Earlier CFL season gaining traction

Calgary Stampeders President Gordon Norrie made the following statement.

“There’s actual traction at the league level,” Norrie said this week. “It’s pretty much unanimous amongst the teams. We’re working with a couple of our partners that also have a stake in it, namely TSN, so it’s still very much at the top of the priorities of all the teams.

“For the most part right now, the topic is ending the season sooner. Once we get everybody involved that has an issue or has a stake in it, then we’ll start to work out the details.”

While the players are fine with earning a paycheque in any type of weather, the changes are being looked at with the fans in mind.

Yesterday at CFL HQ - "Okay Gord, you're in charge of leaking this out and I'll spend the next few days pretending to be mad at you for letting it slip out.  You know, the 'behind closed doors' routine.  Then we can spend the next few months lurking on the interwebs and reading the reaction of the journalynchmob before we make any actual decisions."

Glad this conversation has received it's "official" start, there will be complications like the draft but I believe the benefits outweigh the negatives and I expect the CFL to implement the earlier start within a few seasons.  League wide, colder weather equates to large number of no-shows and poor walk-ups which hurts concession and merchandise sales.

Definitely would rather be sitting outside watching football right now rather then late october/November.

In guess their key consideration might be the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

With TSN no longer owning NHL rights, you'd think they wouldn't mind competing with the Stanley Cup Finals.

Training camp in May could be dicey for some teams. Recall we had snowfall on may long.

It's called the Golf dome.  Hello..

;)

Well then good thing they're wearing helmets because I'm usually ripping drives around the time they'd be holding practices.

Training camp in May could be dicey for some teams. Recall we had snowfall on may long.

It's called the Golf dome.  Hello..

;)

Well then good thing they're wearing helmets because I'm usually ripping drives around the time they'd be holding practices.

That just helps them run faster.

Moving the schedule up week or two I'd be fine with, 3-4 weeks would be too much IMO. Going back to each team only seeing 1 bye week would probably also help, however with the current 9 team set up, we might be a ways away from that one.

The CFL could also look at whether training camp needs to be as long as it is...maybe shave a week off main TC?  With the number of veterans taking a week off anyways for "injuries", it seems most veterans don't need it to be as long. 

But ya, I'd like to see more warm weather games and the Grey Cup played no later than mid November. 

The CFL could also look at whether training camp needs to be as long as it is...maybe shave a week off main TC?  With the number of veterans taking a week off anyways for "injuries", it seems most veterans don't need it to be as long. 

But ya, I'd like to see more warm weather games and the Grey Cup played no later than mid November. 

People already complain that the first couple games are glorified exhibition games and you want to shorten preseason even more?

The CFL could also look at whether training camp needs to be as long as it is...maybe shave a week off main TC? With the number of veterans taking a week off anyways for "injuries", it seems most veterans don't need it to be as long.

But ya, I'd like to see more warm weather games and the Grey Cup played no later than mid November.

People already complain that the first couple games are glorified exhibition games and you want to shorten preseason even more?
Not fewer games, but maybe less practice time. Maybe start rookie camp earlier as veterans don't seem to need/want as much practice time during TC. I'm just looking for some creative solutions, unlike you who just likes to complain.

Definitely would rather be sitting outside watching football right now rather then late october/November.

In guess their key consideration might be the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

With TSN no longer owning NHL rights, you'd think they wouldn't mind competing with the Stanley Cup Finals.

Starting the regular season two weeks in advance won't interfere with the Stanley Cup Playoffs, maybe one or two NHL games at most.  Just have to try the first week of CFL games to coincide with off days for the Stanley Cup finals...and since the finals always seem to have a game each Saturday, schedule the first CFl games on a Fri and Sunday.

I think this is a great idea.  Moving the schedule up two weeks would allow the Grey Cup to be played around November 10 -14th.  This won't entirely eliminate the chance of the Grey Cup being played in minus 10 or worse temperatures, but it will reduce the likelihood by several percentage points.