CFL Capgeek

peggars

with the cap increase starting to see more positional players salaries reported in the news when previously it was just QBs, im sure if you compiled all of the reported salaries there would be a decent amount. 

The problem with doing something like this is the roster is so large and the salaries of most non-star players never get discussed in the media.  Jake Thomas, for example.  I could conceive of salary structures that range by $40,000, and both would make sense to me.  Knowing the salaries of Willy, Moore, Picard, etc, is only half the battle.  The other half, the Teague Sherman's of the CFL, are much harder to nail down.  And if you're throwing darts for 20 to 30 players, there's really no point in this at all.  The margin for error becomes huge.

But the thing that made capgeek so good for NHL matters is that they had all the contract details of everyone. If it was just a case of "well we heard Crosby was in the neighbourhood of 8 million and Toews and Kane were around 10 million"  it's not so effective right? 

I think it's a cool idea but it's got a long long way to go to become relevant in my opinion. I heard maybe bauming say he has something like 20 of 500 players salaries listed? Long long way to go for sure.  As a side note, Gonna admit that i really could care less what these guys are making, they aren't making millions like nfl or nhl or nba players or even soccer players, They are making well, some of them are making basically what some of us do for a full year of work for 6 months, It's not as fascinating to me to know that I'm being paid similar to a football player in the CFL..

I'm honestly not to sure why so many people seem to need to know how much somebody else makes. 

But the thing that made capgeek so good for NHL matters is that they had all the contract details of everyone. If it was just a case of "well we heard Crosby was in the neighbourhood of 8 million and Toews and Kane were around 10 million"  it's not so effective right? 

And in the NHL it matters.  This would do little more than satisfy the curious.  In football you can just cut a guy, boom, whatever was left on the contract just goes away.  There are no long term consequences for a bad contract.  You might miss out on a free agent that year.  Or pay a penalty for that year.  And then the slate is wiped clean again.

Problem is, nobody has a 100% accurate contract number for anyone. They're not made public. So any numbers listed on that site are pure speculation from someone, even the media.

Same goes for the NHL, and Capgeek worked.  It was all pieced together from sources, the NHL doesn't publish salary and contract info.  The problem for a CFL version will be a very shallow pool of sources, but if they use some of the better beat reporters and get some inside stuff from agents, it could be interesting.

I could swear that NHL salaries are published/made public.........

They aren't, and apparently the NHL wasn't even sure where CapGeek was getting its info, but he obviously had inside contacts.

Often times the total salary value / cap hit is made known (released to media) during a signings, but bonuses and year to year salary structure is not always released.  

There are other sites out there that have NHL salary information, like www.nhlnumbers.com , but I've heard it said that they sourced their data from CapGeek.   It will be a very interesting UFA period to see if these other sites can get accurate info.

If the NHL was smart, they would replace CapGeek on their own website (though I think they would need the NHLPA to agree).  

I know of many long term "dynasty" hockey pools that use player salaries and make people adhere to a league cap.   A lot of those may have to change how they do things if salaries aren't readily available.

CapGeek had done a lot for interest in the league and for media. That exposure only helps the interest and ratings in the NHL.

They are reported because national media (all the "insiders") are all over it and get the numbers from teams, the PA and agents.  Pretty much the same as the CFL, just that millions more people care and there are hundreds of reporters sniffing around instead of maybe a dozen.

They aren't, and apparently the NHL wasn't even sure where CapGeek was getting its info, but he obviously had inside contacts.

There are other sites out there that have NHL salary information, like www.nhlnumbers.com , but I've heard it said that they sourced their data from CapGeek.   It will be a very interesting UFA period to see if these other sites can get accurate info.

If the NHL was smart, they would replace CapGeek on their own website (though I think they would need the NHLPA to agree).  

I know of many long term "dynasty" hockey pools that use player salaries and make people adhere to a league cap.   A lot of those may have to change how they do things if salaries aren't readily available.

CapGeek had done a lot for interest in the league and for media. That exposure only helps the interest and ratings in the NHL.

No kidding.  Lots of money to be made there.  Bettman was very adamant that the league would never do that though when asked directly.

well if you look today there was a some twitter interactions with this site's twitter account and some bomber reporters and low and behold they have 25 reported salaries for the Bombers, granted some of them are errors like Denmark who i thought made around 130,000-150,000

But my reason for wanting salaries published is not so much to know what guys make but hopefully that upper tier contracts that are published might push more guys to come to the CFL than NFL practice squad/3rd string minimum salary guys who might get a season or two, if they know they can make decent money here after their entry level contracts expire

well if you look today there was a some twitter interactions with this site's twitter account and some bomber reporters and low and behold they have 25 reported salaries for the Bombers, granted some of them are errors like Denmark who i thought made around 130,000-150,000

But my reason for wanting salaries published is not so much to know what guys make but hopefully that upper tier contracts that are published might push more guys to come to the CFL than NFL practice squad/3rd string minimum salary guys who might get a season or two, if they know they can make decent money here after their entry level contracts expire

Their agents know, the players know.

on a broader spectrum?  you still hear players up here talk about having to instill that this is a legitimate league to guys down south

Well, you're comparing potential millions to tens of thousands and the league they've dreamed their whole lives of playing in versus a league in Canada which might as well be the North Pole to a lot of Americans.  Printing the salaries on the front page of every Canadian newspaper won't change that.