TSN Pre-season Coverage (no Bombers)

Atomic

Setting Bob Irving aside as he is one of the best has anyone else found CJOBs broadcast getting tired.The fact they don't send an entire crew toroad games just smacks of penny pinching.I enjoy Doug Browns articles but he seems to try to hard on air . I've found myself doing the 1290 pregame but wishing Irving was there.Am I alone?

Setting Bob Irving aside as he is one of the best has anyone else found CJOBs broadcast getting tired.The fact they don't send an entire crew toroad games just smacks of penny pinching.I enjoy Doug Browns articles but he seems to try to hard on air . I've found myself doing the 1290 pregame but wishing Irving was there.Am I alone?

I'd agree with this.   On the post game show, after the coach's interview, I will move to TSN1290.  And don't get me started on the number of commercials they play.

Agree with your points on CJOB, but for me, TSN is no better. They really subscribe to the American/ESPN -style of broadcasting where it's all about the flash and no real meat. Lotta yelling and trying to manufacture excitement, but I just want someone to tell me what's happening. No zany catch phrases, no gimmicks....just tell me what's happening. That's all I want. Irving is a broadcasting god. Nobody in the city, any sport, is even close to the guy.

I'd agree with this.   On the post game show, after the coach's interview, I will move to TSN1290.  And don't get me started on the number of commercials they play.

There's a reason they're able to play so many commercials.......massive listenership.

Whenever the next TV contract comes up, broadcasting preseason games should be mandatory.

TSN has five freaking channels. I understand the money aspect of producing a football game and especially preseason, but you think it would help grow the game. Doesn't even have to be a full production either.

There's a reason they're able to play so many commercials.......massive listenership.

Yeah I don't understand how they get the ratings to do.  

Because they're f***ing good.....I don't listen to Wpg radio, obviously, but I know they're the best station in the city for a reason (tho CBC just beat 'em in the ratings for the first time in forever...)

If you are talking cjob their ratings are on a steady decline as I understand it.I just know my own opinion and it seems Bob spends large parts of the show trying to hold it togeather.Seems like a shame to me that he has to do it.

Because they're f***ing good.....I don't listen to Wpg radio, obviously, but I know they're the best station in the city for a reason (tho CBC just beat 'em in the ratings for the first time in forever...)

(tho CBC just beat 'em in the ratings for the first time in forever...)

where do you  find the ratings?

I wonder how 1290 morning from 6 to 11 does.

This isn't broken down by time slots, but it doesn't do as well as you'd think.   Although if you were to poll people on this site, I'm sure it would be much higher.

http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/local/News-talk-radio-still-at-the-top-of-Winnipeg-radio-ratings-284097731.html

Sports Talk Radio is always among the lowest rated stations in any market. That TSN was middle of the pack for 12+ is actually pretty good. And Lawless was tweeting today that they were #1 M18-49 (something like that) for their call-in show 4-6pm, or whatever it is, so that's good for them. They're making great strides. That's gotta be the most people have ever listened to 1290 on the dial in its entire run. 

Not to derail this thread, but I am consistently amazed at how QX104 dominates FM/Music based stations. Winnipeg just doesn't seem like a real Country kinda city. I always thought Classic Rock would kill all in Winnipeg. I mean, Winnipeg as a city is really stuck in 1984, right?

Corus has basically committed ratings suicide in Winnipeg.  Fire all the popular hosts, flip to a format that is already saturated in the city, and create shows that are grating to listen to (CJOB from 9 am to 3 PM).  Every one of their stations is last place in its category and losing ground.

Corus has basically committed ratings suicide in Winnipeg.  Fire all the popular hosts, flip to a format that is already saturated in the city, and create shows that are grating to listen to (CJOB from 9 am to 3 PM).  Every one of their stations is last place in it's category and losing ground.

As an outsider, I have no idea if any of that is true or not, but as someone who is extremely nerdy about this sort of thing, I sit with my bucket of popcorn and enjoy the show...

Sports Talk Radio is always among the lowest rated stations in any market. That TSN was middle of the pack for 12+ is actually pretty good. And Lawless was tweeting today that they were #1 M18-49 (something like that) for their call-in show 4-6pm, or whatever it is, so that's good for them. They're making great strides. That's gotta be the most people have ever listened to 1290 on the dial in its entire run. 

Not to derail this thread, but I am consistently amazed at how QX104 dominates FM/Music based stations. Winnipeg just doesn't seem like a real Country kinda city. I always thought Classic Rock would kill all in Winnipeg. I mean, Winnipeg as a city is really stuck in 1984, right?

Part of it is a lack of radio competition. Country fans will pretty much listen to QX, where as "classic" rock fans might listen to CITI or one of the 3-4 "all eras" stations like BIG 97, BOB, or FAB.

None of my favourite music is on the radio, outside of a 3-hour block on CBC Radio 2, so for me it's usually college radio or the music on my phone.

I'm also impressed with 1290's ratings, especially remembering how the former sports talk radio version of 1290 did back a decade ago. TSN's brand, along with the obvious Jets rights, definitely help things. But considering they repeat and syndicate a lot of their content, it's still surprising to see it that high.

since power97 folded and big97 came about ive nearly stopped listening to the radio entirely and been dustin off the ol cds. or listen to sirus, lithium, octane, liquid metal get my attention.  

All in all i f***ing hate wpg radio now.  92 wouldnt be so bad if every other song wasnt jukebox hero or looks that kill by motley crew

since power97 folded and big97 came about ive nearly stopped listening to the radio entirely and been dustin off the ol cds. or listen to sirus, lithium, octane, liquid metal get my attention.  

All in all i f***ing hate wpg radio now.  92 wouldnt be so bad if every other song wasnt jukebox hero or looks that kill by motley crew

Love satellite radio (Hairnation, Lithium, Ozzy's bone yard, Octane).

Gonna be honest. The radio sucks for music and a lot of that has to do with the fact there is no good music anymore. The reality is rock is dead and the radio has rarely to never played punk music like bad religion or pennywise.

Gonna be honest. The radio sucks for music and a lot of that has to do with the fact there is no good music anymore. The reality is rock is dead and the radio has rarely to never played punk music like bad religion or pennywise.

couldn't be further from the truth there is very good music out there we just never see it in Canada because of our horrible radio rules if you go even into North Dakota or Minneapolis and catch a rock and roll radio station there is tons of good stuff out there. sorry for poor formatting of this post, my android voice to text blows

truth be told.. Music in Winnipeg has been lagging behind pretty much everywhere for like the last decade...

does being too old to get up and change the radio dial really count as massive listenership though?

Funny that you say that... CITI is on in the background at the office right now and that song was just on about 15 mins ago...