Around the NHL

Don't understand how this is complicated... don't include the no-trade clause if you think you want to trade the player in his last year.  Simple.

No-trade clause basically reduces the $$ amount that players ask for... if you pay them more, then you can trade them.  Very basic.

That being said, asking for $10 million a season while being statistically tied with Brian Little is a bit of a stretch...

19 minutes ago, Goalie said:

I agree that no trade clauses are ridiculous and probably shouldn't exist. I don't blame Stamkos here either.  I'd still say it's more likely that he signs in Tampa 

I think they should exist for sure. If a player is willing to sign a long term deal with a team he should have a bit of say where he goes if moved.

Now if the player asks to be moved during the contract then his list goes away.

He goes to whatever team his team gets the best return.

Edited by New_Earth_Mud

3 hours ago, Rich said:

What is weird is his NMC didn't kick in until this season started. 

They could have traded him last off season. 

Absolutely. Terrible management by the GM. Asset management can make all the difference.  If Stankos walks for nothing it's a huge huge loss to Tampa. 

Jets gave Buff a NTC in the early years and modified in the latter. It gives the player stability but gives the team options at the end. 

So word is the Habs are listening to offers for PK Subban. Can't imagine they ever actually do it, unless it's some kinda massive deal. They'd need a star in return, plus some kinda solid, quality D man. Like, we're talking Stamkos + D Man for Subban + Forward kinda thing....

6 minutes ago, Noeller said:

So word is the Habs are listening to offers for PK Subban. Can't imagine they ever actually do it, unless it's some kinda massive deal. They'd need a star in return, plus some kinda solid, quality D man. Like, we're talking Stamkos + D Man for Subban + Forward kinda thing....

It was reported yesterday that Subban was not on the table at all.

But if so...  Ladd + Trouba + Stuart + Pavs to Montreal for Subban and Poutine

http://nypost.com/2016/02/19/islanders-barclays-eye-escape-clause-to-get-team-out-of-brooklyn/

What's interesting in the story is that they are renovating(not blowing up) the Isle's old arena Nassau Coliseum and it will be reduced in size to 13k.

Arena designed for NBA not NBA/NHL.

Edited by FrostyWinnipeg

That's what happens when a owner puts a gun to the county and says give me what i what or i leave and the county says leave. Moving to Brooklyn was a big mistake considering the arena was totally inadequate for the hockey fans. I don't know what the big hangup on size is i would rather have 13-14 k seats full of fans with higher tickets prices than a 19k building 3/4 full at discounted tickets.   

Following the trade that sent Shawn Matthias to the Colorado Avalanche on Sunday afternoon, the organization was left with a whopping 12 selections in 2016: Two firsts, a second, two thirds, two fourths, two fifths, two sixths and a seventh.

Edited by The Unknown Poster

Best thing that could possibly happen for the Leafs....dump everyone from prior regime, and start from scratch. Build through the draft, surround the prospects with the right veterans, and you might have something. Good for Babs, Shanny and Old Man Winter...

Leafs are certainly doing it right.  Stockpiling a ton of picks.  They should be bad for a few years and end up with some really good picks.  I could see them trying to package some picks to move up to and really try and maximize the top picks.  Eventually the Leafs will be really good.  Unless they blow their wad on Stamkos.  And even then, they could sign Stamkos and still get a lot better.

47 minutes ago, The Unknown Poster said:

Leafs are certainly doing it right.  Stockpiling a ton of picks.  They should be bad for a few years and end up with some really good picks.  I could see them trying to package some picks to move up to and really try and maximize the top picks.  Eventually the Leafs will be really good.  Unless they blow their wad on Stamkos.  And even then, they could sign Stamkos and still get a lot better.

Heard this before, ha...

15 minutes ago, Ducky said:

No, because he isn't worth that kind of cash unless you are paying him for the way he played 3-4 years ago when St. Louis was feeding him the puck. TB's offer of 8.5m per year was fair.

yeah I guess I can agree with that.  What kind of money is he demanding?