2015 Expectations

It's exiting to speculate how 2015 will unfold for the Bombers. Lots of new and interesting players under contract equals tough competition for jobs: some good players are not going to make this team. Sophomore season for MOS and a new and very experienced DC should spell fewer points against. It'll be interesting to see the league implement the new rule changes and to see the evolution of our CFL game - hopefully the changes are for the better. Who will be our kick returner(s) and have we found someone unforgettable there? Not really sure about our OC or Drew Willy but holding out hope that they will surprise. What will be the impact of a 'Thunder & Lighting' 2-back set? If we get a 1000 yard rusher and at least one 1000 yard receiver then we should make the playoffs where anything can happen. Go Bombers!

Hey Everyone!

I for one am excited for the upcoming 2015 season.  I'm anxiously awaiting kickoff.   I want to point out that I am thrilled with all the work that Walters has done in trying to rebuild this team from laughing stock to respectability.  I'm curious to know what people's expectations for the 2015 season are.  Last year was a good year, and there will be lots to build off.   Does anyone think it's possible we can be playing for the Grey Cup in our backyard?    I realize that in a 9-team league, the Bombers could go to the dance, but I'm wondering would that pressure hurt or help the Bombers this year?

Personally with all the new personnel in place, and all the new acquisitions, I thinking we'll be a .500 team this year.    There's a lot to be said about chemistry tjos year and with so many new faces, I think it'll take us 2-3 games before we get to see what the Bombers are made of.  I like the additions of the o-line, and they should defintiely keep Willy on his feet... but I hope Wiily starts getting rid of the ball a bit quicker and learsn to throw balls away.  I'd rather see a ball thrown out of bounds, then him getting sacked trying to make a play.

Anyways lets hear your thoughts Bomber fans?   What's going to be our achilles heel this year?   What will be our biggest strength?

Cheers!  I can't wait for kickoff!

I love your enthusiasm, but a few things I've learned over the years:

1) Pressure and expectations never help.  Especially with a young team. 

2) Chemistry takes a lot longer than 2-3 games to develop.  The 2014 Ticats are a good example.

3) You can't surprise the entire league out of the gate 2 years in a row like we did last year.  We're actually going to have to be good to win.

I expect a tighter league this year.  For bad 2014 teams to gain wins, better 2014 teams have to gain losses.  The Renegades or whatever they're called only won 2 games.  I expect that to become at least 4-5. Hamilton was 9-9, and that was due to Collaros learning Austin's offence and him and the whole team being terrible for 1/2 a season.  BC didn't look like a playoff team last year, and I think are a good candidate for regression.  Montreal looks like they're due for a regression.  Toronto... depends on Ricky Ray's effectiveness.  Probably 8-10 to 10-8.  You could argue Edmonton is due for a regression too given the massive jump they made in 2014; but I bet 12-6 or better for them.  They're solid all around.  Cowtown could be the surprise of the group... I see Edmonton winning that division, and a 10-8 ish Calgary isn't out of the question.

We were 7-11 last year and that was good for 2nd worst team in the league.  9-9 or 10-8 gets us to the middle of the pack, and a likely playoff berth.  That's attainable, but Willy's got to stay on his feet longer, progress on a good 2014, and play smart to achieve that.  The defense also has to be much better, and steps were taken there as well. 

If you don't go into a year expecting playoffs, you're a Cleveland Browns fan.  I'd say 9-9 or 10-8 is achievable, but needs an offensive progression to come to fruition or we don't hit this.  I'd call 11-7 a ceiling.  There's just too much change on the defensive side of the ball to go any higher.  Floor?  The floor isn't high with this team.  I could see 3-15 if Willy gets hurt and the defensive chemistry doesn't come together quickly.

Hey Everyone!

I for one am excited for the upcoming 2015 season.  I'm anxiously awaiting kickoff.   I want to point out that I am thrilled with all the work that Walters has done in trying to rebuild this team from laughing stock to respectability.  I'm curious to know what people's expectations for the 2015 season are.  Last year was a good year, and there will be lots to build off.   Does anyone think it's possible we can be playing for the Grey Cup in our backyard?    I realize that in a 9-team league, the Bombers could go to the dance, but I'm wondering would that pressure hurt or help the Bombers this year?

Personally with all the new personnel in place, and all the new acquisitions, I thinking we'll be a .500 team this year.    There's a lot to be said about chemistry tjos year and with so many new faces, I think it'll take us 2-3 games before we get to see what the Bombers are made of.  I like the additions of the o-line, and they should defintiely keep Willy on his feet... but I hope Wiily starts getting rid of the ball a bit quicker and learsn to throw balls away.  I'd rather see a ball thrown out of bounds, then him getting sacked trying to make a play.

Anyways lets hear your thoughts Bomber fans?   What's going to be our achilles heel this year?   What will be our biggest strength?

Cheers!  I can't wait for kickoff!

I love your enthusiasm, but a few things I've learned over the years:

1) Pressure and expectations never help.  Especially with a young team. 

2) Chemistry takes a lot longer than 2-3 games to develop.  The 2014 Ticats are a good example.

3) You can't surprise the entire league out of the gate 2 years in a row like we did last year.  We're actually going to have to be good to win.

I expect a tighter league this year.  For bad 2014 teams to gain wins, better 2014 teams have to gain losses.  The Renegades or whatever they're called only won 2 games.  I expect that to become at least 4-5. Hamilton was 9-9, and that was due to Collaros learning Austin's offence and him and the whole team being terrible for 1/2 a season.  BC didn't look like a playoff team last year, and I think are a good candidate for regression.  Montreal looks like they're due for a regression.  Toronto... depends on Ricky Ray's effectiveness.  Probably 8-10 to 10-8.  You could argue Edmonton is due for a regression too given the massive jump they made in 2014; but I bet 12-6 or better for them.  They're solid all around.  Cowtown could be the surprise of the group... I see Edmonton winning that division, and a 10-8 ish Calgary isn't out of the question.

We were 7-11 last year and that was good for 2nd worst team in the league.  9-9 or 10-8 gets us to the middle of the pack, and a likely playoff berth.  That's attainable, but Willy's got to stay on his feet longer, progress on a good 2014, and play smart to achieve that.  The defense also has to be much better, and steps were taken there as well. 

If you don't go into a year expecting playoffs, you're a Cleveland Browns fan.  I'd say 9-9 or 10-8 is achievable, but needs an offensive progression to come to fruition or we don't hit this.  I'd call 11-7 a ceiling.  There's just too much change on the defensive side of the ball to go any higher.  Floor?  The floor isn't high with this team.  I could see 3-15 if Willy gets hurt and the defensive chemistry doesn't come together quickly

Bah. Just because your a pessimist doesn't mean you need to try and bring someone down to your level.. He's optimistic because we just had one of our best off seasons in a long time...

Pessimistic attitudes get so much play on these forums at times.. Much depressing!

Bah. Just because your a pessimist doesn't mean you need to try and bring someone down to your level.. He's optimistic because we just had one of our best off seasons in a long time...

Pessimistic attitudes get so much play on these forums at times.. Much depressing!

20+ years of futility will do that to rational people.  Optimistic attitudes are helpful, but I just can't take the amount of medication required.  

20+ years of futility will do that to rational people.  Optimistic attitudes are helpful, but I just can't take the amount of medication required.  

I don't know how you can drag yourself to work without optimism never mind invest time and and money on a sports team. 

I don't know how you can drag yourself to work without optimism never mind invest time and and money on a sports team. 

Easy.  My life doesn't entirely revolve around the Bombers.  Also, just because they have flailed about for decades doesn't mean I want that to continue.  I'm sort of like a rational Leafs fan.  I want them to do well, but, you know...

Haven't won a cup in ages but.. it's not like the team has totally sucked the entire time too, yup there were some tough years, for sure no doubt about it but there was also some years where we were or darn near were the best team in the league but just lost the big game, didn't a 14-4 bomber team lost to an 8-10 calgary team in the grey cup? We have been to grey cups, how many in the last 20 years i'm not sure but it's atleast 3 that i can remember. 

The team the last few years (since the kelly year) and even then we were what? 7-11? not terrible but not great, had a chance to get in the playoffs the last game of that year too but blew it huge time, but... since then yeah its been tough, the mack years were tough altho we did go to the grey cup against bc and lost... 

SO really, it's not like we have been doormats for 20 years, we have had damn good teams over the years, have been to the cup a few times for sure, just never won it. People acting like we have been terrible for 20 plus years, it's not really true at all, we just haven't won the last game of the year, but we have definitely had some damn good teams over that time and definitely had several chances to win the grey cup but ultimately came up a bit short. 

Hoping to see an improved coaching performance from O'Shea this year both on and off the field.  Listening to the Coach's Show or any interview with him last year was somewhat "Kellyesque" and akin to the torture of watching QP in the House of Commons.  A whole shitload of non-answers presented as "none of your business".

Hopefully O'Shea takes ownership of the offence, defence and special teams this year and overcomes some of the poor personnel management that was apparent in year one.  Richie Hall gets a bye this year but Pat Tracey should be on probation and I hope Marcel is kept on an extremely tight leash such that there is an actual choke chain around his neck leading from the coach's box down to field level.

I hope Marcel is kept on an extremely tight leash such that there is an actual choke chain around his neck leading from the coach's box down to field level.

I hope you don't mean in creativity, because when we had all our weapons early last year, our offence was creative and gobbled up yards up and down the field.

Our problems started with an unrunning-running game and the woeful lack of protection.

Then the offence was changed and the building block offence we erected all came tumbling down.

Can we blame the OC? Well, we did, to an extent. But all the changes we are making on offence suggest it was more personnel than Coaching, and thus Etch is out and Bellefeuille is still here.

I say take the choke chain collar off and let him loose.