Do or Die Detailed Half Time Report...

do or die

We all saw that Brohm wasn't ready last year... yet he was second string going into this season.

Marve is a decent mobile QB who needs experience... so instead we try to make him into a pocket passer.

Bombers trade for Portis then ditch him.

Our best hope is Joey Elliott right now... not even kidding. There's no one else.

Crompton could probably be traded for.

6 game IR. He done

We all saw that Brohm wasn't ready last year... yet he was second string going into this season.

Marve is a decent mobile QB who needs experience... so instead we try to make him into a pocket passer.

Bombers trade for Portis then ditch him.

Our best hope is Joey Elliott right now... not even kidding. There's no one else.

Crompton could probably be traded for.

6 game IR. He done

To all those crowing because Marve stunk the stadium up last night: there were damned few of us who claimed that Marve was The Answer. Most who were calling for Marve to play were certain that Brohm was NOT the answer and that Marve deserved a shot to play himself on or off the team. He had that chance last night and looked as bad as any starting Bomber QB has looked since, well, forever. Marve had a pretty decent resume before coming here and I am having difficulty believing he is as incompetent as he looked last night. Something is dreadfully wrong here.

To all those crowing because Marve stunk the stadium up last night: there were damned few of us who claimed that Marve was The Answer. Most who were calling for Marve to play were certain that Brohm was NOT the answer and that Marve deserved a shot to play himself on or off the team. He had that chance last night and looked as bad as any starting Bomber QB has looked since, well, forever. Marve had a pretty decent resume before coming here and I am having difficulty believing he is as incompetent as he looked last night. Something is dreadfully wrong here.

Nobody is crowing but when you can't complete a pass more than 5 yards... next really. What seems to be wrong Is some people hoped Marve would be the saviour.. thought he was the second coming really and now after he's stunk it up for a game and a half let's say... can't admit that maybe the problem is indeed Marve. Nobody is happy about how marve played... everybody wanted him to do well but it's obvious he is lost and greener than goose crap. Can't even throw 10 yards with accuracy. That something wrong is the guy who touches the ball on every O play who put up like 96 yards of O in 3 quarters. We all wish he was better but... facts all point to he's not and he has a very long way to go. His performance was one of the worst QB performances in recent memory. Seriously. Was Boltus worse? I don't know at this point.

Nobody is crowing but when you can't complete a pass more than 5 yards... next really. What seems to be wrong Is some people hoped Marve would be the saviour.. thought he was the second coming really and now after he's stunk it up for a game and a half let's say... can't admit that maybe the problem is indeed Marve. Nobody is happy about how marve played... everybody wanted him to do well but it's obvious he is lost and greener than goose crap. Can't even throw 10 yards with accuracy. That something wrong is the guy who touches the ball on every O play who put up like 96 yards of O in 3 quarters. We all wish he was better but... facts all point to he's not and he has a very long way to go. His performance was one of the worst QB performances in recent memory. Seriously. Was Boltus worse? I don't know at this point.

Marve's performance was as bad as any quarterback that has started for us in decades- right up there with Boltus and Rubley. The point is that Brohm was worse both yesterday and every chance he got since he arrived. Brohm played himself out of contention long ago and I maintain Marve deserved a shot. He shat the bed but I can't help believing that he had/has the talent to be decent in this league but there is something broken in this team. If Marve starts against Sask, he has to look way better or the team will give up on him like they did on Brohm and then we are in free-fall.

I for one, am completely shocked that a quarterback with one start under his belt came in and did not immediately look like the second coming of Warren Moon.  What we saw out of Marve was exactly what we should have seen, a young guy with potential hving to lead a team far before he's really ready to do that.  Factor in the fact that we have MB as our OC and really, what more could you expect from the kid.  Personally, I think that he might be a good QB one day, but not just yet.  3rd string is exactly where he should be.  The problem is that our 1st string is injured and MB's pet project, Brohm is useless.

Clearly, this offence will not get better until we can find a quality OC and a proper backup.  The ball is now fully in Walter's court (backup QB wise, and MOS' (for a proper OC).

I for one, am completely shocked that a quarterback with one start under his belt came in and did not immediately look like the second coming of Warren Moon.  What we saw out of Marve was exactly what we should have seen, a young guy with potential hving to lead a team far before he's really ready to do that.  Factor in the fact that we have MB as our OC and really, what more could you expect from the kid.  Personally, I think that he might be a good QB one day, but not just yet.  3rd string is exactly where he should be.  The problem is that our 1st string is injured and MB's pet project, Brohm is useless.

Clearly, this offence will not get better until we can find a quality OC and a proper backup.  The ball is now fully in Walter's court (backup QB wise, and MOS' (for a proper OC).

Marve ought to have looked better, not necessarily a world-beater but better than he showed. All you need do is look at the backups in Edmonton, Montreal and Toronto who were thrown into the game with little starting experience and seem to be doing way better. I am not sure if it is time to give up on Marve, but maybe he is not getting the coaching he needs.

We should trade our first round pick in next year's CFL Draft for a veteran qb who can come in & play. Oh wait....

Maybe Waggoner can throw the ball?

Unbelievable. If you hold the first pick you can trade it for assets or make the pick. No offense to Waggoner but we're really handicapped here. We won't be rebuilding our OL with a second round pick.

Best summation so far.

We should trade our first round pick in next year's CFL Draft for a veteran qb who can come in & play. Oh wait....

Unbelievable. If you hold the first pick you can trade it for assets or make the pick. No offense to Waggoner but we're really handicapped here. We won't be rebuilding our OL with a second round pick.
If Waggoner is truly a first round talent, I've got no problem with Walters using it this year in the supplemental draft.

I for one, am completely shocked that a quarterback with one start under his belt came in and did not immediately look like the second coming of Warren Moon.  What we saw out of Marve was exactly what we should have seen, a young guy with potential hving to lead a team far before he's really ready to do that.

One problem....actually a few...

Yes there of course is such a thing as rookie mistakes, but there are also mistakes that you simply should just know better as a quarterback playing professional football. The first pick across his body - Inexcusable regardless of experience. He's not an accurate passer, he can't read the defence, and he's starting to get happy feet in the pocket as well now that he's getting acustomed to playing behind out line.

It's not about looking like the "second coming of Warren Moon", it's about there being something as a passer, not a runner, that you can build off of, or something that flashes that makes you say as a coach "okay, we can work with this", or develop this, something to that effect. You saw it with Reilly, Willy, and Collaros as they were breaking in. You're not seeing it with Robert Marve.

I for one, am completely shocked that a quarterback with one start under his belt came in and did not immediately look like the second coming of Warren Moon.  What we saw out of Marve was exactly what we should have seen, a young guy with potential hving to lead a team far before he's really ready to do that.

One problem....actually a few...

Yes there of course is such a thing as rookie mistakes, but there are also mistakes that you simply should just know better as a quarterback playing professional football. The first pick across his body - Inexcusable regardless of experience. He's not an accurate passer, he can't read the defence, and he's starting to get happy feet in the pocket as well now that he's getting acustomed to playing behind out line.

It's not about looking like the "second coming of Warren Moon", it's about there being something as a passer, not a runner, that you can build off of, or something that flashes that makes you say as a coach "okay, we can work with this", or develop this, something to that effect. You saw it with Reilly, Willy, and Collaros as they were breaking in. You're not seeing it with Robert Marve.

Yes, Marve made some mistakes yesterday but here's the thing, in their second game, I'm betting that Reilly, Willy and Collaros did too.  Ya, he threw that pass across his body and Dunnigan was quick to point out that you should never do that, but I'm betting that during his career, Matty did do exactly that because people sometimes make mistakes and try to make things happen because they want to win, and do things that they really shouldn't have.  A mistake like that is correctable if the guy is actually given some time to learn and develop more.  The problem here is right now the team is asking him to do something that he's just not ready to do, be a starter.  That's not his fault, that rests with our GM and HC for allowing Brohm to remain on this team and on our OC for the overall strategy.

Actually in fairness, we really can't blame Marcel.  He's mediocre.  Always has been, always will be, so we are getting exactly what we should expect from him.  MOS allowed him to be the OC so really you can't blame MB for being MB.  

So from my point of view, what we witnessed yesterday has way more to do with Walters and O'Shea than it does with Marve.  He's just the symptom, not the disease.  

If Waggoner is truly a first round talent, I've got no problem with Walters using it this year in the supplemental draft.

So, we grabbed Waggoner & say we finish last or second last. Then have nothing to show for it? We need offensive linemen not linebackers or defensive backs. How does that make us better? It doesn't. Not saying Waggoner isn't a good player but in the big picture with everything we need on offense, I don't believe he was worth a first round pick.  

So, we grabbed Waggoner & say we finish last or second last. Then have nothing to show for it? We need offensive linemen not linebackers or defensive backs. How does that make us better? It doesn't. Not saying Waggoner isn't a good player but in the big picture with everything we need on offense, I don't believe he was worth a first round pick.
I trust Walters assessment on Waggoner. For all we know he could be our starting MLB in a year or two.

So, we grabbed Waggoner & say we finish last or second last. Then have nothing to show for it? We need offensive linemen not linebackers or defensive backs. How does that make us better? It doesn't. Not saying he isn't a good player but in the big picture he wasn't worth it. 

Quality Canadians are quality Canadians and you take them when you can.  Calgary seemed to want him too, so clearly, he's worth a 1st.  You can't make draft decisions based on "what happens if we don't make the playoffs at the end of the year".  I don't think that he's a bad pick or a wasted pick etc.  They took a guy because they thought that he was talented enough that he would have been a first rounder if he had been in the original draft.  I tend to agree, judging by the interest that was shown.  So, in a year that was considered to be a strong draft year, we got two 1st rounders.  I'm ok with that.

I trust Walters assessment on Waggoner. For all we know he could be our starting MLB in a year or two.

Or not. What do we need right now? What part of the team has been killing it for years? What do we need the most? A future middle linebacker or an offensive lineman that can block? Unless we are extremely lucky as in fluke we'll never find that player in the second round. I mean, hey... it's taken half a decade to get where we are now with the offensive line, why not stretch it out to a decade? 

Or not. What do we need right now? What part of the team has been killing it for years? What do we need the most? A future middle linebacker or an offensive lineman that can block? Unless we are extremely lucky as in fluke we'll never find that player in the second round. I mean, hey... it's taken half a decade to get where we are now with the offensive line, why not stretch it out to a decade?

You can always find help in FA for offensive linemen.. Hypothetical starting MLBs or WIL on the other hand.. We rebuilt what we have thought was 2 pieces hopefully (now down to one offically lol) and that kind of progress could be considered on pace with drafting.. No? Not to mention with FA you normally know what your getting..

Two thought from this thread...

Bruce Johnson... I was never quite sold on him... but I can't say I've focused on him all that much... the fact that we haven't really noticed him lead me to believe he was doing alright...

Buck Pierce... not sure why so many people think he should be the guy to step in if MB is canned... Marcus Howell has much more coaching experience... people were calling for him to take over in 2013 when Crowton was stinking up the joint... I'm not sure if either guy is ready to be an OC but I'd be much more confident in Howell at this stage in their careers...

A tag team of Howell and Pierce I think would be best option and probably pretty effective.

Howell is actually becoming a pretty darn good coach, and is well respected and it shows as he has lasted through several regimes here now. Throw in Buck to help game plan, scheme and make in game adjustments (even mid drive adjustments) would totally turn the sad sack offence around.

Buck even in past has called own plays, so he would be totally capable as the in-game off. assistant down on the sidelines working with the starter, with Howell in the booth managing the gameplan.

If anything it can't be worse, and I truly believe actually rather impressive.