Around the NHL

7 minutes ago, Goalie said:

And Steven Stamkos is staying in T BAY according to bobby MAC

Pk for Weber? why would Montreal do this?

As for Hall, there are some rumors out there about character issues. Jets wouldn't touch Hall. 

Supposed big time red flags about Halls character maybe some of our Alberta friends can chime in on this

1 minute ago, Goalie said:

Because Weber is on the decline and getting paid way more than Subban is? 

I think Weber is actually getting paid way less now. Wasn't everything in the signing bonus? AAV remains, of course.

Stamkos is getting $68 over 8 years. $8.5AAV

TO would have to pay a lot more to match TB offer when income tax is taken into consideration.

I suspect TO hoped to get a bit of a discount with sponsorship offsets.

Edited by JCon

6 hours ago, Rich said:

I really don’t get what Boston is doing here.  It is like they have no plan and are flying by the seat of their pants.

They trade away Dougie Hamilton who could be their potential #1 D-Man of the future.  They trade him away for a 1st rounder and 2 - 2nd rounders.

Hamilton signs in Calgary to a 6 year $34.5M contract for an AAV of $5.75M

Then they realize they don’t have a #1 D-Man and try to trade for one at the draft.  Can’t get one.

So they decide they are going to try and sign Trouba away.  They have to do it for a minimum of $46M over 7 years for an AAV of $6.7M.   And to do this they would have to give up 4 - 1st round draft picks.

Trouba’s best season was his rookie season where he had 10G 19A for 29 points.   He has been going down since then.

Hamilton’s best season was last year where he scored 12G 31A for 43 points, and he scored 42 points in the prior season. 

Although you do have to give Trouba the advantage in +/-, hits, and blocks.

Not sure who is going to be the better D-Man down the road, but if you want a corner stone #1 D-Man, so far it looks like Hamilton will give you the better offensive numbers to do that.  Trouba would definitely be more physical.  He could also end up producing more once he gets out of the shadow of Byfuglien and Myers, but he really hasn’t shown this yet.

So to summarize you traded away your future #1 D-Man for a 1st rounder and 2 - 2nds  and he ended up signing for an AAV of $5.75.

You want to give up 4 - 1st rounders for Trouba and sign him to an AAV of about $6.7M

I’d seriously consider taking the picks, and that would continue the curse that every Jets Jersey I buy, ends up getting traded away (hello Ladd, Bogosian, and Trouba).

I say we all chip in and buy Rich a Drew Stafford jersey...

5 minutes ago, The Unknown Poster said:

Totally insane trade by Montreal unless there is something going on with Subban.  Even then, Montreal should have done better if 20 other teams knew he was available.  Or wait til next summer and trade him to Vegas for something.

That is the thing with Subban.  His NMC clause kicks in July 1st.  If they decided they wanted to move him, now is the easiest time to do it.

7 minutes ago, JCon said:

TO would have to pay a lot more to match TB offer when income tax is taken into consideration.

Toronto media went out of there way to put this narrative out there today 

5 minutes ago, JCon said:

Confirmed?  Because the rumors were Buffalo and Detroit offering $10m per year.  Im somewhat surprised Tampa wants to pay to be honest if for no other reason than the playoffs showed they could win without him.

Just now, bustamente said:

Toronto media went out of there way to put this narrative out there today 

Wasn't the President of Canadian Tire at the meeting with the Leafs today? They really do have an advantage when signing free agents but (obviously) it does not always work!

1 minute ago, Ducky said:

Subban won the Norris and sat out the gold medal game didn't he?

Didn't Weber dress for it.

I'd rather have Weber on my team but not sure about 2-3 years from now. Weber should only see about 22-23 minutes a game.

Exactly....for my money, Weber's beard is a better player than Subban......but in 5 years, Montreal might think differently about this. Whatever, though, I can't stand PK Subban...