Oilers Win Draft Lottery

What the Buffalo GM said was taken out of context, he basically said he'd rather not be there, I mean really, Buffalo has finished dead last the last 2 seasons and have ended up picking 2 both of them, I'd be pissed if i was Murray too but he did say he was preparing to lose the draft lottery, he wasn't taking a shot at EICHEL, he just basically said, and it's not an exact quote but similar to "i'm not a fan of the process". The process being the GM's or reps of the teams show up, sit there and do nothing for an hour, then fly back. I believe he made a remark saying something like, it would suck to be the kings gm or rep to have to fly across the country really only to find out one minute later, it was pointless and he's right. What should take 5 minutes takes an hour. I wouldn't be happy if i was him either and in no way did he take a shot at Eichel, he actually praised Eichel many times, he just said he'd rather have the 1st than the 2nd, and honestly, who wouldn't. Also i think if a team other than Edmonton would have won (4th first pick in 6 years), he probably wouldn't have said a thing. I'd be pissed if i was the gm or rep of another team, You can do this over the phone, it doesn't need to be a one or 2 hour show on a network. 

Heres what people forget, Wingers don't equal top 4 defenders in trades, it never happens. Centers and D men are equal.. You talking top 4 d, well then the other team would need to send back a top center.. Wingers, as good as hall is even, their value isn't the same as Centers and D men. It's just reality in the NHL. you don't build around wingers, you build around centers and D men. 

It would more than likely be hall plus for Trouba actually cuz d men are way more valuable than wingers. 

Basically what TUP wants to do is become Edmonton, have all this fancy fancy high skilled forwards but no D to get them the pucks. That's crazy..

The more realstic trades with Edmonton would involve Toby or Buff for a Draisatl or Eberle type.

There is no way, no chance in hell, that the Jets move one of their cost controlled young d men for a winger that we don't really need.

Edmontons biggest problem is goaltending and D.. THe Jets aren't a team that will be helping them fix those areas. There is probably just no realistic trades that can be made between winnipeg and Edmonton.

Definitely none involving young core players like Trouba, Scheif,Lowry,Morrissey,Ehlers etc.

Jets would probably be happy to move Toby or Buff but... i'm not sure Edmonton has what it would take to move them or be willing to move what it would take to move them and the young guys are just, well they are UNTOUCHABLE really. 

Just for Fun, I'd bet if we dangled Ladd to Edmonton, they might think about moving one of their kids for sure... cuz Ladd brings exactly what the Oilers lead... they need veteran leadership, that's ladd, they need Veteran D men, they don't need any more kids.. Toby or Buff or Ladd would probably make more sense to the Oilers, not their fans, than Trouba or any of the young guys who won't be traded ever. 

Heres what people forget, Wingers don't equal top 4 defenders in trades, it never happens. Centers and D men are equal.. You talking top 4 d, well then the other team would need to send back a top center.. Wingers, as good as hall is even, their value isn't the same as Centers and D men. It's just reality in the NHL. you don't build around wingers, you build around centers and D men. 

It would more than likely be hall plus for Trouba actually cuz d men are way more valuable than wingers. 

Basically what TUP wants to do is become Edmonton, have all this fancy fancy high skilled forwards but no D to get them the pucks. That's crazy..

The more realstic trades with Edmonton would involve Toby or Buff for a Draisatl or Eberle type.

There is no way, no chance in hell, that the Jets move one of their cost controlled young d men for a winger that we don't really need.

Edmontons biggest problem is goaltending and D.. THe Jets aren't a team that will be helping them fix those areas. There is probably just no realistic trades that can be made between winnipeg and Edmonton.

Definitely none involving young core players like Trouba, Scheif,Lowry,Morrissey,Ehlers etc.

Jets would probably be happy to move Toby or Buff but... i'm not sure Edmonton has what it would take to move them or be willing to move what it would take to move them and the young guys are just, well they are UNTOUCHABLE really. 

Just for Fun, I'd bet if we dangled Ladd to Edmonton, they might think about moving one of their kids for sure... cuz Ladd brings exactly what the Oilers lead... they need veteran leadership, that's ladd, they need Veteran D men, they don't need any more kids.. Toby or Buff or Ladd would probably make more sense to the Oilers, not their fans, than Trouba or any of the young guys who won't be traded ever. 

you really don't know what realistic means do you? Toby is a good defenceman, but the Oilers don't really need a guy like him, They don't need a Ladd either because they have a lot of pieces at forward that are good enough. They need D and a guy like Buff would be good, problem is he has very little term left on his contract so his value is automatically lowered because of that but fans don't take into account contracts when they talk about value and Jets fans will want Eberle + but one year of Buff ain't worth Eberle with his cost certainty and production level for the next 5 years. 

ok, well the flip names lol, we seem to be knee deep in goalie depth, do you make a move while the player (Pav in this case) still has value or do you sit on him cuz your unsure whether or not Hutch is ready to be full time #1.  If you do make a move while hes got decent game still what would you look for in a Buff/Pavelec package?

ok, well the flip names lol, we seem to be knee deep in goalie depth, do you make a move while the player (Pav in this case) still has value or do you sit on him cuz your unsure whether or not Hutch is ready to be full time #1.  If you do make a move while hes got decent game still what would you look for in a Buff/Pavelec package?

That entirely has to do with if the team thinks Hellebuyck is ready to play in the NHL.  They don't rush player development, and given all the success they've had with that policy (and all the failure Atlanta had doing the opposite), they won't change for this case either.

It's really just about creating a timeline for the goalies.  They drafted Hellebuyck and Comrie as future starters, and right now they still project forward as future capable NHL starters.  Pavelec has I believe 2 years left on his contract after this season.  Hutchinson is effectively found money - he was never part of the master plan but we're glad Boston decided he wasn't part of their plans either.

I'm not sure there's a move to be made in the short term.  I don't believe Hutchinson is starter material, but he's on the bubble and could go either way.  Do the Jets take a risk and go with Hutchinson as a starter next year with Hellebuyck as the backup?  That does not seem in their nature.  My guess is Pavelec is the starter for at least one more season before they move in the Hellebuyck direction.

What Hutchinson could be for this franchise is one of the league's best backup goalies, which means that in 3 years time when Comrie is in the equation, the Jets would have the option of keeping the better of Comrie and Hellebuyck and trading the other - a player who also currently projects as a capable NHL starter.  That is likely where the Jets could make a high value trade with a goalie asset.

Pavelec, on the other hand, if traded at the end of next season, likely doesn't offer much return value as the situation where he fits in for another team will be limited.  Despite some moanings and groanings from some people, his contract does not make him untradeable at all (there are only 5 teams in the league who use less cap space on their 2 goalies than the Jets).  It just requires the right situation, something that's needed for almost any trade.

And while unlikely, I could also see the Jets moving Hutchinson and bringing up Hellebuyck to be Pavelec's backup.  Hutch would be an easier trade to make, the value on Hellebuyck's contract makes it doable, and the process of exposing Hellebuyck to NHL minutes begins that much sooner.  In the future that means the team likely has him or Comrie sitting in a backup role, which could be a problem, but it's still the good kind of problem.

I guess none of that rambling is specific to a Jets Oilers trade.  But I also don't see that happening anyways.

I thought there might have been an opportunity to package Pavs to the Oilers.  They probably would bite on a Helle offer but I dont think the Jets would.  Hutch hasnt shown he can be an everyday starter and Comrie is very very young.  Helle is the heir apparent to Pavs right now.  He's at that age where he could play in the NHL so the Oilers would likely take him and rush him and attempt to ruin him.

Morrissey for Eberle closer to reasonable?  I think the Jets are probably not keen on doing that though.

I always forget about Burmi.  he'd worth more to us on our team than in a trade and I'd love to see him come back.  He could be a reasonable consolation prize if Frolik bolts.  If the third line is Ehlers-Lowry-Burmi, I'm intrigued.

I thought there might have been an opportunity to package Pavs to the Oilers.  They probably would bite on a Helle offer but I dont think the Jets would.  Hutch hasnt shown he can be an everyday starter and Comrie is very very young.  Helle is the heir apparent to Pavs right now.  He's at that age where he could play in the NHL so the Oilers would likely take him and rush him and attempt to ruin him.

Morrissey for Eberle closer to reasonable?  I think the Jets are probably not keen on doing that though.

I always forget about Burmi.  he'd worth more to us on our team than in a trade and I'd love to see him come back.  He could be a reasonable consolation prize if Frolik bolts.  If the third line is Ehlers-Lowry-Burmi, I'm intrigued.

Morissey for Eberle wouldn't be close to getting it done.   Eberle is a proven player already, Morissey isn't.

and goalies don't have much value in trades either so don't pretend you're going to get anything of value from anyone for a goaltender. 

You'll get more from a goalie prospect though.

Morissey for Eberle wouldn't be close to getting it done.   Eberle is a proven player already, Morissey isn't.

Morrissey for Eberle is probably a lot closer than we think. But I agree we have to add.

Yeah I dont think we will bother though.  Jets are smart.  They got two solid goalie prospects that shore up that position for potentially many many years, signed a good young goalie to push Pavs.  They have shored up the D through drafting Trouba, Morrissey and others and the trade for Myers.

I think if your top four is Enstrom, Myers, Trouba, Morrissey, you're good to go for a few years.  The bottom two can be made up rather easily through pieces and draft picks.

Buff could net us a solid return, the pick we'd likely want in any trade plus a forward piece.  If they can get a big bodies, stay at home LHD, then all the better.  But a middle-bottom six forward that is effective would be fine.  One of Stafford or Frolik is pretty important to keep I think.

We could be looking at this:

Ladd - Little - Wheeler

Perreault - Scheif - Stafford

Ehlers - Lowry - ??? (Burmi)

Stemp - Copp - Thorburn.

Not bad