Eskimo name change?

If they have to change the name, I wouldn't mind seeing it changed to the Edmonton Elks, would only have to change one letter in "esks" and could still keep with the wintry theme I suppose. Although, wouldn't they need permission from Elks worldwide to go through with it ? How would the Elks sign off on it ?

b26e3b_32dc793ff8c7e45c4bb85be2f8a2c4bb.picture12256684956343.jpg

I think the plural form of elk is still just elk. So when I hear 'welcome the Edmonton Elk to the field' I would half expect a solitary hoofed mammal to exit the tunnel. Not intimidating at all

If they have to change the name, I wouldn't mind seeing it changed to the Edmonton Elks, would only have to change one letter in "esks" and could still keep with the wintry theme I suppose. Although, wouldn't they need permission from Elks worldwide to go through with it ? How would the Elks sign off on it ?

b26e3b_32dc793ff8c7e45c4bb85be2f8a2c4bb.picture12256684956343.jpg

I think the plural form of elk is still just elk. So when I hear 'welcome the Edmonton Elk to the field' I would half expect a solitary hoofed mammal to exit the tunnel. Not intimidating at all

A chocolaty bar, however, would strike terror in the hearts of their opponents.

I think this issue was brought up a few years ago... and nothing came of it.... as it turns out, no one (that matters) is actually offended by the name...

Tell me, who matters?

People in the Inuit/Eskimo/first nations community... at least not from what I read... I don't pretend to speak for that group....

American Inuit do not find the term "Eskimo" offensive but then again they still use the outdated and incorrect term "Indian".

Canadian Inuit however do not like the term.

If one segment of society have issue with it I would hope that we as society are open to discussion. Not stuck in antiquated opinions and let go of the stubbornness.

Really says it all right there. Now, whether or not that discussion is civil... that seems to be the constant challenge.

I think this issue was brought up a few years ago... and nothing came of it.... as it turns out, no one (that matters) is actually offended by the name...

Tell me, who matters?

People in the Inuit/Eskimo/first nations community... at least not from what I read... I don't pretend to speak for that group....

Just pretend to know who matters vs who doesn't, then?

Tell me, who matters?

you don't think the people of the Inuit/Eskimo/first nations community matter most on this topic?

Tell me, who matters?

you don't think the people of the Inuit/Eskimo/first nations community matter most on this topic?

Ya... The issue was brought up by a member of that community. But according to you, no one that matters has an issue with it.

American Inuit do not find the term "Eskimo" offensive but then again they still use the outdated and incorrect term "Indian".

Canadian Inuit however do not like the term.

If one segment of society have issue with it I would hope that we as society are open to discussion. Not stuck in antiquated opinions and let go of the stubbornness.

Really says it all right there. Now, whether or not that discussion is civil... that seems to be the constant challenge.

I think this issue was brought up a few years ago... and nothing came of it.... as it turns out, no one (that matters) is was actually offended by the name...

Tell me, who matters?

Ya... The issue was brought up by a member of that community. But according to you, no one that matters has an issue with it.

Ok... let me re-state what I was saying to make it unambiguous... I read some articles a while ago (let's say 2013 for argument's sake)... in those articles the members of the affected communities had no issues with the name Eskimos... I believe they were mostly senior people as well... in 2013 the issues was quickly dropped b/c it didn't seem to matter to them...

I, admittedly, didn't read this whole article... but it seemed like it was just one guy speaking for the group... perhaps it will have more steam this time around... I probably should have said was in the initial post... does that clarify it my point?