Election 2015

FrostyWinnipeg

A two-way race between the Liberals and Conservatives continues, with the NDP nine points behind the front-runners, according to the latest tracking by Nanos Research for CTV News and the Globe and Mail.

The latest numbers, which were released on Oct. 7, show:

The Liberals at 34.3 per cent support nationally

The Conservatives at 32.1 per cent

The NDP at 23.0

The Greens at 4.6

***what a decline by the NDP. Who will be looking for a job first, Mulcair or Harper?

NDP vote splitting helped the CPC last time - no such luck this time

Sort of interesting how people are diving off the titanic.  I didnt see the last couple of debates but some comments I read were that Mulcair was "nicer" in his exchanges whereas Trudea was interrupting and talking over...guess that works.  People either tune out the loudest voice or hear the loudest voice.

But with polls so close, you just never know.  I suspect a minority either way.  If Liberals get a minority, Harper steps down and it paves the way for a Liberal majority and a Conservative re-build which is unfortunate. 

It's very interesting how the payouts are being handled right before an election.  The story I watched on the news last night said that dairy farmers will get a payout without having to prove they lost one cent.  The farmer that was interviewed said while they might not grow as fast as previously anticipated, they don't expect to lose any market share yet will still get compensation.  Compare that  with fisherman affected by the EU trade deal last year, who don't get a dime until they can prove they actually lost something.

It's very interesting how the payouts are being handled right before an election.  The story I watched on the news last night said that dairy farmers will get a payout without having to prove they lost one cent.  The farmer that was interviewed said while they might not grow as fast as previously anticipated, they don't expect to lose any market share yet will still get compensation.  Compare that  with fisherman affected by the EU trade deal last year, who don't get a dime until they can prove they actually lost something.

The more I read about this deal, the more it fits with rural ridings being strong CPC supporters. Harpers already upset some of his support base by taking away the wheat board's monopoly. Whether or not the pay out for dairy farmers is warranted (the wheat board issue is debatable) the CPC simply could not afford to upset their support base again.

When making an agreement with multiple nations it's never going to be perfect. If it was then the other countries lost

Canada sits at the big boy table which is Strange because I thought Harper couldn't do that. Oh well. Most of the coverage has been strong support for the deal

The winners and losers have little to do with the individual countries involved.  The TPP like all other free trade agreements before it mainly opens the door to unfettered market access for multi-national corporations.  The Mom and Pop dairy farm (which we like) will become a thing of the past for the most part only to be replaced by industrial scale dairy ops (which we hate). Betsy can kiss the sun goodbye for evermore but I for one, can hardly wait to save $2.00 on that swell Chinese ice cream!

Unfortunately common sense will never trump the dollar.

When making an agreement with multiple nations it's never going to be perfect. If it was then the other countries lost

Canada sits at the big boy table which is Strange because I thought Harper couldn't do that. Oh well. Most of the coverage has been strong support for the deal

The winners and losers have little to do with the individual countries involved. The TPP like all other free trade agreements before it mainly opens the door to unfettered market access for multi-national corporations. The Mom and Pop dairy farm (which we like) will become a thing of the past for the most part only to be replaced by industrial scale dairy ops (which we hate). Betsy can kiss the sun goodbye for evermore but I for one, can hardly wait to save $2.00 on that swell Chinese ice cream!

How? Dairy is going to face at best very muted external competition and they are getting compensated for that handsomely

I don't claim to know a lot about this deal, but it sounds like dairy farmers are making out like bandits. They gave up barely any market share and are getting a massive payout from the gov't for it.

And drugs are going to be priced like the US. Very scary.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/business/robert-reich-saving-capitalism-tpp-1.3256940

"Contrary to the conventional view of an American economy bubbling with innovative small companies, the reality is quite different," Reich writes. 

And although we are only beginning to understand the details — mostly because the Trans-Pacific Partnership was negotiated away from the prying eyes of voters — one of the main criticisms of international trade deals like the TPP is that the main beneficiaries are large corporations, not ordinary citizens.

"Negotiators worked overtime on terms to please multinational corporations — under close consultation with those same corporations. But there was no consultation with labour or civil society groups," says a release from the Trade Justice Network, a group that opposes the deal.

Rigged game

In left-leaning circles, the conventional view is that creating equality requires redistribution of wealth from the rich to the poor. Reich says the real problem is something he calls "pre-distribution."

By lobbying for laws such as those that make life-saving pharmaceuticals expensive and technological patents unbreakable, large corporations and their teams of lawyers rig the game in their favour long before the issue of redistribution arises.

Drug companies are rewarded not for inventing drugs but for extending the exclusivity of existing drugs. (The TPP does exactly that.) Companies like Google, Amazon and Apple capture the value of patents and then are rewarded for "strategic litigation" to prevent anyone else from using them.

Because these advantages are constructed into the very fabric of the government and its rules, advocates of the "free market" fail to realize the winners have already been selected by the process of pre-distribution.

"The idea of a free market separate and distinct from government has functioned as a useful cover for those who do not want the market mechanism fully exposed,"

The winners and losers have little to do with the individual countries involved. The TPP like all other free trade agreements before it mainly opens the door to unfettered market access for multi-national corporations. The Mom and Pop dairy farm (which we like) will become a thing of the past for the most part only to be replaced by industrial scale dairy ops (which we hate). Betsy can kiss the sun goodbye for evermore but I for one, can hardly wait to save $2.00 on that swell Chinese ice cream!

How? Dairy is going to face at best very muted external competition and they are getting compensated for that handsomely

That's in the short-term, they are playing a long-term game with these deals.

Curious: what's LPC seat projection at this point?

Liberals have 120 seats on the poll tracker.

And team New Dumb is down to 84 seats and dropping, daily.  So happy to see that....

Some people like bashing Trudeau but he's done well and is winning Liberal seats back.

Curious: what's LPC seat projection at this point?

Liberals have 120 seats on the poll tracker.

And team New Dumb is down to 84 seats and dropping, daily.  So happy to see that....

Some people like bashing Trudeau but he's done well and is winning Liberal seats back.

He's pretty deserving of the bashing.  He has no substance to anything he says.  But never discount the voters who dont know/dont care about the issues and see a young, good looking guy with a name they recognize. 

But his rise has also corresponded to the decline in the NDP.  The benefit of the Liberals is they can draw from both factions of undecided or disillusioned who dont want to switch all the way right or all the way left.  He's seen as the safe place to park a vote. 

Harper riding on the coat tails of a balanced budget seems disingenuous at best as it took him 8 years and some backwards somersaults to achieve that mark for the first time in his reign and during that time he ran record setting deficits.  Doesn't matter who is elected, I don't believe a balanced budget is in the cards for the next couple of years anyway.

Unknown, I don't agree with all of the liberals's policies, but if the election were today, I would likely vote for Trudeau. Does that mean I don't know/don't care about the issues?

I dont know. Do you?

I never specified all voters.  But there is always a lot of voters that will vote for style over substance.  And the Liberals know that and run ads to capitalize on it.

I think you need to reexamine things, if you see that as a liberal tactic rather than a political tactic that the Conservatives are just as guilty of.

You think the Cons are guilty of playing on voters' desire/admiration of someone's physical attractiveness, specifically the party leader?

If you think the Cons are using Harper's sex appeal to score votes then you're either very wrong or perhaps an elderly lady.  Not that Harper's a bad looking guy but he's no Justin!  lol

For the record, it's a great tactic by the Liberals.