Boycott Beyonce

The Unknown Poster

(CNN)A planned anti-Beyonce rally is being countered with calls for the singer's supporters to get in "Formation."

Those in support of #BoycottBeyonce are being asked to gather outside the headquarters of the National Football League in New York City at 8 a.m. on February 16, according to a posting on Eventbrite.

"Are you offended as an American that Beyoncé pulled her race-baiting stunt at the Superbowl?" the invitation asks. "Do you agree that it was a slap in the face to law enforcement?"

"Come and let's stand together," the notice says. "Let's tell the NFL we don't want hate speech & racism at the Superbowl ever again!"

But that invitation sparked a call for a counterprotest, asking Beyonce supporters to also show up.

"When Black women affirm Blackness/Black womanhood, they are attacked and silenced," says the posting, which invites women to dress in outfits inspired by the "Formation" video or the Super Bowl performance. "This is a counter protest to ... a racist, ahistorical attack on the Black Panther Party and Beyonce, plus an excuse to celebrate a very awesome song and #BlackGirlMagic moment."

The controversy began when the singer dropped her music video for her song "Formation" on Saturday.

In the song Beyonce speaks of her heritage with lyrics such as "My daddy Alabama/ Momma Louisiana/ You mix that ***** with that Creole/ Make a Texas bamma" and declares, "I like my baby hair, with baby hair and Afros/ I like my ***** nose with Jackson Five nostrils."

The video, which pays homage to New Orleans and includes references to Hurricane Katrina's devastating aftermath, also features a scene of a young African-American boy wearing a hoodie before a line of police officers while the words "Stop shooting us" appear on a wall.

2 hours ago, The Unknown Poster said:

(CNN)A planned anti-Beyonce rally is being countered with calls for the singer's supporters to get in "Formation."

Those in support of #BoycottBeyonce are being asked to gather outside the headquarters of the National Football League in New York City at 8 a.m. on February 16, according to a posting on Eventbrite.

"Are you offended as an American that Beyoncé pulled her race-baiting stunt at the Superbowl?" the invitation asks. "Do you agree that it was a slap in the face to law enforcement?"

"Come and let's stand together," the notice says. "Let's tell the NFL we don't want hate speech & racism at the Superbowl ever again!"

But that invitation sparked a call for a counterprotest, asking Beyonce supporters to also show up.

"When Black women affirm Blackness/Black womanhood, they are attacked and silenced," says the posting, which invites women to dress in outfits inspired by the "Formation" video or the Super Bowl performance. "This is a counter protest to ... a racist, ahistorical attack on the Black Panther Party and Beyonce, plus an excuse to celebrate a very awesome song and #BlackGirlMagic moment."

The controversy began when the singer dropped her music video for her song "Formation" on Saturday.

In the song Beyonce speaks of her heritage with lyrics such as "My daddy Alabama/ Momma Louisiana/ You mix that ***** with that Creole/ Make a Texas bamma" and declares, "I like my baby hair, with baby hair and Afros/ I like my ***** nose with Jackson Five nostrils."

The video, which pays homage to New Orleans and includes references to Hurricane Katrina's devastating aftermath, also features a scene of a young African-American boy wearing a hoodie before a line of police officers while the words "Stop shooting us" appear on a wall.

i would boycott her just based on those lyrics as someone who enjoys writing and making music.  that is hot garbage left out in the sun for a week that even the wildlife sours away from.  just awful lyrics lol

I cant really get behind entertainers who use stages like the SuperBowl to push a controversial and political narrative.  Its one thing if its something everyone can get behind.  But seemingly invoking Black Panther imagery and contributing to a racial divide during the Super Bowl of all places, would certainly result in her not getting an invite to return, if I were making the decisions.

There seems to be some blowback on the Black Lives Matter stuff.

4 hours ago, The Unknown Poster said:

I cant really get behind entertainers who use stages like the SuperBowl to push a controversial and political narrative.  Its one thing if its something everyone can get behind.  But seemingly invoking Black Panther imagery and contributing to a racial divide during the Super Bowl of all places, would certainly result in her not getting an invite to return, if I were making the decisions.

There seems to be some blowback on the Black Lives Matter stuff.

My guess, and it's purely a guess, is that some (not all) entertainers do this for fun, thinking they are being clever, trying to get a rise out of people and thinking to themselves 'look what I can do', not knowing and/or not caring that what they do can indeed impact lives and cohesion. Sometimes for the good, sometimes for the bad, sometimes for both. 

Some of them live in this special world with their own way of doing things, experts in all of the social world ills that ail us commoners. :-)

Yeah there is such a racial divide still, in many cases.  I saw a video on facebook that was getting liked a lot, of a school girl arguing vehemently with her teacher that white people cannot be victims of racism and thus he, as a white person, cannot teach about racism because he's never experienced it.

Anyone can be the victim if bigotry and prejudice, including white people.

6 hours ago, The Unknown Poster said:

Yeah there is such a racial divide still, in many cases.  I saw a video on facebook that was getting liked a lot, of a school girl arguing vehemently with her teacher that white people cannot be victims of racism and thus he, as a white person, cannot teach about racism because he's never experienced it.

Anyone can be the victim if bigotry and prejudice, including white people.

That was a good video lol made some sense

30 minutes ago, Blueballz said:

That was a good video lol made some sense

I'm not sure it made a lot of sense. I guess it depends on perspective. The student was arguing a point for which she wasn't willing to consider the alternative view. It was a political argument and ofcourse hypocritical. just more noise that doesn't contribute to solutions. 

5 minutes ago, The Unknown Poster said:

I'm not sure it made a lot of sense. I guess it depends on perspective. The student was arguing a point for which she wasn't willing to consider the alternative view. It was a political argument and ofcourse hypocritical. just more noise that doesn't contribute to solutions. 

Not a lot of sense but some. 

I mean can "white" people honestly say they suffer 'racism'? That in itself is laughable. After that I drowned most of it out...

17 minutes ago, Blueballz said:

I mean can "white" people honestly say they suffer 'racism'? That in itself is laughable. After that I drowned most of it out...

If someone hates you or insults you for being white then it's racism.  It doesn't diminish the historical wrongs against blacks in North America or aboriginals. But sure by definition it's still racism.   Not laughable at all 

16 minutes ago, The Unknown Poster said:

If someone hates you or insults you for being white then it's racism.  It doesn't diminish the historical wrongs against blacks in North America or aboriginals. But sure by definition it's still racism.   Not laughable at all 

True but I don't recall Lincoln freeing the "whites" or "whites" being followed around a store by security based on their skin colour or Winnipeg being labelled "Most racist city in Canada" because of stereotypes against "whites" or people referring to drunk, solvent sniffing "whites" along Main.

Does racism go both ways? Sure it does, but the sooner people work together and admit it does exist on BOTH sides, all the better. Time to stop seeing people in terms of color or race, we do that and great things, and true progress, will happen.

I agree with you.  But what you wrote is part of the issue that creates a negative discourse.  No one is denying the historical wrongs.  But that doesnt mean someone cant hurl nasty hateful remarks at me because Im white.  Or in certain communities I am not considered for certain things because Im white.  Last year there was a minor protest movement when a small group of aboriginals blocked traffic on Portage.  What went unreported was that the protesters hurled racial remarks at everyone that appeared to be white (I say appeared to be because some were actually aboriginal and were very upset).  This isnt meant to undermine the sense of anger they might feel but how does that help?  It doesnt.

I saw on CNN some stats about Black Lives Matter showing that the idea that black people are singled out by police moreso than others isnt true.  The comparison was made to Hispanics in the US also.  It was very interesting.,  A lot of the problem is politics and leadership who wants there to be discourse to push an agenda.  In most our daily lives we probably dont even think about different ethnicities as we relate to our friends, family and coworkers who are likely (in my case) white, black, asian, aboriginal etc.  And various religions like Christian, Jewish, Muslim etc.  I think sometimes celebrities like Beyonce feel they have to be a representative for some sort of movement and do the entire issue a dis service.  Say the same thing about that idiot Sean Penn.  Or even Dicaprio.  Celebrities shouldnt be the authorities on any of this.

Dovetail this into the OJ trial which is happening right now and its very interesting.  How many people wanted OJ to get off because of the years of abuse and mistreatment perpetrated upon black residents of LA by the police?  It didnt even matter if he did it.  In fact it was probably better that he did it and got away with it. 

17 hours ago, Blueballz said:

A good start would be if next time we hear one of our peers make a disparaging remark about a minority would be to speak up and denounce it. Sad thing most of us don't have the guts.

Until then, how is change supposed to happen?

So every time a black person drops an "N" bomb are you going to speak up and denounce them for spreading racist words?   Good luck with that.

On Friday, February 12, 2016 at 3:10 PM, Brandon said:

So every time a black person drops an "N" bomb are you going to speak up and denounce them for spreading racist words?   Good luck with that.

You make a good point, you can't cry racism and then do it and say it's OK because "we" are the ones doing it. Hypocritical if you ask me...

look beyond North America, there are places where whites are discriminated against.

all groups have their racists. try being a white person in Japan. or a Korean. 

or a Buddhist in Myanmar.  etc. black south africans kill black people from Zimbabwe. Caste system in India. Indians in Singapore. etc.

It's part of  being human.

I suppose...groups like the Black Panthers, to me, are a result of years of oppression and discrimination. 

Yes they are extreme, no question.

But when a voice speaks and stands up to that, the only recourse is to claim reverse racism.

Like the bully who finally got his arse whupped after picking on the "weaker" foe.

Such a touchy subject because then there are those who are too quick to play the race card when it's convenient.

Such an ugly thing.

On 12/02/2016 at 8:04 PM, Blueballz said:

you obviously have never been beat up for being white. I know people who have.

Edited by basslicker