How to eat food without being racist

kelownabomberfan

It's easy to criticize something when a few quotes have been pulled out of a book in a blatant attempt to demonize a social justice movement. I know it's obviously just an opinion, not an actual review of the book, but its comical to me how it has been used to inflame people against a certain point of view. I don't really see anything wrong with the actual quotes from the book, though I doubt I'd agree with the whole book had a read it.

To think of a food from another culture as weird cause it doesn't fit with our experiences does seem disrespectful to me. I think it can be viewed as different or unappealing though. I wouldn't be surprised if someone saw it strange to consume lactations of a mammary gland of other animals, though it is largely a staple of my diet. Or eat food that is filled with ingredients that we don't even know, created through I process that we don't understand, but I do love my jalapeno cheddar cheetos.

What I'm basically trying to say is just to make sure its understood this is from a conservative opinion piece from a company who has endorsed both Bush presidents (W twice) and feature Newt Gingrich and Sarah Palin as guest authors.

And I find it offensive that I'm not able to feel that some things are weird. Perhaps if we both learned to manage our own emotions better we'd be more ok with those of others.

You're welcome to find it weird. Just as I can find that a bit disrespectful. I think there's room for both of us to have our opinions.

I find it surprising and unappealing to eat chicken fetus in the egg. I am friends with people that do and I attempted to try it..... the result was unsuccessful :wacko:

It's easy to criticize something when a few quotes have been pulled out of a book in a blatant attempt to demonize a social justice movement. I know it's obviously just an opinion, not an actual review of the book, but its comical to me how it has been used to inflame people against a certain point of view. I don't really see anything wrong with the actual quotes from the book, though I doubt I'd agree with the whole book had a read it.

To think of a food from another culture as weird cause it doesn't fit with our experiences does seem disrespectful to me. I think it can be viewed as different or unappealing though. I wouldn't be surprised if someone saw it strange to consume lactations of a mammary gland of other animals, though it is largely a staple of my diet. Or eat food that is filled with ingredients that we don't even know, created through I process that we don't understand, but I do love my jalapeno cheddar cheetos.

What I'm basically trying to say is just to make sure its understood this is from a conservative opinion piece from a company who has endorsed both Bush presidents (W twice) and feature Newt Gingrich and Sarah Palin as guest authors.

And I find it offensive that I'm not able to feel that some things are weird. Perhaps if we both learned to manage our own emotions better we'd be more ok with those of others.

You're welcome to find it weird. Just as I can find that a bit disrespectful. I think there's room for both of us to have our opinions.

I find it surprising and unappealing to eat chicken fetus in the egg. I am friends with people that do and I attempted to try it..... the result was unsuccessful :wacko:

Absolutely (and I edited my original post to not sound so much like I was attacking you), it's when people are shamed for their opinions (like the first example)and when programming and policy decisions are influenced (like the second) when it becomes a problem.

You mean the yolk or do they actually eat eggs that have been fertilized by the male?

You mean the yolk or do they actually eat eggs that have been fertilized by the male?

Science burn.

Science burn.

Actually I believe they're fertilized. I worked in a boarding school for a few years and often talked with our Asian students about this dish. I think it's traditionally (or is it authentically?) duck eggs though.

Don't you guys watch Survivor?  In the gross-out food-eating competitions (which apparently are now considered "cultural appropriation") they have on Survivor usually one of the grossest things people have to eat is "Balut", which is a duck egg that has been fertilized, so there is an actual almost ready to hatch duck in the egg, with feathers and beak and everything.  I honestly didn't know that people actually ate that stuff until my tour guide in the Philippines bought one and ate it while we were driving to the rice terraces (and it smelled awful in the car).  He also ordered us some "authentic" Philippine food on the trip which all just seemed to be different animal intestines fried or steamed, and pretty gross.  It was obvious he was just doing it to gross us out and get a laugh at the looks on our faces when we would try something.  I told him after the second stop to cut it out, and just order stuff that was edible for Western palates.  That may have been inappropriate, but we were starting to get pissed off.

balut.jpg

Absolutely (and I edited my original post to not sound so much like I was attacking you), it's when people are shamed for their opinions (like the first example)and when programming and policy decisions are influenced (like the second) when it becomes a problem.

Okay, didn't notice the edit till you pointed it out. I think people being shamed for their opinions is partially why I commented in the first place. I found the article to be a completely biased attack on the opinions someone wrote without them having a chance to respond to defend or clarify their point.

Don't you guys watch Survivor?  In the gross-out food-eating competitions (which apparently are now considered "cultural appropriation") they have on Survivor usually one of the grossest things people have to eat is "Balut", which is a duck egg that has been fertilized, so there is an actual almost ready to hatch duck in the egg, with feathers and beak and everything.  I honestly didn't know that people actually ate that stuff until my tour guide in the Philippines bought one and ate it while we were driving to the rice terraces (and it smelled awful in the car).  He also ordered us some "authentic" Philippine food on the trip which all just seemed to be different animal intestines fried or steamed, and pretty gross.  It was obvious he was just doing it to gross us out and get a laugh at the looks on our faces when we would try something.  I told him after the second stop to cut it out, and just order stuff that was edible for Western palates.  That may have been inappropriate, but we were starting to get pissed off.

balut.jpg

That's right! I forgot that it was duck and not chicken. Shame on me for forgetting that as I actually raise ducks! For some reason I believe it is also done with chicken fetus, perhaps in a different culture, though maybe I am wrong about that too.

Real Chinese food is disgusting.....that goes for a lot ofor SE Asian foods.....fish heads are groas too......go ahead and call the thought police or the incredibly misguided wastes of skin people call SJW's

Me and my Filipino buddy always joked about him eating fish heads and me (being white ) eating potatoes.......oh the humanity! The racism!!!!!!

Of the many ethnic dishes that I have tried through many travels in foreign land, fruits, vegetables and starches have pretty much all been enjoyable, except for the texture of some fungi. It's the attempts to utilize animal proteins that make the odd dish of cultures particularly inedible. Insects, entrails and small beasts served as squab for example are well beyond any desire for regular consumption in my diet. Clearly, if you'd see what some of the protein consumes before slaughter, you'd not put your mouth there even if your concerned about offending a host.

I agree. When we had AUTHENTIC Asian food, the taste was fine, it was the texture that got me gagging.

Don't you guys watch Survivor? In the gross-out food-eating competitions (which apparently are now considered "cultural appropriation") they have on Survivor usually one of the grossest things people have to eat is "Balut", which is a duck egg that has been fertilized, so there is an actual almost ready to hatch duck in the egg, with feathers and beak and everything. I honestly didn't know that people actually ate that stuff until my tour guide in the Philippines bought one and ate it while we were driving to the rice terraces (and it smelled awful in the car). He also ordered us some "authentic" Philippine food on the trip which all just seemed to be different animal intestines fried or steamed, and pretty gross. It was obvious he was just doing it to gross us out and get a laugh at the looks on our faces when we would try something. I told him after the second stop to cut it out, and just order stuff that was edible for Western palates. That may have been inappropriate, but we were starting to get pissed off.

balut.jpg

Can I vote you King of MBB?

Regardless of whether the writer of the story supported Bush (news flash, a lot of people did), it doesnt change (or add really) the quality of the content.  Some of us jump to politics awfully quick around here.

As for me, I wouldnt eat a chicken in an egg.  In fact, I am ashamed I eat animals at all.  We dont need (goes for Milk too which, I hear, appears on some school lunch programs 'must have' lists, which is idiotic)  But when it comes to that, Im weak.  Watch the documentary Earthlings.  You wont eat animals (unless maybe if you caught it/killed it yourself) for awhile.

As for me, I wouldnt eat a chicken in an egg.  In fact, I am ashamed I eat animals at all.  We dont need (goes for Milk too which, I hear, appears on some school lunch programs 'must have' lists, which is idiotic)  But when it comes to that, Im weak.  Watch the documentary Earthlings.  You wont eat animals (unless maybe if you caught it/killed it yourself) for awhile.

Nope, not me. Grew up on a farm. Have no problem eating meat whatsoever.

Well I'm thoroughly disgusted.  Thanks for posting the picture.

LOL - no problem. The one that my guide had in the car was even more disgusting than that. It had feathers and everything, just disgusting, and smelled like ass. I don't know how he could eat something like that and not get horribly sick.

Nope, not me. Grew up on a farm. Have no problem eating meat whatsoever.

To be fair, I dont have a problem eating it.  I love meat.  But once in a while I think about it and I feel sad. 

To be fair, I dont have a problem eating it.  I love meat.  But once in a while I think about it and I feel sad.

When I am consuming a large pile of bacon, I remember that this pig I am eating wouldn't have existed in the first place if it wasn't created in a pig barn by artificially inseminating a sow solely for purposes of producing a litter to be raised for sale to the market. If you ever went into a pig pen you would see how you have to fight off the pigs, who will immediately attempt to bite you, and would eat you if you didn't fight back. I spent enough time in pig barns having to fight off pigs trying to bite me to feel no remorse tucking into a pile of pork chops.

My niece is a huge vegan who loves to tell us all at family gatherings what evil people we are for eating ham and turkey. Last Christmas she told me as I was cutting a slab of ham that "that pig had a family you know", to which I replied "and whose mother would have gladly eaten him if she hadn't been forced to nurse him behind a metal restraining bar". She didn't know what to say to that.

To be fair, I dont have a problem eating it. I love meat. But once in a while I think about it and I feel sad.

When I am consuming a large pile of bacon, I remember that this pig I am eating wouldn't have existed in the first place if it wasn't created in a pig barn by artificially inseminating a sow solely for purposes of producing a litter to be raised for sale to the market. If you ever went into a pig pen you would see how you have to fight off the pigs, who will immediately attempt to bite you, and would eat you if you didn't fight back. I spent enough time in pig barns having to fight off pigs trying to bite me to feel no remorse tucking into a pile of pork chops.

My niece is a huge vegan who loves to tell us all at family gatherings what evil people we are for eating ham and turkey. Last Christmas she told me as I was cutting a slab of ham that "that pig had a family you know", to which I replied "and whose mother would have gladly eaten him if she hadn't been forced to nurse him behind a metal restraining bar". She didn't know what to say to that.

Hahahahaha if you won't let me vote you king, can I organize a bloody coup in your honour?

My wife has stories of chicken wandering into the pig pen......never to be seen again.

Regardless of whether the writer of the story supported Bush (news flash, a lot of people did), it doesnt change (or add really) the quality of the content.  Some of us jump to politics awfully quick around here.

I noted about them supporting political candidates and having political guest authors to point out that their stories are likely going to have a perspective or bias which they try to influence the reader with. Not that their opinion is wrong just because they supported bush.

I have some of earthlings, but even further, I have seen similar stuff in person and the food system we have is sickening. I do not eat that much store-bought meat as a result and instead eat what I have raised, hunted or has been hunted or raised and given to me. I don't make a big deal about it at restaurants and stuff, nor when I am offered food by others. Guess that's a bit of a quiet compromise I make.