Around the NHL

http://www.torontosun.com/2015/12/19/stamkos-slams-rumors-about-leaving-tampa

Four days after Stamkos and the Tampa Bay Lightning visited the Maple Leafs, the Lightning superstar on Saturday addressed with some force the whispers about his hockey future.

“Absolutely not,” Stamkos told the Tampa Bay Times when it was suggested to him that it has been decided that he is as good as gone from Tampa. “Not even close. That’s why people (in the media) say ‘I’ve got a feeling’ ... there’s so much information out there that’s probably false. Like the ones about my parents moving to Tampa.”

10 minutes ago, Rich said:

Thats a good example of not being able to take what a player says to the media.  What's he going to say.  "Yeah, man, Im out of here."  If he wanted to stay, unless Tampa is low balling him, he'd be signed.  Compare it to Winnipeg where Ladd says he wants to stay (and we believe him) but the Jets seem to be the ones unsure about wanting to keep him.  Stamkos is a top rate player...pay him top rate money.

Thing is... Stamkos probably isn't even the top 5 best player on his team right now... The only reason people think he's so good is because of what he did a couple years ago, he's not a top 5 talent on his team, never mind the league. This is a case of people somewhat over valuing Stamkos, It's not about what he's done, it's about what he's going to do in the future and just like Ladd, you need to look at that, you need to be able to say, hmm in 4 5 6 years from now is Andrew Ladd gonna be worth 6 million a year? Is he worth 6 million a year now even? Just like with Stamkos, is he worth 10 million a year? Now? Maybe, in 2 3 4 5 years? probably not. 

Some of these guys are in for a rude awakening this off-season, yeah i bet there is some team out there who is gonna over pay a ton for some of these guys but in a few years time, will that contract be an albatros on that team that signed it? It might just be. Stamkos hasn't been the same since he broke his leg. 

Big difference between Stamkos and Ladd in their age.

in 6 years Stamkos will be 32 and well within that range where experience can make up for whatever declines age starts to give you.  Hell, Stamkos is really just entering his prime as he just turned 26.

in 6 years Ladd will be on the wrong side of 35.

Cream of the crop free agents will get paid but 2nd tier players might find the money is just not there, i include Ladd as a second tier player. If Ladd wants to remain a Jet he will not make anything close to 6 mil. a year, and he wont see that as a free agent so if he and his family are comfortable here in Winnipeg than making 5 or so mil is still a very good payday.

That's not good and in my opinion if the PA appeal this, they are stupid. Just no responsibility shown by Wideman at all. 

That's the problem with these guys now a days, Can put Evander Kane in to this group also, they take no responsibility for their actions and in Kanes case, they pretend to and then a while later, do the same thing over and over again.

Really wish the owners would make these contracts not guaranteed money.. Kind of like the NFL, a portion is guaranteed but not all of it that's for sure. 

Edited by Goalie

Can't believe someone would even consider begrudging a guy for wanting to play out his contract and help a team in the quest to win the ultimate prize in hockey. Isn't that the point of everything in the NHL? To win the Stanley Cup? And now because Stamkos wants to stick with the team he's got a contract with, while they have a legitimate shot to win the Cup, even though he may leave following the playoff run ... there are suggestions he's not a character guy?

Wow.

1 hour ago, The Unknown Poster said:

Yup.  They chose to NOT ask for a reduction in the games as an option and went for a home run, arguing that there was no infraction and no suspension required. 

I assumed they were going for the 10 gamer... which would have been a justifiable request...

6 hours ago, Mike said:

Can't believe someone would even consider begrudging a guy for wanting to play out his contract and help a team in the quest to win the ultimate prize in hockey. Isn't that the point of everything in the NHL? To win the Stanley Cup? And now because Stamkos wants to stick with the team he's got a contract with, while they have a legitimate shot to win the Cup, even though he may leave following the playoff run ... there are suggestions he's not a character guy?

Wow.

Perhaps you glazed over the discussion.  If you cant see the point then you wont ever see it, so its not worth rehashing.  But if i team WANTS to trade a player in his final year and he refuses, then yes, I question the character of the player.  No wow needed!

1 hour ago, The Unknown Poster said:

Perhaps you glazed over the discussion.  If you cant see the point then you wont ever see it, so its not worth rehashing.  But if i team WANTS to trade a player in his final year and he refuses, then yes, I question the character of the player.  No wow needed!

I stand by my wow. I didn't glaze over the discussion. I was just sharing my own thoughts.

2 hours ago, The Unknown Poster said:

Hes got like zero say in any trade talks. He gives a list of teams. If non of the teams are willing to make a trade n pay him his 10milper then he should rethink what hes asking.

He seems to think he can win it all with Tampa. If he thinks that and wants to try then i think its all good. Both sides are taking a risk doing this.

His trade value to Tampa will more less remain the same but his asking price to sign with a new team might become less if he cant get Tampa a cup.