NI talent?

Blueballz

29 minutes ago, Mr Dee said:

I'm not sure you made your point.

If I'm not mistaken, there were other teams interested in obtaining Waggoner's services, therefore, the high cost of a 1st rounder.

As to over-estimated? Why don't we give this guy Waggoner a wee bit of time to determine his value?

I don't believe time is on Walters side, nor do I believe Waggoner was seen as some sort of project. Like the others, he was expected to contribute now for a Grey Cup run.

9 minutes ago, pigseye said:

I don't believe time is on Walters side, nor do I believe Waggoner was seen as some sort of project. Like the others, he was expected to contribute now for a Grey Cup run.

I can't recall any Bomber brass saying 2015 was going to be a Grey cup run, much less Waggoner being a key contributor to that run.  Maybe it was said but that Global article on drafting Waggoner speaks to upgrading the National talent.  Personally i viewed the pick as being a developmental year for him, but who knows what Walters & crew were thinking.

There were other people who thought Waggoner was a good prospect, not just the Bombers.  Duane Ford thought so (he's actually responsible for Waggoner getting his NI status) and Wally liked him enough (as an import) to put him on their neg list.

He had so little playing time last year that I wonder how anyone can actually say one way or another how good he'll end up being.

I think the issue was more about need, and LB didnt seem to be an area of need so the pick might have been better used this upcoming draft.  if waggoner pans out great, but even then it can still be asked whether or not a 2nd over all pick this year would have been better served for say a OLman or for a more ready  to start prospect.  hind sight, but i dont think even when we snagged waggoner anyone was to concerned about LBs at that time last off season

3 minutes ago, Taynted_Fayth said:

I think the issue was more about need, and LB didnt seem to be an area of need so the pick might have been better used this upcoming draft.  if waggoner pans out great, but even then it can still be asked whether or not a 2nd over all pick this year would have been better served for say a OLman or for a more ready  to start prospect.  hind sight, but i dont think even when we snagged waggoner anyone was to concerned about LBs at that time last off season

Though I don't necessarily agree with this... the counter argument to that would be that it doesn't really matter any more what position your NIs are playing... the way players are developing and playing now, you don't need to have 6 of your 7 NIs on the lines... you find 7 good NIs and play theme wherever they fit best...

1 hour ago, Taynted_Fayth said:

it IS a position of need as we currently field a MLB whos canadian, have rolled with SAMs as canadian and we all know safety and LB can often be interchangeable..

so I consider it as a position of need.. not AS NEEDED as say o-line or D-line.. but still it was a position we needed to strengthen.,