Bombers sign long-snapper Chad Rempel & Release Others...

Mike

Blue Bombers ink Rempel & Willie

WINNIPEG, MB – The Winnipeg Blue Bombers announce the additions of veteran National long snapper/receiver Chad Rempel, and International receiver Mike Willie.

Rempel (6-3, 225, Saskatchewan, May 23, 1981, in Sherwood Park, AB) has played 125 career CFL games, nine of which came with the Blue Bombers in his rookie season of 2005. Rempel moved on to play seven seasons for Toronto, and one for Hamilton (2008), before spending the 2013 season with the Chicago Bears. He returned to the CFL for the last half of the 2014 season with Saskatchewan. The 2015 season will be Rempel’s 11th in the CFL.

Willie (6-2, 220, Arizona State, June 17, 1990, in Compton, CA) played two years at Arizona State, and caught 72 passes for 897 yards and nine touchdowns. He went undrafted in 2012, and was signed as a free agent by San Diego, earning a practice roster spot. He had a minicamp tryout with Baltimore in 2014, before signing in Winnipeg.

The club also released the following five players:

International defensive back Ryan Steed

International defensive back Gabe Lynn

International defensive lineman Kheeston Randall

International receiver David Gettis

International offensive lineman David Mims

I like the signing of an experienced long snapper. Especially with the issues we had last year when Wild was out.

The cuts of Lynn and Stead don't surprise me. Mims does but just because he was highly touted on the fan boards. Randall is a little surprising, seemed like an intriguing prospect.

Remple is a nice pick-up..Riders are turning greener and greener with every player that's walked over to the bluengold side...Like others have said Mims is a surprise...big man but the coaches must have seen something they didn't like???

AND so is it ...Willy to Willie....lol

Love the signing of Rempel. That's a huge signing for sure. The releases? Gets a big meh from me, i suppose they didn't show very well at rookie camp. It is what it is i guess. Mims was loved on the board here only due to his size i guess but i guess he either struggled big time or the other oline they brought in are just better than he is. 

It's interesting that the 2 "biggest" guys were let go, perhaps too big for the CFL? or perhaps just a little bit out of shape? I dunno but it makes you wonder, 6'5 mountain mims and and even bigger randall, makes you wonder if sometimes these guys are just too big or too slow for the CFL. 

I think Cronk and Fitz are gone. Fitz seems like a bad pick.

I'd hope they keep Cronk around just in case. We gave up a lot of points last year on long snapping errors once Wild got injured.

They can just keep his agents number too.  There are a lot of guys around who can long snap.  The Bombers made a choice last season to not use a roster spot on a guy who exclusively long snaps.  They don't need to pay a long snapper to not play.

It's interesting that the 2 "biggest" guys were let go, perhaps too big for the CFL? or perhaps just a little bit out of shape? I dunno but it makes you wonder, 6'5 mountain mims and and even bigger randall, makes you wonder if sometimes these guys are just too big or too slow for the CFL.

As I understand it..there is a food budget for training camp.

I think Cronk and Fitz are gone. Fitz seems like a bad pick.

I'd hope they keep Cronk around just in case. We gave up a lot of points last year on long snapping errors once Wild got injured.

They can just keep his agents number too. There are a lot of guys around who can long snap. The Bombers made a choice last season to not use a roster spot on a guy who exclusively long snaps. They don't need to pay a long snapper to not play.

True, but then someone else can pick him up. Long snapping is just such an important position that it'd be nice to have a little insurance. But I definetely hear you.

Experts? LOL pretty sure everyone on here is just a fan and we all know it really. Nobody is an expert really. 

Just curious there Brandon? Did you predict a roster?  And honestly who is calling anybody an expert? It seems to me that this is just a fan board, we have no say in what the team does or doesn't do. 

Who is this "they"? 

Experts? LOL pretty sure everyone on here is just a fan and we all know it really. Nobody is an expert really.

Just curious there Brandon? Did you predict a roster? And honestly who is calling anybody an expert? It seems to me that this is just a fan board, we have no say in what the team does or doesn't do.

Who is this "they"?

I think he's referring to the "Predict your starting lineup" thread.

Just curious there Brandon? Did you predict a roster? And honestly who is calling anybody an expert? It seems to me that this is just a fan board, we have no say in what the team does or doesn't do.

Who is this "they"?

I think he's referring to the "Predict your starting lineup" thread.

While I think it's silly to try and predict a starting roster before camp even starts, I get that people do it for fun.

Calling out people for their missed pre-camp predictions done entirely for fun?  That's a whole new level of silly.  A really dumb level.

So this is what it feels like to have a GM who wants to win.  Feels nice.

There is a certain understanding here, that we Bomber fans are starting to feel comfortable with…after the many expectations and disappointments that we've been through, that we're on the right path.

Yes, it feels nice.