Frolik Conundrum

I can see Buff potentially being traded because of the depth on D.

No way Ladd is traded before the season starts even if doesn't sign.

Our forward depth isn't there to do it. And depending what is coming back, if we trade both and take $10M out of our lineup we are in danger of not reaching the cap floor.

Trade an elite, unique, 'puts bums in seats'  type player in his prime for a player who probably isn't in his prime. Does not compute.

Where did I say I want to trade him for a player who isn't in his prime?  You are probably getting a good 3rd line forward (maybe 2nd), a prospect, and a pick.  Either way we need the depth on forward more than a D-man right now.  

Unfortunately we also need roster players more than we need prospects right now. But you can always package up prospects in a trade.

But if Buff's camp is standing pat on wanting a 6 - 7 year deal, than the Jets have a choice to make:

A - Sign him to that deal and likely regret it for the last 3 - 4 years as an ageing Buff deteriorates fast.

B - Trade him

C - Keep him next year and lose him in free agency

Given those options, I would be fine with either B or C.   I would absolutely hate it if we gave Buff, a 260+ pound man with a history of not being in the best of shape and working out, a deal that would take him to 36+ years of age making 7+ million dollars (probably higher), regardless of how unique he is or how many bums he puts into a guaranteed sold out arena.

I never said you personally want him traded. i was reacting to your speculation, hence the bolded part. Also, I keep reading about his fitness. I don't have the exact stats on me, but he seemed to be able to play a higher amount of minutes for us this past season. Ironically he was being criticized for taking too long of shifts. We're both guessing on which route he takes as he gets older. You assume his history will dictate that, fair enough. I assume he's a competitor and will commit to being fit at the level he needs to be a impact player. 

And he puts bums in seats in other arenas as well.

Our forward depth isn't there to do it. And depending what is coming back, if we trade both and take $10M out of our lineup we are in danger of not reaching the cap floor.

Trade an elite, unique, 'puts bums in seats'  type player in his prime for a player who probably isn't in his prime. Does not compute.

Where did I say I want to trade him for a player who isn't in his prime?  You are probably getting a good 3rd line forward (maybe 2nd), a prospect, and a pick.  Either way we need the depth on forward more than a D-man right now.  

Unfortunately we also need roster players more than we need prospects right now. But you can always package up prospects in a trade.

But if Buff's camp is standing pat on wanting a 6 - 7 year deal, than the Jets have a choice to make:

A - Sign him to that deal and likely regret it for the last 3 - 4 years as an ageing Buff deteriorates fast.

B - Trade him

Given those options, I would be fine with either B or C.   I would absolutely hate it if we gave Buff, a 260+ pound man with a history of not being in the best of shape and working out, a deal that would take him to 36+ years of age making 7+ million dollars (probably higher), regardless of how unique he is or how many bums he puts into a guaranteed sold out arena.

I never said you personally want him traded. i was reacting to your speculation, hence the bolded part. Also, I keep reading about his fitness. I don't have the exact stats on me, but he seemed to be able to play a higher amount of minutes for us this past season. Ironically he was being criticized for taking too long of shifts. We're both guessing on which route he takes as he gets older. You assume his history will dictate that, fair enough. I assume he's a competitor and will commit to being fit at the level he needs to be a impact player. 

So you would be fine committing $7 - 8M annually for 7 - 8 years?

B - Trade him

And he will still do that if he plays for another team.  It isn't the Jets job to fill others teams arenas.  Their job is to utilize their cap and budget to play the best team they can.

B - Trade him

Good question. If I was GM, I would try to sign him to a three to four year deal 24-32 million.

Has his agent formally asked for an 7-8 year deal? If so, no I would not sign him for that long. 

B - Trade him

And he will still do that if he plays for another team.  It isn't the Jets job to fill others teams arenas.  Their job is to utilize their cap and budget to play the best team they can.

Yes thank you, remarkibly I'm aware of that. I'm just saying he's good for the health of the league and a marketing tool for the jets.

B - Trade him

Good question. If I was GM, I would try to sign him to a three to four year deal 24-32 million.

Has his agent formally asked for an 7-8 year deal? If so, no I would not sign him for that long. 

I'd be fine with that term and dollar value as well.

But there have been rumblings that he will be looking for longer.  Could just be media speculation though.  

Ladd will sign long term. Just a matter of a few days. Buff could be moved if he wants too much. Ladd is the captain and face of the team. If jets could only sign one it's Ladd every time. Not to mention the whole trouba Myers top 2 RHD thing

Jets don't need Buff to sell tickets.

No doubt. What a silly thing to say really. That one made me go hmm for sure. Honestly trading buff is probably the best move for the long term of the franchise. Keeping him and letting him walk for free tho. Yikes. Decision needs to be made on buff b4 start of season.

Once again... I have full faith in Chevy and his decisions.      I'd imagine that he won't either sign Buff long term or else get good assets at the deadline for him regardless if we are in a play off race or not.  

Teams will be throwing A LOT at the deadline to get a guy who brings his unique qualities.     Heck maybe the Jets make a big trade and then re-sign him after the season is over!  

They for sure don't need to make the decision before the season starts...he'd still bring top dollar at the deadline.

If he doesn't re-sign for what Chevy wants, it is wise to trade hi as soon as possible.

A 2nd liner and a 1st and 3rd sound fair.

They are crazy if they wait for the deadline because then they end up in the Frolik conundrum. Do you trade a guy you need for your own playoff push and the damage it does to the team psyche to trade a top guy in a playoff battle? Or keep him and lose him for nothing? You can't be in that position.

I disagree, I think any desperate team will offer more at the dead line.

You don't HAVE to wait for the deadline....maybe after the gm's see what they have and what they need come mid-December or so, but really, you'll get top dollar for Buff most any time of the season.

4 years for 32m, sign here.

Friedman's 30 thoughts

25. Tried to piece together how close Winnipeg came to re-signing Michael Frolik because it’s clear GM Kevin Cheveldayoff was frustrated. Agent Allan Walsh wouldn’t comment, but a couple teams suspected the Jets offered four years at $16 million before free agency began, then talked about the possibility of $4.25M per, although I’m not sure it actually got there. There was at least one offer higher than Calgary's. I wondered if it was New Jersey, because Walsh has a good history with Ray Shero, but that’s purely a guess. He’s an excellent fit for the Flames. Frolik’s departure could be a gift for Alexander Burmistrov, who wants a top-nine role. Yes, he’s normally a centre, but can play wing. This is a relationship that needs some trust built back into it, and stepping into the void would be a good start. The Jets may also give a long look to Joel Armia, acquired in the Evander Kane trade.

***Some speculation i read was Frolik's agent was trying to work Chevy into a bigger offer.  Once Chevy signed Stafford, he limited the agent's leverage.  All things being mostly equal, Frlik chose the city/team he wanted.  This is especially true if he turned down better offers to go to Calgary.