the NHL...

who do you think makes the team?

17 minutes ago, Ducky said:

The fact that he led the NCAA in scoring by a mile and he was a freshman...

his speed is world class...

he has one hell of a one-timer and a good wrist shot...

Larkin and Eichel didn't do as well as Connor and they both started in the NHL...

who do you think makes the team?

The problem I have with that comparison is you are comparing what Eichel and Larkin did at 18 in the NCAA to what Connor did at 19 in the NCAA.  So while Connor was a freshman, he was a 19 year old freshman.

Only a year difference, but that year can be huge at that age in terms of physical and mental growth.  I wonder how much Eichel would have scored if he played in the NCAA last year.  That would be a fairer comparison.

They were all born the same year.  Eichel in October, Connor in December, and Larkin in July.

So for sure Connor is the youngest, but he is only 2 months younger than Eichel.

I also worry about Connor's size in the NHL.

Eichel - 6'2' 201

Larkin - 6'2' 190

Connor - 6'1' 177

Look at how Scheifele got pushed around in those early years when they kept sending him back down to Juniors and even in his first couple of years in the NHL.   Connor needs to put on some muscle and learn how to adjust and play his game against much faster and bigger competition.

They will probably keep him up for the 7 game "tryout" at the beginning of the season, but I'd like to see him with the Moose to develop and adjust to the pro game.

On 7/5/2016 at 7:55 PM, Ducky said:

For those of you that think Connor doesn't start with the Jets, did you follow him at all last year? Do you realize he was nominated for the Hobey Baker Award as a freshman and should have won it?

Who's Connor and what's the Hobey Baker Award? Frankly, it sounds made up.

He definitely needs to put on some weight but I don't see him being built like Scheif although he does have some lower body muscle in the legs.

Lots of players are smaller and do well. Do you know how big Mike Bossy was and look at the era he played in and before anyone starts I am not comparing Connor with Bossy (the best goal scorer of all time).

12 minutes ago, Ducky said:

He definitely needs to put on some weight but I don't see him being built like Scheif although he does have some lower body muscle in the legs.

Lots of players are smaller and do well. Do you know how big Mike Bossy was and look at the era he played in and before anyone starts I am not comparing Connor with Bossy (the best goal scorer of all time).

Not at all saying Connor won't be able to play or make it in the NHL.  But, smaller guys tend to need longer to develop before they make it.

With the stuff we have on the wings, no particular reason to rush this kid.   It's all about physical maturity......the nicely rounded skill set on O, is already there.   He can build up a head of steam with the Moose, then race down the track with the Jets.

....but if he is lights out at training camp, and can take a spot from the get-go (and it would have to be top 9 at worst), then more power to him.....

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Not sure where to put this but the future is in the heading so...

I am bored so I was looking at some of the Jets upcoming  seasons and how the salary will move/change. Chevy is a shrewd GM and I like how he has the team built and on a low overall salary. That will change but not just yet. The Jets have 7.713m coming off of the books in 2017-2018 with Thorbs, Strait, Postma, Staf and Peluso all UFAs that probably won't be re-signed. Here is a list of our RFAs that year and what their AAV is for their current contract.

Burmi 1.55

Copp .925

Dano .925

Tanev .874

Chiarot .850

Kosmo .720

Helle .668

Kichton .600

Olsen .616

Helle should get a nice raise and you would hope Tanev and Copp and Dano and even Burmi will earn a bit of a raise but if there are no other changes, our overall salary might actually drop.

The following season has the following as RFAs and some will get healthy raises. Ehlers Armia Lowry Morrissey Petan Kostalek Phillips Lodge Comrie Mechiori and Blomqvist . But we have Hutch Mathias Enstrom Stuart and Little as UFAs so I don't see the overall salary taking a large jump at all if any. Little should get a raise if he is re-signed but any of the others will sign for less if they are re-signed. Chevy has planned things very well.

The following year he will be tested. UFAs are Wheeler and Myers and the RFAs are Connor, Laine, Roslovic, Lemieux, Nogier and De Leo. It will take big bucks to keep Wheeler, and Myers while giving Laine, Connor, Lemieux and Roslovic raises. I am guessing the cap will be higher by then though. Chevy is doing an outstanding job with the overall salary and talent.

sidenotes...we are at about 64.411m and let's say for sake of argument that Trouba gets 5.6m per year. That puts us at 70m but actually under because that 64.411m is with too many contract accounted for so let's say 68m for an overall salary. Not too shabby and leaves room in case of injury or if he wants to go after a highly paid player or whatever.....Lipon hasn't signed yet and has probably seen the writing on the wall so I guess he is holding out for more AHL money...the Moose should have some really good players this year.

• 4 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Ducky said:

3. Winnipeg Jets
Previous rank: 6

The depth in the Jets' system is a little thinner than in past years, in part due to a lot of recent graduations. The system remains elite however, primarily due to the selection of Patrik Laine, and the fantastic progression of Kyle Connor, their top pick from 2015. Top picks like Josh Morrissey and Jack Roslovic have developed fine but not perfectly. However, positive progression from Chase De Leo and Erik Foley counterbalances that somewhat.

Foley's a new name.  Won't show up until 2017 and even then who knows.