Around the NHL

Okay, this is an Eklund rumor but seems far too specific to be completely made up. 

Been chasing a slew of rumors, but I was just told by a very reliable source that Ilya Kovalchuk may be leaving Russia and signing with an NHL team before Monday's trade deadline which would make him eligible for the post season...

The source contacted me just as news broke in Russia that Kovalchuk will NOT play Games 3 or 4 in his playoff series versus Lokomotiv SKA and has been stripped of his Captaincy.

The two teams Kovalchuk would most likely be signing with are NJ and Toronto from all indications.

I don't think Eklund has ever actually had one of his ahem rumors come true 

24 hours ago he said a leafs goalie will be traded in 24 hours. Nope 

A couple weeks ago he said Drouin would be traded in 24 hours. Nope. 

Gotta stop posting this guy's stuff. 

Because quite frankly it's at the point where any of us could start a rumor and it would be more likely to happen 

Edited by Goalie

https://www.nhl.com/video/ryan-reaves-suspended-3-games/t-277440360/c-41781803

Reaves suspended...  quite the explanation by NHL - Dman sees Reaves coming, turns his back...  Never eligible for a hit?  He purposely turned his back knowing that you can't be hit on the numbers... then reaves just rubs his shoulder

NHL is a totally joke these days.

2 minutes ago, Ducky said:

Wow, it says here that Belfour made just short of 50 million!!!!!!!!

http://www.hockeyzoneplus.com/salaries/217

I don't about Ed Belfour getting into the alcohol business....  

Not sure if he's flat broke or not... couldn't find anything on the net saying so...  I assume NHL players get a pension also?  

Belfour still has money, he just sold some of his stuff to help out his son. He's not broke. That's for sure. Trust me, the guy has tons of cash. 

I really don't think he's broke at all, unless he's made some bad business investments recently cuz i was watching a show about him about a year ago and the guy lived in a mansion to say the least. 

Edited by Goalie

found this..

NHL players can start withdrawing their pension benefits at the age of 45. Players are not fully vested, however, until the age of 45. NHL pensions require that a player be active for at least 160 games to qualify for the maximum pension benefit. Players with less than 160 games of service receive the maximum benefit under Canadian law, and players with 160 games or more of service receive the maximum pension under U.S. law, which is $45,000 annually. (The maximum amount you may borrow from your qualified plan is either 50% of your vested balance or $50,000, whichever is less. )

2 hours ago, Brandon said:

I don't about Ed Belfour getting into the alcohol business....  

Not sure if he's flat broke or not... couldn't find anything on the net saying so...  I assume NHL players get a pension also?  

Dunno if still accurate but "NHL pensions, which are also determined by the length of a player's career, require at least 160 games played for eligibility. Those with less than 400 games played can collect $8,000 CDN per year beginning at age 45. Those who've played more than 400 games receive a payment of $250,000 CDN at the age of 55, in addition to $12,500 CDN per year at 45."

1 hour ago, FrostyWinnipeg said:

TO has got #1 pick. Called it after their last trade.

You do realize that picks 1 2 3 will be decided via lottery balls right?  Toronto is guaranteed nothing right now and they only have 2 less points then Edmonton and have played less games 

12 minutes ago, Goalie said:

You do realize that picks 1 2 3 will be decided via lottery balls right?  Toronto is guaranteed nothing right now and they only have 2 less points then Edmonton and have played less games 

Yeah but only once has a team been x'd via the lottery that i recall and that was buffalo 2 years ago.