Oilers Win Draft Lottery

Eakins was obviously a bad choice but I don't think his effect was that great that it pulled a playoff team down into almost last place in the league.  Maybe Edmonton would have been more competitive.  I think with a good coach and a few veterans, the turnaround could be relatively quick.  But it's going to take a good coach and definitely a few smart additions because the roster still has multiple holes.  They need depth and experience.

No one said good team or playoff team ever, only that Eakins made them worse. Remember this is the team that have two double digit losing streaks with only 1 win in the middle with Eakins around. They were effectively eliminated from the playoffs in November. In the lockout year facing only western teams they were in a playoff position at the trade deadline, under Todd Nelson before they traded Petry and lost their other veteran D to injuries they were basically a .500 team. That's the level that should have been expected. With Eakins they were right back to the basement. 

Downplaying the damage Eakins did is just ignorance of the highest level. I hope someone else hires him just so people can realize how badly he ****** things up in Edmonton. 

Eakins was obviously a bad choice but I don't think his effect was that great that it pulled a playoff team down into almost last place in the league.  Maybe Edmonton would have been more competitive.  I think with a good coach and a few veterans, the turnaround could be relatively quick.  But it's going to take a good coach and definitely a few smart additions because the roster still has multiple holes.  They need depth and experience.

And whether people like it or not, having Conner McDavid in the fold (i.e., winning the lottery) will cause instant fan and media pressure to show immediate and significant improvements. Statements like trending upwards will have to take on a whole new meaning.   

I think the best situation would be to bring in some players who have won before. Easier said than done. But there needs to be a culture change and it can be hard for just a coach to do that. They need some older guys who can show the team the right way to act. Andrew Ference, Benoit Pouliot... I think that was the right idea, but they need a few more.

Eakins was obviously a bad choice but I don't think his effect was that great that it pulled a playoff team down into almost last place in the league. Maybe Edmonton would have been more competitive. I think with a good coach and a few veterans, the turnaround could be relatively quick. But it's going to take a good coach and definitely a few smart additions because the roster still has multiple holes. They need depth and experience.

No one said good team or playoff team ever, only that Eakins made them worse. Remember this is the team that have two double digit losing streaks with only 1 win in the middle with Eakins around. They were effectively eliminated from the playoffs in November. In the lockout year facing only western teams they were in a playoff position at the trade deadline, under Todd Nelson before they traded Petry and lost their other veteran D to injuries they were basically a .500 team. That's the level that should have been expected. With Eakins they were right back to the basement.

Downplaying the damage Eakins did is just ignorance of the highest level. I hope someone else hires him just so people can realize how badly he ****** things up in Edmonton.

Calm down sugar plum, I never said you said they would be a playoff team or a good team. Just stating my thoughts on the matter. I agree Eakins was a bad coach but the roster still needs work as well.

Eakins was obviously a bad choice but I don't think his effect was that great that it pulled a playoff team down into almost last place in the league. Maybe Edmonton would have been more competitive. I think with a good coach and a few veterans, the turnaround could be relatively quick. But it's going to take a good coach and definitely a few smart additions because the roster still has multiple holes. They need depth and experience.

Calm down sugar plum, I never said you said they would be a playoff team or a good team. Just stating my thoughts on the matter. I agree Eakins was a bad coach but the roster still needs work as well.

The roster needs work but it was never as bad as people though it was when Eakins was there. They need 2 top pairing D and a goalie who isn't mentally broken and they'll be fine. I took issue with your statement that you didn't think the Eakins effect was that great. He left a meteorite impact on the team not just in the results but it significantly impacted the trade value and development of players on the team. He set the team back at least 2 years that's a huge negative impact. 

42 points in 15 playoff games for McDavid. Holy crap is he good.

Now you know why the Buffalo GM looked like someone shot his dog and punched his grandma in his interview after the draft. That kid could single-handedly turn Buffalo from suck to blow, much like a young Dale Hawerchuk did for the Jets in 1981.

It's just crazy to think how good McDavid has been these playoffs. Sault St. Marie was an OHL powerhouse and Darnell Nurse is one of the best D prospects in the OHL and a couple years older than McDavid yet McDavid still carried the Otters to a pretty easy win in that series. That's special stuff right there. 

Wow, if I knew this forum contained so much ignorance before, I would've defended 17to85 to no end on the topic of Dallas Eakins. Seriously, the opinion of Dallas Eakins expressed by 17to85 is pretty much unanimous throughout the Oilers fanbase. Eakins was unarguably one of the worst NHL coaches of all-time. No coach would have gotten the Oilers in a playoff spot during his tenure, but he made the team a lot worse than it should have been nevertheless.

Wow, if I knew this forum contained so much ignorance before, I would've defended 17to85 to no end on the topic of Dallas Eakins. Seriously, the opinion of Dallas Eakins expressed by 17to85 is pretty much unanimous throughout the Oilers fanbase. Eakins was unarguably one of the worst NHL coaches of all-time. No coach would have gotten the Oilers in a playoff spot during his tenure, but he made the team a lot worse than it should have been nevertheless.

More so I find it laughable how Eakins has turned into the whipping boy for all of Edmonton's problems.  Nevermind firing Krueger for no real reason in the first place, or putting Eakins in charge of the team when he could have been hired to be an assistant coach under Krueger, having never held any coaching position in the NHL before, or the stunning amount of misses on draft picks outside of the top 3 spots, or ignoring D entirely at draft time, or misjudging the talent level of all D pursued in free agency (and whatever Justin Schultz counts as).

Message received.  This was a team full of potential.  They could have finished 13th in the conference!!!  Maybe even 12th!!!  Eakins torpedoed Edmonton's hopes of finishing 12th!!!  BURN HIM AT THE STAKE!!!

More so I find it laughable how Eakins has turned into the whipping boy for all of Edmonton's problems.  Nevermind firing Krueger for no real reason in the first place, or putting Eakins in charge of the team when he could have been hired to be an assistant coach under Krueger, having never held any coaching position in the NHL before, or the stunning amount of misses on draft picks outside of the top 3 spots, or ignoring D entirely at draft time, or misjudging the talent level of all D pursued in free agency (and whatever Justin Schultz counts as).

Message received.  This was a team full of potential.  They could have finished 13th in the conference!!!  Maybe even 12th!!!  Eakins torpedoed Edmonton's hopes of finishing 12th!!!  BURN HIM AT THE STAKE!!!

It was a young team making progress and Eakins halted that progress and put things in reverse. This isn't trying to pin everything on Eakins, just stating that he was a terrible choice as coach. Him and mact getting the boot has been thebest thing to happen to that franchise in years. Forget McDavid, the real highlight of the season is Chiarelli at GM and likely a legit top coach coming in. Regression is over, progress will resume. 

So where are we in this thread? Did EDM hire Eakins so they could deliberately tank? It's not far fetched. Did anyone think Ted Nolan was going to rescue Buffalo?

I did not see EDM tanking, I just saw a bad team but if they did hire Eakins to delib tank they committed the perfect crime.

So where are we in this thread? Did EDM hire Eakins so they could deliberately tank? It's not far fetched. Did anyone think Ted Nolan was going to rescue Buffalo?

I did not see EDM tanking, I just saw a bad team but if they did hire Eakins to delib tank they committed the perfect crime.

No McTavish bro'ed out with Eakins and gave him the job and refused to fire him when everyone in the world knew he was a terrible choice. Bob Nicholson even had to step in and force McTavish to fire Eakins. rookie GM got taken for a ride by the interview he did with Eakins and he's stubborn enough he wasn't going to admit his mistake. Cost him his job. 

You've posted this a couple of times now. Do we know that for a fact?

No McTavish bro'ed out with Eakins and gave him the job and refused to fire him when everyone in the world knew he was a terrible choice. Bob Nicholson even had to step in and force McTavish to fire Eakins. rookie GM got taken for a ride by the interview he did with Eakins and he's stubborn enough he wasn't going to admit his mistake. Cost him his job. 

You've posted this a couple of times now. Do we know that for a fact?

Around the time just before Eakins was fired there was all sorts of talk that the Oilers were preparing to trade one of their young star players, but all of a sudden those rumours were killed and Bob Nicholson on an Edmonton radio show casually mentioned that he was now more involved in hockey operations. Then in the press conference to announce the coaching change McTavish spent the whole thing defending Eakins and making excuses for him. He even said "I have no good reason to fire Dallas other than results". Pretty easy to do the math there. MacT was ready to trade someone like Hall to try and save Eakins hide, NIcholson stepped in and put the brakes on that idiocy and told him to fire the moron already. Then when they actually make it official with NIcholson being the head of hockey operations he wastes no time in replacing McTavish as GM.

So is there a direct quote saying it happened that way? No but the facts all point to that. Especially when you consider how McTavish kept praising Eakins long after he was fired and downplaying the job Nelson had done. McTavish really did believe Eakins was a brilliant coach, everyone else could see that the guy was a disaster a month into the first season with him.