Weak Links - Players edition.

Goalie

Honestly, i don't think the LBs have been much of an issue the last few weeks... I don't see Curran, even if he was interested in coming to play again in the CFL making that much of a difference out there.. There are bigger problems on D than the Middle Linebacker that's for sure... Matt Bucknor is my biggest concern cuz you know that if the pass is headed his way, it's more than likely a completion, a big gain or a TD. The other 3 DB's i have faith in, Bucknor, i just don't. 

Who do you want to be in for Paris Cotton - Da'rel Scott or Tyler Thomas?

I'd like to see what Scott can do... I know that technically gives us a thunder/thunder combo... but whatever, even if both guys give a similar skill set it would still help to wear down defenses... can't believe I'll use the Riders as an example... but look at the success they were having with the Messam/Allen combo...

I hope to see Scott there too but Thomas has KR skills so I'm guessing that might get him the nod. Messam & Allen is a bigger version of thunder and lightning combo.

I guess... but Allen is bigger than Marshall... so maybe we should call it thunder and thunder storm  :D

Sherman is not a starting linebacker.

Maybe you go 3 on the OL, 2 Receivers, Westerman and Hurl and take Bucknor out?

What is the biggest hole though?

Bucknor is not our biggest problem on D, Hurl is

Rotate Lin-J Shell/Sherman and Turner/Thomas

Leggett at SAM is an interesting thought, Sherman has the speed to be safety

Disagree big time, Bucknor is definitely the weak link in the secondary. Teams pick on him, it's happened many many times...

Not sure how Hurl is the biggest issue when last night we gave up like 55 yards rushing. 

But Bucknor got picked on for what? 2 maybe 3 touchdowns last night... 2 for sure, Don't see how Hurl is the biggest problem when Bucknor is the one getting picked on all game. 

I'd like to see Sherman get another crack, whether LB or S. even if it was just in rotation.  Last year he made an impact both in stripping balls and getting after the QB.

I'd like to see Sherman get another crack, whether LB or S. even if it was just in rotation.  Last year he made an impact both in stripping balls and getting after the QB.

Agreed Sherman has looked good on ST I think he is a better player this year but we won't know for sure until he get to play...

I am still not sold on Ritchie Hall entirely but I'm going to give the guy credit, he's been adjusting and the D has been improving as the year has gone on. Hurl is getting better too and I'm OK leaving him in there for now, but god damn it I am sick and tired of Bucknor. Guy isn't totally useless but teams do pick on him. After the fumble on a punt in Calgary the Stamps went right after him and got a td, then they went right after him and got the 2 point convert, last night they went after him for 2 or 3 more TDs. Guy is just not good enough to be starting when we already start 7 other NIs. Especially when the one positions Walters has been successful at finding players is DB. 

The problem as I see it is we're starting 8 Canadians when we only need to start 7 but our 6th and 7th Canadian starters aren't really good enough. Yeah maybe the 8th guy is on a similar level to them but that doesn't make it better. It is a handicap for the team starting that many Canadians when the overall talent level of our Canadians isn't that high. Yes there is depth there, but we still lack enough truly high end Canadians. We have a lot of low end Canadian starters and borderline Canadian starters but that isn't good enough. 

Neufeld did not look good yesterday, but was okay against BC, so he gets a temporary pass. The biggest issue for the O-line seems to be that they don't seem to know who to block on a given play, and that sounds like coaching problems.

Bucknor was decent last year but looks slow and confused this year. Leggett doesn't seem to be the force this season as last. Until yesterday, I would have been happy to toss Hurl overboard, but he looked better on Sunday, so he gets reprieved. I'm OK with our receivers and RBs but Cotton has been clipped and Taylor looks to be an interesting player.

I think Stoudemire is still good, last week he had a nice return which set up the willy to adams TD but... at times it looks like he has very little blocking or if he does have blocking, they are more in the way than making holes for him, tough to tell on TV since you don't get the over head angle but i'd suspect he has very little room to actually do anything. 

Don't get the HURL ripping, i'd get it the first couple games but the last few he's been solid, he's not a bighill or elimimian, he's not a henoc or anything like that but the guy does make plays out there, had a very solid hustle play last night, went for the blitz i believe, didn't get it in time, collaros passed the ball off, the tackle on that play was made by HURL, almost immediately really. He's been getting better, i know people look at stats and all that but... i don't think the stats tell you the whole story... pretty tough to get on any of the LBS after last night, ticats only had what? 55 yards rushing? That's a damn good day really.  I don't think he's your prototypical middle linebacker either, i'm not sure, but... when i think Middle Linebacker i think run stopper really but.. it seems HURL is being used more in blitz packages which leaves BASS to come in and get all the glory stats. I dunno tho but thought HURL has been pretty good the last few weeks now. 

Or i guess, I'll say it like this, I don't think HURL is the biggest problem on D, i think the biggest problem on D is our Canadian DB..

I'll say this much, If i was to take out a Canadian starter on D, It wouldn't be Hurl or Westerman that's for sure. 

I'm not ripping Hurl. the guy plays hard but I think we're asking a lot of him & my question was why are we committed to starting a Canadian at MLB when that position is almost always American? I agree with 17 that we don't have enough quality Canadians to start 8. 

I think Stoudemire is still good, last week he had a nice return which set up the willy to adams TD but... at times it looks like he has very little blocking or if he does have blocking, they are more in the way than making holes for him, tough to tell on TV since you don't get the over head angle but i'd suspect he has very little room to actually do anything. 

Don't get the HURL ripping, i'd get it the first couple games but the last few he's been solid, he's not a bighill or elimimian, he's not a henoc or anything like that but the guy does make plays out there, had a very solid hustle play last night, went for the blitz i believe, didn't get it in time, collaros passed the ball off, the tackle on that play was made by HURL, almost immediately really. He's been getting better, i know people look at stats and all that but... i don't think the stats tell you the whole story... pretty tough to get on any of the LBS after last night, ticats only had what? 55 yards rushing? That's a damn good day really.  I don't think he's your prototypical middle linebacker either, i'm not sure, but... when i think Middle Linebacker i think run stopper really but.. it seems HURL is being used more in blitz packages which leaves BASS to come in and get all the glory stats. I dunno tho but thought HURL has been pretty good the last few weeks now. 

Or i guess, I'll say it like this, I don't think HURL is the biggest problem on D, i think the biggest problem on D is our Canadian DB..

I'll say this much, If i was to take out a Canadian starter on D, It wouldn't be Hurl or Westerman that's for sure. 

I'm not ripping Hurl. the guy plays hard but I think we're asking a lot of him & my question was why are we committed to starting a Canadian at MLB when that position is almost always American? I agree with 17 that we don't have enough quality Canadians to start 8. 

That's probably because the Bombers is paying him big bucks.

Interesting numbers here.

7 sacks but these 5 were when Willy played

Sack 1- 5 Blockers 4 Rushers. Sacked in 2.7 seconds

2- 5 vs 5. 2.4 secs

3- 5 vs 6. 1.4 secs

4- 5 vs 5. 1.7 secs

5- 7 vs 5. 3.1 secs but wanted to throw at 2.2

That's insane. He gets no time back there to throw at all.

4 steamboats my ass. Barely 2 seconds on average really.

Weak Link? There it is. It's the oline. Like 2 seconds or less to throw. 1.4 and 1.7 secs and you are Sacked? That's really awful protection... basically none at all.

That's probably because the Bombers is paying him big bucks.

Not stirring the pot here, but that was part of the signing. Rider offered him basically decent backup money around 120 IIRC and the Bombers gave him 135'ish I think to be a starter. As much as some don't want to say it, every team does it. There isn't a GM in the league that from time to time doesn't stick with a certain player to justify the signing. IMHO Hurl has played better of late but has been mediocre at best on the season. Can he improve as season goes on with more time, maybe he can if he does his salary will be a steal.  

Lobocop was good but... couldn't stay healthy. If you don't think Hurl has played better recently... I dunno what to say. Not making him out to be the best ever but I'm not sure how he's the weak link when Bucknor gets beat 2 maybe 3 times a game for a TD. 55 yards rushing against last night suggests Hurl and the LBS had a good game. I'm not sure why you comparing him to these players anyways. He's not that guy but then again how many are really. Think you look at stats too much here. Yup hurls stats aren't great but it seems he's not asked to make 1000 tackles a game. If you actually watch him he's actually playing quite well out there recently.

I'm just saying it's not fair to single out individual players when football is dependent on a number of moving parts. The o-line is just a part of the offense, as are the RB's, receivers and qb, one part breaks down, a receiver or back missing a chip or block and the o-line players can't do anything about it. Of course it all starts with execution by the players but when they don't know their assignments, then you have to questioning the coaching and if the players are even listening to them.