Around the NHL

8 minutes ago, Mike said:

Jones signed for 5.4 a year

No way the Jets match 7+ at this point, if the trade off is 4 first round picks. No way.

Jones signing is great news for the Jets. Hopefully, this will close the negotiations with Trouba for around the same price.

On one hand, if we knew Trouba didnt want to be here and demanded a trade and the Jets made a trade for 4 first round picks, we'd say Chevy is a genius.  So there's that.  But it puts the Jets in a hole and says "Winnipeg cant retain their stars".  On the other hand, a presser that reveals "we did not match the Trouba offer-sheet but we just signed Scheif to an 8 year deal" would soften the blow.

It would also look like a rich franchise who's owner is chairman of the board attacking a small franchise and driving up salaries. 

Boston doesn't have the picks to offer anything other than the equivalent to 4 first round picks. Trouba is good but he's not worth 4 1st Rd picks. Jets take the 4 1sts easily. 6.4 is a huge overpayment also. 7 x 6 let's say = 42/5 = still 4 first round picks. Jets take it and run. Why match stupidity 

Edited by Goalie

Just now, The Unknown Poster said:

On one hand, if we knew Trouba didnt want to be here and demanded a trade and the Jets made a trade for 4 first round picks, we'd say Chevy is a genius.  So there's that.  But it puts the Jets in a hole and says "Winnipeg cant retain their stars".  On the other hand, a presser that reveals "we did not match the Trouba offer-sheet but we just signed Scheif to an 8 year deal" would soften the blow.

It would also look like a rich franchise who's owner is chairman of the board attacking a small franchise and driving up salaries. 

I think if the Bruins give the Jets four-first round picks and pay way over market rate for Trouba, the Jets come out looking like winners.

Buf decided he wanted to play here.

Seth Jones for less than 5.5 per......almost unbelievable. I'd personally take him over Trouba, I think. No way Jets can go more than 6 per on a guy like Trouba. If Boston wants to go full-***** and give him 50 mil over 7 years and hand us 4 great picks, I'm all in...

1 minute ago, Noeller said:

Seth Jones for less than 5.5 per......almost unbelievable. I'd personally take him over Trouba, I think. No way Jets can go more than 6 per on a guy like Trouba. If Boston wants to go full-***** and give him 50 mil over 7 years and hand us 4 great picks, I'm all in...

And, who could fault Trouba for signing an offer sheet like that? Even if he wants to play here, he would be foolish to leave that money on the table.

9 minutes ago, The Unknown Poster said:

That is where I saw it first.  Others have said the source is a good source.  Boston hasnt denied it yet, as far as I know, which is telling to a degree.

It's telling that they don't want a fine for talking about players under contracts with other teams.

37 minutes ago, The Unknown Poster said:

You dont get fined for saying there is no truth to rumors.  They'd get a fine for saying there is truth.

You get fined for discussing a player under contract to another team, period.

You would get fined for saying you liked the pink golf shorts he wore at a recent charity event.

37 minutes ago, FrostyWinnipeg said:

Thanks for the link. That was quite an interesting article.

There are two factors in play that were not around in 1990, though. The salary cap, which adds incredible value to entry level contracts and the expansion draft next year.