Bombers Cut Chevon Walker

Rich

What did Ottawa see in him. I dunno really. It's amazing how many chances some of these guys get

If you want to review Walkers skills re-watch the Bombers first game against the RB's last season.  No doubt that he had the physical talent at that time but as we have seen until recently with Stoudermire sometimes these guys forget how to use it.

No Walker has been the same since day one with Hamilton. He's fast. If he has a big hole to run through he's got the speed to exploit it but when the going gets tough he folds faster than superman on laundry day. Speed gets guys 9 lives in sports but if you can't do anything with that speed but run through gaping holes you're not a football player, just a track star. 

I was not impressed with Walker and wondered why Winnipeg bothered bringing him in. Interesting comment about his speed though. There is something very wrong with Bombers run game and it doesn't matter who the RB is. First, they telegraph every run. So its easy for the D to pick up. Secondly, every run play takes too long to develop. You can count steamboats while the QB is holding the ball out there waiting for the back to take the ball and then silly-walk into Picard's backside or one of the Bombers guards or the waiting arms of an opposing defender. It's been like that for the past couple of seasons. Its almost like there's no communication between the O line and backfield. And of course no play action to give pause to the D and no misdirection. Major fail. Does MOS not see this? 

Everyone does that read play with the qb though. The qb is holding the ball to see what the defense does and if he's going to pull the ball or let the rb take it. The problems with the Bombers offense are bigger than how long it takes for the rb to get the ball. 

I was not impressed with Walker and wondered why Winnipeg bothered bringing him in. Interesting comment about his speed though. There is something very wrong with Bombers run game and it doesn't matter who the RB is. First, they telegraph every run. So its easy for the D to pick up. Secondly, every run play takes too long to develop. You can count steamboats while the QB is holding the ball out there waiting for the back to take the ball and then silly-walk into Picard's backside or one of the Bombers guards or the waiting arms of an opposing defender. It's been like that for the past couple of seasons. Its almost like there's no communication between the O line and backfield. And of course no play action to give pause to the D and no misdirection. Major fail. Does MOS not see this?

I didn't believe that Walker was going to be a part of our future, just a fill-ln.

But I do agree with you that our running game is very predictable and ultra slow. Not only do we present our Offence as showing the run, we then proceed to hand the ball off, not as the blocking is developing, but when it has already happened. There is no thrust left. Result? 2 yards. But do we change it? No. So then, the question is...why not?

Oh, and Nichols does seem to handle the handoff option play better than Willy.

Messam is good but he's not an every down back that's for sure, I'm not sure how many times he has had even over 10 carries a game.. I think people think the Messam that ran all over us last year is the Messam that shows up every game, but it's not.

Exactly. People always love the guys that do well against but fail to look at his whole body of work.

What did Ottawa see in him. I dunno really. It's amazing how many chances some of these guys get

If you want to review Walkers skills re-watch the Bombers first game against the RB's last season.  No doubt that he had the physical talent at that time but as we have seen until recently with Stoudermire sometimes these guys forget how to use it.

No Walker has been the same since day one with Hamilton. He's fast. If he has a big hole to run through he's got the speed to exploit it but when the going gets tough he folds faster than superman on laundry day. Speed gets guys 9 lives in sports but if you can't do anything with that speed but run through gaping holes you're not a football player, just a track star.

I honestly don't think he does see it and wouldn't know how to fix it if he did. MOS was a LB not a QB, unlike head coaches like Hufnagel and Austin. I'm sure he sees the game differently from many of us and I don't think it's a coincidence that our D is light years ahead of our O.

Yea cuz if your a defender.. All you retain and have the ability to follow is defense.. *insert eyeroll emotji* Lets be serious here. Hes been involved in football for how long? He isnt an idiot. He sees now his defenses played against offenses and Im sure he realizes what offenses could and would beat defenses..

Had no interest in Messam at the time but gave this wash out a look.....

No one had much interest in Messam when he was available.
Well Jacquie, if everyone jumped off a bridge....you get the picture. Sask got Messam for $80K...that still drives me crazy and more than a few posters here even thought signing the guy was a good idea. 80 frick'in K, Jacquie!!!!

And last season he was over-paid. He wasn't good in Montreal or for his first season in Saskatchewan. If he had been signed by the Bombers and performed that way the calls for him to be cut would have been deafening.

Had no interest in Messam at the time but gave this wash out a look.....

No one had much interest in Messam when he was available.
Well Jacquie, if everyone jumped off a bridge....you get the picture. Sask got Messam for $80K...that still drives me crazy and more than a few posters here even thought signing the guy was a good idea. 80 frick'in K, Jacquie!!!!

And last season he was over-paid. He wasn't good in Montreal or for his first season in Saskatchewan. If he had been signed by the Bombers and performed that way the calls for him to be cut would have been deafening.

Messem has a pretty decent oline blocking for him in riderville, doesnt he? Damn sight better then here I think anyway. He would have done squat here and walters would be roasted.. Again.. For signing a castoff.

If you want to review Walkers skills re-watch the Bombers first game against the RB's last season. No doubt that he had the physical talent at that time but as we have seen until recently with Stoudermire sometimes these guys forget how to use it.

I honestly don't think he does see it and wouldn't know how to fix it if he did. MOS was a LB not a QB, unlike head coaches like Hufnagel and Austin. I'm sure he sees the game differently from many of us and I don't think it's a coincidence that our D is light years ahead of our O.

Yea cuz if your a defender.. All you retain and have the ability to follow is defense.. *insert eyeroll emotji* Lets be serious here. Hes been involved in football for how long? He isnt an idiot. He sees now his defenses played against offenses and Im sure he realizes what offenses could and would beat defenses..

I'd agree with you if he had shown any kind of aptitude for offence so far. But his throwing of support behind MB for the last two years, and everything that's come with that move, has not really shown that he does know much about offence.

That's not true...he knows much more than Burke did who admitted he knew NOTHING about offence. He kept MB here to try and keep some consistency and for the sake of Willy who wanted that. If we had a decent Oline and a healthy QB all year...he wouldn't look quite as bad as he has most times this year....but I still say fire MB.

That's not true...he knows much more than Burke did who admitted he knew NOTHING about offence. He kept MB here to try and keep some consistency and for the sake of Willy who wanted that. If we had a decent Oline and a healthy QB all year...he wouldn't look quite as bad as he has most times this year....but I still say fire MB.

I'm not necessarily saying he doesn't know anything about offence, I was just replying to Spuds' assertion that because he had spent his life in football, he knows what constitutes a good offence. And your mention of Burke is a perfect example as a case where that simply isn't true.

As tburg might point out, he has to prove he can do it first, not just have excuses why he hasn't.

Yeah tend to agree there. Walker was never really that good, he was fast and when a hole was there, he'd take it but... when it wasn't, guy folded faster than superman on laundry day. 

I just keep seeing his one "big" play as a  bomber repeating in my head over and over and over and to me that is chevon walker to a tee. Nice little 5 yard pass to the guy, looks like he has room to cut inside and take it upfield, holes are there, guy says screw that and heads to the sidelines, what could have been a big gainer, 10 15 20 yards, there was lots of open field there if he just  cut it up field... he didn't and headed to the sidelines so he wouldn't get hit. That's Chevy Walker pretty much. 

Nice original analysis and analogy! ;)  

If you want to review Walkers skills re-watch the Bombers first game against the RB's last season. No doubt that he had the physical talent at that time but as we have seen until recently with Stoudermire sometimes these guys forget how to use it.

I'd agree with you if he had shown any kind of aptitude for offence so far. But his throwing of support behind MB for the last two years, and everything that's come with that move, has not really shown that he does know much about offence.

hes mentioned more then a few times that the offense needs work. I believe he just trusts his coordinators too much.. the st were struggling mightily and he let tracey attempt to sort it out before he stepped in.. he clearly doesnt know enough to be an OC but to suggest hes ignorant of the woes of the offense is a ridiculious notion..

hes mentioned more then a few times that the offense needs work. I believe he just trusts his coordinators too much.. the st were struggling mightily and he let tracey attempt to sort it out before he stepped in.. he clearly doesnt know enough to be an OC but to suggest hes ignorant of the woes of the offense is a ridiculious notion..

Have Special Teams improved since MOS took over direct responsibility for that aspect of the game? They are still taking stupid penalties and giving up returns.

Have Special Teams improved since MOS took over direct responsibility for that aspect of the game? They are still taking stupid penalties and giving up returns.

Yes.. They have but irrelevant to the discussion at hand. He can't step in for MB. he trusts his coordinators... Too much imo.