Site Upgrade

Rich

Welcome to the Upgraded Morning Big Blue!

The software that runs the site had a major re-write that was released earlier this year.  They basically rewrote everything from the ground up and I was waiting for the off season to upgrade.  This also means that old themes and plugins will no longer work with the new software.  Look for the looks and feel of the site to change as well as some new plugins to be added over the next little while.

For those of you that changed your display name from your login name, your display name is now used to login (or the email you registered with).  Display names can still be changed.

Here are a few new features you might find interesting / useful:

• Use the @ sign in a post to reference a specific member (typing @ and start typing their name and a filtered list will display.  In posts, these look like this:  @Mike  
  • Check out the new profiles and timelines and activity streams as well as the ability to follow specific members. Customize the streams to see posts and information how you want
  • Quote partial text - highlight text in any post and a popup will show up to allow you to quote it
  • Hover on a thread link and the first and last post will be displayed
  • New editor and the ability to drag and drop media
  • Send messages to other members now without leaving a screen in the forum 

Look for more  additions over the next little while as I start adding other enhancements in.  As always, let me know if you are having any problems. 

• Rich pinned this topic
2 minutes ago, iso_55 said:

Looks like I picked a good day to come back. Site looks nice. 

Thanks.

Still experimenting with this theme and may try a few others.  It is quite customizable with colours and banner graphics.   Will definitely do something different / add / change the banner at the top, even if it is just sizing things properly.

2 hours ago, Mark F said:

lots of good stuff there... like the bigger avatars....

very nice, thanks a lot Rich.....

any chance of a "delete post" button?

Doesn't look like it.   This is typically restricted to moderators so that the flow of a thread isn't upset / changed after the fact.  

8 minutes ago, tacklewasher said:

Did we lose the twitter feed on the right hand side of the page? I see recent posts now and not the twitter feed. Is this something I can adjust in my settings?

The Twitter feed will be coming back, but I haven't put it in yet.  Going to be fine tuning and tweaking over the next couple of days. 

Ill be be working the widgets (including the Twitter feed next). 

Just noticed the ad banner is really bad on mobile right now as well   So I need to look at that too   

2 minutes ago, tacklewasher said:

Well! Get on it!. I pay good money here and expect what I want NOWWWW!!!!

Thanks for your hard work on the site.

Well I just had to remove the recent posts feed that I had up because your Star Wars spoiler post was showing up front and centre. :D

I was going to take it away once I got Twitter working anyway.

Spoiler

I did add a spoiler button to the toolbar.  It is the eye in the upper right.

Ooops. And it was a biggie spoiler as well. Never thought of that but I think it's a good thing it happened when no one else was on. Sorry if you haven't seen the movie yet.

Another question. I'm playing with my setup and notifications. I'd like to disable all email notifications, but there are a couple I can't. When I receive a message, someone comments on something I follow, someone 'likes' something I posted and someone pots on my profile will all generate an email. Can these be turned off somehow?

1 hour ago, Rod Black said:

Clean and modern. Well done.

Can I ask how MBB.com gets financed for the changes and ongoing expenses?

The ads support the site.  Covers the hosting, software expenses (this includes the extra costs for the chat room), some prizes and even allows us to donate a pair of season tickets to Big Brothers & Sisters.  Happy to say I just renewed those, so next year will be the 3rd straight year we support them.

20 minutes ago, Rich said:

The ads support the site.  Covers the hosting, software expenses (this includes the extra costs for the chat room), some prizes and even allows us to donate a pair of season tickets to Big Brothers & Sisters.  Happy to say I just renewed those, so next year will be the 3rd straight year we support them.

Well, thanks for the upgrade, your efforts to run the site and the generosity to Big Brothers and Sisters. I'll ensure the ads are clicked from my end. Might even buy something from them. 

Thanks again!

Edited by Rod Black
Incorrect spelling

9 hours ago, tacklewasher said:

Another question. I'm playing with my setup and notifications. I'd like to disable all email notifications, but there are a couple I can't. When I receive a message, someone comments on something I follow, someone 'likes' something I posted and someone pots on my profile will all generate an email. Can these be turned off somehow?

This should be more flexible now in terms of turning notifications off / on.